Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats the view of the Homers, Romic v RP3?

It's a long time since I've ridden a Romic on a Spot over twelve months, mine has an RP3. Who's ridden them back to back recently? How much difference is there in the way the Romic tracks the ground compared to the Fox? I know many on here say the RP3 is the ideal foil for the Spot just wondering if it's worth picking up a used Romic so I've got a coil option. The DHX won't fit, small '03 frame.

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
I was wondering the same thing when I first pickup my Spot. When I called up Turner to register the frame for warranty, I asked Casey what he though about the idea of picking one up for a backup. He said that while it might be good to have a backup shock, he said that he didnt' see a point and himself ever going back to a Romic.

_MK

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
Paul5s said:
Whats the view of the Homers, Romic v RP3?

It's a long time since I've ridden a Romic on a Spot over twelve months, mine has an RP3. Who's ridden them back to back recently? How much difference is there in the way the Romic tracks the ground compared to the Fox? I know many on here say the RP3 is the ideal foil for the Spot just wondering if it's worth picking up a used Romic so I've got a coil option. The DHX won't fit, small '03 frame.
I recently tested (for a couple of weeks) an RP3 on my spot and was comparing it to my Romic. I think that the RP3 did every bit as well as the Romic. I won't say that it was better....I really do like the Romic performance.

Having said that...The RP3 is more adjustable....just add or subtract air AND it weighs aout a pound less.

Bottom line.....I think the performance is equal. The Romic has the advantage of being a coil and if the shock fails....you can still ride home. The RP3 has the advantage of weight and finer adjustability (romic springs only come in 50 pound increments). The downside to the RP3 is currently reliability. It's the first year for the RP3 and Fox should have the bugs worked out soon.....if not already.

I'm planning on getting the RP3 to use either as a backup or the main shock.....I haven't yet decided which way to go.

Hope that helps.

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
I had two Romics and sold them both because I *personally* think the RP3 offers a noticeably superior ride. Better than the DHX (on the 5-Spot anyway) as well.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies :)

My thoughts on the RP3 were following a similar line in that it was at least the equal of the Romic, but memory is a funny thing especially mine ;) So I thought I better double check.

I guess I will keep the Magura air shock that I've got as a spare rather than going out and spending on a Romic. So if the worst happens I can still ride.

Hmm what to do with that UGI fund now ;)

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Stand Back "junkie"

Whew, if you search the forum for DHX and RP3 and check the cheezy comments you'll get more info than you could ever assimilate (or than I could anyway). There are some very definite opinions about the two shocks postulated in this forum. I've recently picked up a lightly used DHX for my Spot and I'm very happy with it.An obviously better platform than the Romic and more fine tuning options than I will ever require. AND it satisfied the UGI Gods for the moment.

·
Daniel the Dog
6,764 Posts
Turner sells Fox products on their bikes....

MK_ said:
I was wondering the same thing when I first pickup my Spot. When I called up Turner to register the frame for warranty, I asked Casey what he though about the idea of picking one up for a backup. He said that while it might be good to have a backup shock, he said that he didnt' see a point and himself ever going back to a Romic.

_MK
Do you really expect Casey or any Turner employee to say, "Oh, yaw, I like Romic shocks the best." Nah! Not gonna happen. I have talked to Turner about what shock they like best. Guess which fork like they like best. Fox! Hmmmm.

Jaybo

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Paul5s said:
...just wondering if it's worth picking up a used Romic so I've got a coil option.
I own both and don't see any reason to run the Romic, but if curiosity is getting the best of you, you can always pick up a Romic for fairly cheap off of the classifieds, including mine ;).

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
DT specs what he feels is the best rear shock on the bikes, and designs them around what he feels is the best fork for the application. He actually resisted speccing Romics, I believe, but seemed to cave in to pressure to spec them based on consumer demand, and that's where the special Romic rockers came from.

Fox has the best shocks on the market currently. If you cannot deal with that, it is your problem, not Turner's. There is nothing "wrong" with Romics (when they aren't barfing oil), but to say that Turner needs to stick with the Romics when they have been surpassed in performance is wildly silly. Turner probably got sick of people calling them up and complaining about their shocks leaking and asking for RP3s. I sold all my Romics, and it is not because I am sponsored by Fox.

Once again you prove yourself totally immune to the concept of a meritocracy, Jaybo.

