Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a lightly used vanilla RC with the intention of sending it off to Push Ind.
to replace or be a backup to the Romic. This is on a 5-spot.

The shock didn't come with a spring...I need to get one. So, i was wondering what peoples experiences were when comparing the spring rate of the two shocks.

I have a 550# on the Romic which performs well. Does this mean a 550# for the vanilla would be about right?

·
Rides like wrecking ball
1,122 Posts
Neither Romic nor Fox/Push use anything other than the spring to control sag. If you are happy with the sag on your Romic use the same spring weight on your Fox/Push. That's what I did and it worked out as planned.

·
Registered
850 Posts
I went from stock romic (650) to DHX(600). It feels fine with 50lbs less, but without testing each spring they could both actually be identical. Ive learned in the past the process of making a spring has some tolerance and the bigger the number, the harder to hold the tolerance. We had 2 "900"lb springs that were made at the same place and when tested they were off by 70lbs or so 9its been a while...i forget the exact#),,,, this test was done on a MTS system thats dead nuts accurate.

I would think alot would depend on how push sets it up for you. Im sure with valving they can make that spring work with your weight.....

One other thing .. .isnt the romic spring too big for the stock RC retainers?? another thing to think about ig your planning on using the romic spring....

·
Registered
611 Posts
Yep.

I do in fact live in Driggs, ID and I can't imagine living anywhere else. Although our biking season is shorter than most, we have great riding and I rarely see another person on a ride. There is a shop in town called Big Hole Sports. The Big Hole Mtns border one side of the valley. PM me is you have a specific question about the shop.

DHRracer said:
Dave is that Driggs Idaho,How is it there?What do you know about a shop called Hole in the Wall Sports?I believe that was the name?

·
Registered
105 Posts
maya said:
I picked up a lightly used vanilla RC with the intention of sending it off to Push Ind.
to replace or be a backup to the Romic. This is on a 5-spot.

The shock didn't come with a spring...I need to get one. So, i was wondering what peoples experiences were when comparing the spring rate of the two shocks.

I have a 550# on the Romic which performs well. Does this mean a 550# for the vanilla would be about right?
If you're going to send you shock in to Push, best to just ask for a recommendation when you send in your sales order form. Did just that for an 03 Stinky and Push told me what spring rate to use based on rider weight, style/terrain, and also factoring in how they are planning to set up the multirange (slow, mid & fast) compression damping. They even recommended different rates depending on the mountain position for the shock (i.e. either linear or progressive mode). We'll see how it turns out when we get the shock back. However, I'd say that short of a lot of trial and error on your part, Push is probably your best bet for estimating spring rates.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.