Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been running the RP23 since I purchased my RFX. I had an air fork up front and went coil and have been immensely impressed w/ the coil over air. I decided I should give a coil a shot in the rear. I originally thought about the Roco TST coil as it has a lockout for lazy fireroad climbs. Funds are quite tight w/ the holidays so when a Romic presented itself @ a rock bottom price I couldn't resist. So from past experience w/ Romic's, old Van's ran springs w/ a higer rate than say DHX's, Roco's on the same frames. A search came up w/ a few people running 600 - 700lb. springs on older RFX's w/ newer shocks. Online calc's listed 700lb + for my 205 - 210lb. weight .... Any recomendations for a spring rate ? Thanks.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
40,275 Posts

·
George Dickel
371 Posts
As a current Romic user...

I find that calculator to give me a spring that is too stiff - it says I should use a 600lb spring, but I am currently very happy with a 500lb spring and about 2 turns preload on my '04 spot with 5.5 rockers. Don't really know what the sag is, but it is more like 30% plus, not xc racerish 20%. I have remarked before that Romic will service the shock for you, and at least they want to know what bike, your weight and leverage ratio (don't know how much they actual "tune" it for you). For around $40 it is a good deal - it definitely rides better, and the compression and rebound knobs seem to have greater effect. I go about 190lbs RTR. I have a fox rp3 that is not nearly as nice as the romic - I think you will like the coil more. Not sure about your spring size, but I have a 600X2.25 sitting in my basement I will never use - if it suits your needs let me know and I will send it to you.

·
Registered
9,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ORVH said:
I find that calculator to give me a spring that is too stiff - it says I should use a 600lb spring, but I am currently very happy with a 500lb spring and about 2 turns preload on my '04 spot with 5.5 rockers. Don't really know what the sag is, but it is more like 30% plus, not xc racerish 20%. I have remarked before that Romic will service the shock for you, and at least they want to know what bike, your weight and leverage ratio (don't know how much they actual "tune" it for you). For around $40 it is a good deal - it definitely rides better, and the compression and rebound knobs seem to have greater effect. I go about 190lbs RTR. I have a fox rp3 that is not nearly as nice as the romic - I think you will like the coil more. Not sure about your spring size, but I have a 600X2.25 sitting in my basement I will never use - if it suits your needs let me know and I will send it to you.
PM sent...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.