·
Banned
11,257 Posts
tscheezy said:
DT specs what he feels is the best rear shock on the bikes, and designs them around what he feels is the best fork for the application. He actually resisted speccing Romics, I believe, but seemed to cave in to pressure to spec them based on consumer demand, and that's where the special Romic rockers came from.

Fox has the best shocks on the market currently. If you cannot deal with that, it is your problem, not Turner's. There is nothing "wrong" with Romics (when they aren't barfing oil), but to say that Turner needs to stick with the Romics when they have been surpassed in performance is wildly silly. Turner probably got sick of people calling them up and complaining about their shocks leaking and asking for RP3s. I sold all my Romics, and it is not because I am sponsored by Fox.

Once again you prove yourself totally immune to the concept of a meritocracy, Jaybo.
well said sir.

my Romic on my X-5 worked well at all times. so did the Van RC ProPedal on the Scream I rode last season. and so is the DHX on my Pack! best at the time isn't always best right now.

so Tscheezy when are you getting a DHX Air to try?

·
Baked Alaskan
1,810 Posts
Jaybo said:
Do you really expect Casey or any Turner employee to say, "Oh, yaw, I like Romic shocks the best." Nah! Not gonna happen. I have talked to Turner about what shock they like best. Guess which fork like they like best. Fox! Hmmmm.

Jaybo
Not to pile on, but riding the two back to back the difference is obvious -- the DHX is clearly a superior shock when compared to the Romic. I had two Romic's, but like others, I am now Romic free.

But your statement is pretty funny when you consider the fact that the Romic is the Spot's original shock. So at some point the Turner folk had a high enough opinion to spec them.

·
Daniel the Dog
6,764 Posts
You need a laxative and to wipe that brown off your nose

tscheezy said:

First, pull your lips of Casey and the boy's ass! Second, Fox may have the best rear shock on the market--depending on what you like. I have never had anything but grief with Fox shocks: rear and front. Third, meritocracy coming from an Alaskan State employee. *LOL* Sorry, had to put that :).

Relax. You take this stuff way to serious. Turner makes good bikes. However, this stuff It ain't a religion. It just fun.

Jaybo

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
You were talking about Fox, not Turner. If anyone is obsessed about them it seems to be you as you twist everthing back to that topic. You always stuggle against the tide, but eventually you actually TRY the stuff we suggest and end up agreeing. Why do we always have to go through this Jaybo-the-self-proclaimed-detached-contrarian nonsense?

And as long as you made this leap too, I may as well clear up your ignorance...

The Alaska State Constitution said:
The legislature shall establish a system under which the merit principle will govern the employment of persons by the State.
The State Personnel Act (AS 39.25) was enacted to establish the Executive Branch system of personnel administration based upon the merit principle and adapted to the requirements of the state with the result that persons best qualified to perform the functions of the state will be employed, and that an effective career service will be encouraged, developed and maintained. The regulations adopted to implement the Personnel Act, commonly referred to as the Personnel Rules, can be found in the Alaska Administrative Code at 2 AAC 07.005

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
Update

I've been giving this topic a lot of thought.

If I were buying a 5 spot today, and had the choice between the Romic and the RP3...I have to admit....I'd go with the RP3. My comments above had more to do with my current situation. I can keep the Romic for free...or upgrade to the RP3 for $320 - $350. The difference wasn't enough for me to spend the money....right now. I also think that I'm a bit over-protective of the equipment that I currently use. Human nature is funny.

Of course...now I'm interested to find out about the new DHX Air :rolleyes:

·
Registered Dietitian
1,908 Posts
Don't sweat it, Junkie-

cycljunkie said:
I just recently sold an RP3 and have a DHX on order for my 5 Spot. Aside from weight what did you like better about the RP3 over the DHX?
I've tried both and I preferred the DHX (I've owned Romics, too). The RP3 was a great shock as well, the selling points for me were the additional tuning options of the DHX as well as the aforementioned coil reliability (not that air shocks aren't very reliable these days as well). Plus I'm running a Z1 FR up front, so I wanted to match coil w/ coil (not 100% necessary, but makes me feel better).

If weight were an issue, I'd have gone with the RP3 and lord knows what fork (since stiffness is an issue as well).

Tommy

Attachments

·
Banned
7,131 Posts
Blue Shorts said:
The Romic has the advantage of being a coil and if the shock fails....you can still ride home.
No, not really. When I tried to ride the bike back (slowly) it would seperate into 3 seperate parts, it wasn't possible to ride it.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.