Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Living the Dream
Joined
·
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, I know a lot has been posted about the romics for 5 Spots on this site. My 5 spot & I just celebrated our 1 Year anniversary together. I have not had any problems with my Romic during this time. Is any one else happy with their ROMIC? I was wondering if anyone has had their's custom valved by ROMIC and how happy they are with it. I am trying to avoid getting hyped into gettting a DHX for it. I like how spring the romic is compared to the 5th element on by bullit.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,131 Posts
I had my romic custom valved

It blew too

For the long term romic owners (that have not had a failure) this is the question you must ask; is your compression adjuster just as effective as it was on day one?

If so, congradulations, enjoy your shock.
 

·
Lay off the Levers
Joined
·
10,127 Posts
Jm. said:
I had my romic custom valved

It blew too

For the long term romic owners (that have not had a failure) this is the question you must ask; is your compression adjuster just as effective as it was on day one?

If so, congradulations, enjoy your shock.
Another data point...
My shock is 1 year old..and I hesitate to state that it has never blown. (I hesitate b/c right after I said I never bent a der hanger, or broke a cogset I did both:rolleyes: .)

Anyway my Romic Story: After about 4-5mo's I noticed purely by chance that the compression knob had become innefective. I sent it back to Romic for a off-season rebuild and had it revalved while it was there. (BBT=Big Boy Treatment) so far I have about 4mos of real ride time on it (season started late Apr) and I just happened to futz with the compression settings today. It worked wonderfully. 4 clicks stiff platform some small bump compliance. 2 clicks very active without a lot of mushyness or wallow.

I don't know how long it'll hold up, but I believe the Romic's blow-out potential has nothing to do with the valving. I believe it's the valve body and seals that blow and I really don't think, adjustments, settings, orientation or valving has any effect on longevity. Either the shock is gonna blow or it isn't

What I don't know is if it is a repairable/replaceable problem or they simply have to chuck out the whole damper. It seems like the folks who have blown shocks continue to blow them after they're "fixed" and the ones that haven't blown carry on... The way I ride I'm sure I would have killed the shock if it was going to happen b/c of useage or settings....and now that I said this I'm going to expect a pool of oil under my bike any day now:rolleyes: .

The good news is Romic has great CS...the bad news is the chances of needing that CS seems pretty high.

Cheers Gears and Beers!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,131 Posts
Bikezilla said:
I don't know how long it'll hold up, but I believe the Romic's blow-out potential has nothing to do with the valving. I believe it's the valve body and seals that blow and I really don't think, adjustments, settings, orientation or valving has any effect on longevity. Either the shock is gonna blow or it isn't
yeah, i can't think of a correlation, I had mine valved heavier, and perhaps that would put more pressure on the shock, but not widely out of the range that it handles every day, in the big scheme of things, it's not the valving that would cause it to go, it would be the seals, bushings, alignment, etc...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,352 Posts
It is working fine

I had it for about 6 months and > 1500 miles (I took off my computer at 1300) without a problem.

The compression adjuster still works like new but I could probably use some costum valving when time for a rebuild comes because anything more that 2/3 clicks in the compression introduces a compression spike of sort (I am 145 pounds).

The Fox is not really an option, is it? It does not seem to fit a medium frame.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,345 Posts
Mine is fine

Alpenglow said:
First, I know a lot has been posted about the romics for 5 Spots on this site. My 5 spot & I just celebrated our 1 Year anniversary together. I have not had any problems with my Romic during this time. Is any one else happy with their ROMIC? I was wondering if anyone has had their's custom valved by ROMIC and how happy they are with it. I am trying to avoid getting hyped into gettting a DHX for it. I like how spring the romic is compared to the 5th element on by bullit.
I have had custom valving on my shock for well over a year. In that time it has been in there once last spring for an oil change and just last week for another oil change and the new upgraded o-ring that is said to stop the compression adjuster leaking. I also have a stock Romic, it has gone through the same exact time cycle of oil change and the new o-ring upgrade. I had a leak on one 16 months ago, since that repair, not a single problem.
my valving did not change throughout any of this. Roger at Romic said NO failures at a recent NORBA to the shocks with this new o-ring installed, or any failures of any kind in the last month to shocks with this new 0-ring installed. Maybe it is all taken care of, maybe it will take more time (a few months) to find out. Both of mine are working flawless with the new o-ring in there.
I am quite happy with the shock and its performance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,814 Posts
Romic

I talked to them today and they have re designed the seal around the shaft so that should help. My shock was among that first bad batch on the 5 spots and after the rebuild it's been good.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,040 Posts
Got the BBT as well for the Romic on...

...my RFX. Sent in for same reason - compression adjuster stopped working, called for warranty repair and they sold me on the BBT. Worked fine right up until I attempted to lighten the RFX with air bits.

Now it's back on after a 9 month sabbatical...we'll see if she's lost anything while being "on the beach". Running with 6" travel rockers for 3:1 leverage, 750# spring.

Sean
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top