Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
George Dickel
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been on a few rides since I got the ol' Romic maintenance performed. Cost: $34 plus 9 bucks in shipping. They took my weight, bike ('04 Spot with 5.5 rockers), spring weight. Total turnaround time of a couple weeks. Not exactly a PUSH type of deal, but worth it in my book. I liked this shock before, and really like it now. The compression dial gives a much greater range of use, the shock does not have that small annoying squeak anymore, and the overall ride with it is improved. For the relatively few bucks it cost to send it in, it is worth it. I know most people don't ride these anymore, or just use it for a back up, but I think this is the best rear shock I have ridden (includes manitou, fox vanilla and rp3 and 5th element.) A pushed vanilla would probably be better, but for now I'll stick with the ugly red coil. Merry Christmas. and Kwanzaa, or Chaka Khan, or festivus to all...

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
Often times I've wondered what a tuned Romic could do compared to the current offerings. Perhaps it's not a CCDB/AVY deal, but it could possibly stand somewhere in line with the RP23 and DHX offerings. I posted in the past, I believe, and I think either there, or scattered, some didn't like it, some preferred it, etc.

·
George Dickel
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I really like the romic because it feels really supple but doesn't wallow or feel mushy under pedal. Now the compression damping feels even better - controlled but not overwhelming, if that makes sense. I am tempted to pick another up on fleabay just in case this one heads south, although knock on wood it has been used a bunch with no issues. Maybe I need to tell the wife that a titanium coil would be the perfect b-day gift. :thumbsup:

·
... I guess you won't be
1,984 Posts
My Romic has been sitting in a drawer for over 2 years.....I liked it when I was running it, but as fate would have it, I came across a new RP3 for next to nothing, and sent it to Push - after the stock air can seal lip cracked after just 2 weeks of riding! The pushed RP3, w/ the optional DHA air can upgrade was super supple and still is - it's hard to describe. but it's just wonderfully damped. It's not that the Romic was that far off, but the Pushed RP3 was tuned much better for my weight. That probably makes a bigger difference on any shock vs a modded one.

I've got to remember to find that Romic, and send it out this winter for a freshening [I remember the blue platform knob really wasn't doing anything anymore] and see how it compares. 35 bux is a really good deal.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Romic's were and still are great shocks. Ahead of it's time when it first came out and still better than many. Hard to beat for super supple performance while still offering a stable platform.

They just really screwed the pooch, by not get the leakage problem around the compression knob fixed in a timely manner. Not to mention that after the first fix didn't work, it only compounded the perception that the shock was junk. Couple that with the internet's ability to relay negative info at supersonic speeds and Romic died overnight, a great shock killed by a bad o-ring.:madman:

The leakage problems seem to be fixed, but Roger has thrown in the towel on continued production. A shame IMO.

·
%$#$*!
811 Posts
I had a Romic that was tuned for me. It was a very good feeling shock. The only thing I didn't like about the Romic (and why I didn't keep it) was the bottom out control. The bumper was too small and stiff and with everything else set up the way I liked it, it bottomed out too harshly for my tastes.

For comparison, I also have a push vanilla rc and a chubie. The avy is the best shock I've ever used. I also like my push van rc better than the romic in the fast chop and drops.

I like the romic better than the push fox float r that I've had though. They push float r was on a different bike with a slightly higher leverage ratio than my frankenrfx so it may not be a fair comparison.

·
Registered
447 Posts
beefmagic said:
I had a Romic that was tuned for me. It was a very good feeling shock. The only thing I didn't like about the Romic (and why I didn't keep it) was the bottom out control. The bumper was too small and stiff and with everything else set up the way I liked it, it bottomed out too harshly for my tastes.

For comparison, I also have a push vanilla rc and a chubie. The avy is the best shock I've ever used. I also like my push van rc better than the romic in the fast chop and drops.

I like the romic better than the push fox float r that I've had though. They push float r was on a different bike with a slightly higher leverage ratio than my frankenrfx so it may not be a fair comparison.
You hit the nail on the head. Romics were not really designed to be progressive shocks. They work best on bikes with progressive linkages. Hence why Dave was willing to design the 04 DHR around the Romic. Remember, nothing else really fit that bike, before the custom DHX that is.

And you are again correct. Avy shocks rule:thumbsup:

·
%$#$*!
811 Posts
I wish the Romic had a bottom out adjustment feature that could compensate for more linear designs. I agree that it's a shame that Romic stopped production. It would have been nice to see the next evolution of the shock. It's always nice to have more players in the field!

·
Registered
12,228 Posts
Has anyone opened up their romic at home?

I've still got one from around 2003, it still works most of the time but every now and then the rebound runs away.
Probably some debris holding a shim open.

My biggest problem was the lack of springs in that size for many years.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
40,401 Posts
RickyD said:
They just really screwed the pooch, by not get the leakage problem around the compression knob fixed in a timely manner.
Well, it wasn't just a leakage problem, it was a huge issue of poor QC/design. Mine blew 3x and only 2 weeks apart (roughly 3 rides each time) each time. When it puked they told me it was due to the "adjuster" thing, although it wasn't leaking oil from there and the shock wasn't even in the batch that was supposedly "bad". In other words they tried to cover up one problem with another, and they did this knowingly. Then there was the time the piston blew apart and the shaft came out of the shock, resulting from "piston drag" according to them, this time was fun cause the shock essentially broke into 3 peices.

They basically used the "o-ring" thing to cover up a mess of problems.

I gotta say, the romic shock was one of the absolute worst products I've ever used. You are right that the performance was pretty good when it was working, but the QC was so bad that it was a lost cause and no amount of rebuilds can make up for poor QC that requires constant rebuilds.

In any case, I do need a 550lb romic spring. :thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
447 Posts
Jayem said:
Well, it wasn't just a leakage problem, it was a huge issue of poor QC/design. Mine blew 3x and only 2 weeks apart (roughly 3 rides each time) each time. When it puked they told me it was due to the "adjuster" thing, although it wasn't leaking oil from there and the shock wasn't even in the batch that was supposedly "bad". In other words they tried to cover up one problem with another, and they did this knowingly. Then there was the time the piston blew apart and the shaft came out of the shock, resulting from "piston drag" according to them, this time was fun cause the shock essentially broke into 3 peices.

They basically used the "o-ring" thing to cover up a mess of problems.

I gotta say, the romic shock was one of the absolute worst products I've ever used. You are right that the performance was pretty good when it was working, but the QC was so bad that it was a lost cause and no amount of rebuilds can make up for poor QC that requires constant rebuilds.

In any case, I do need a 550lb romic spring. :thumbsup:
Sorry, I guess I'm not sure where I said the problems were "JUST" the o-ring. It was however the biggest problem. My primary point was that Romic did screw up by not addressing the problems promptly. Thought I made that point.

But the main problem WAS the compression knob o-ring. Sure you had another problem and of course others also had different problems, just like with any shock manufacturer, but the compression o-ring was the MAIN problem. Considering what a simple fix it was, it's amazing how long it took to fix.

I remember when you had all your problems and your original post when your shock broke. But you can hardly argue that that particular problem was a common and consistent problem with most Romic shocks.

I've been running a Romic shock on at least one bike since their first year of production. Originally everyone I had leaked at the compression o-ring, every single one. One or two also leaked at the rebound. But I have not had a single problem in over 4 years. I'm currently running one on my sons DH bike and have a backup that hasn't had to be used. I also run one on my other sons 5 spot, been on there for 3 years without a rebuild and still going strong. At one point I had a Romic shock on every bike. That's myself and 3 son's racing DH and on our trail bikes. I never had the nightmare problems you had.

Here's a pic of my son taken last season on his Romic equipped DHR, shock had 2 seasons on it since it's last rebuild. I'd say its working fine. How 'bout you?

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.