Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be getting a black 5 spot tomorrow but it will come with a 400 lb spring and I weigh about 168 lb with gear therefore although I haven't ridden one but I guess I need a 500 lb spring. (At least that's what Casey at turner told me)
Anybody willing to sell a new or used 500lb spring for romic ??

dmz

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
dmz said:
I will be getting a black 5 spot tomorrow but it will come with a 400 lb spring and I weigh about 168 lb with gear therefore although I haven't ridden one but I guess I need a 500 lb spring. (At least that's what Casey at turner told me)
Anybody willing to sell a new or used 500lb spring for romic ??

dmz
I'm currently using a 500# spring with basically no preload. I weigh about 180 - 185 with gear. If anything, the 500# is a little stiff. I also occasionally run a 450# spring.

500# sounds a bit stiff to me, but Casey is the expert. Maybe you ride more upright than me. That would put more of your weight over rear wheel.

It would be better if you could test out the springs prior to purchase.

Where do you live? If you're anywhere near my area (San Francisco / Monterey Bay Area), I can lend you the springs to try. If you're not in my area, there are probably other riders near you that may help.

Some bike shops, like ABS in Santa Cruz, stock multiple spring weights and will swap them for their customers.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Blue Shorts said:
I'm currently using a 500# spring with basically no preload. I weigh about 180 - 185 with gear. If anything, the 500# is a little stiff. I also occasionally run a 450# spring.

500# sounds a bit stiff to me, but Casey is the expert. Maybe you ride more upright than me. That would put more of your weight over rear wheel.

It would be better if you could test out the springs prior to purchase.

Where do you live? If you're anywhere near my area (San Francisco / Monterey Bay Area), I can lend you the springs to try. If you're not in my area, there are probably other riders near you that may help.

Some bike shops, like ABS in Santa Cruz, stock multiple spring weights and will swap them for their customers.
Hey, thanks for the suggestions.

Unfortunately I live in midwest (Chicago) so I'm out of luck.
I saw only one rider with 5 Spot so far so I guess they are not that popular here....
Well, I guess I will try to 400lb spring and see if it is OK with me.

dmz

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
dmz said:

I saw only one rider with 5 Spot so far so I guess they are not that popular here....

dmz
See what sag you get with the 400# spring. If you know the sag with the 400# spring, you will be able to better guage the "correct" spring rate necessary.

I have a couple of programs that can be used to guage the correct spring rate. If you can tell me what the sag is with zero preload (400# spring), then I can calculate what the correct spring rate should be. Test the 400# with one half of a turn preload from initial contact. Also see how much sag you get at full preload (3 turns from initial spring contact). Do not add more than 3 turns of preload.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Blue Shorts said:
See what sag you get with the 400# spring. If you know the sag with the 400# spring, you will be able to better guage the "correct" spring rate necessary.

I have a couple of programs that can be used to guage the correct spring rate. If you can tell me what the sag is with zero preload (400# spring), then I can calculate what the correct spring rate should be. Test the 400# with one half of a turn preload from initial contact. Also see how much sag you get at full preload (3 turns from initial spring contact). Do not add more than 3 turns of preload.
I will do exactly what you said and let you know in this thread.
Thanks!

dmz

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
dmz said:

dmz
I weigh 175 with gear and run a 500lb spring and it is super plush. Read this thread for spring size vs. weight ranges:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=21898&highlight=160

500# is for 160-180
450# is for 140-160

400# would be way too soft for you.

Also, drive down to St. Louis for some weekend riding and you can try out my 500# spring on your bike. It's only 4-4.5 hours away and the trails are *vastly* superior (I'm a Chicago transplant).

·
mad aussie
1,129 Posts
I have an xtra 500

I have a 500# spring that came on mine (I'm pretty sure, will check it when I get home tonight), I changed it for a 450 which is nice and plush for me. If you decide you want the 500 then PM me and I will send it to you for the cost of shipping only.

KR

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just sent you a PM.

Flying Wombat said:
I have a 500# spring that came on mine (I'm pretty sure, will check it when I get home tonight), I changed it for a 450 which is nice and plush for me. If you decide you want the 500 then PM me and I will send it to you for the cost of shipping only.

KR
Hey, thanks a lot!!
Do you mind asking your riding weight with gear?

dmz

·
mad aussie
1,129 Posts
I probably weigh about 150-155 with gear (depending on water in the camelback and whatever else I cram in there). The 500 was a little too firm even with zero preload. It does seem that the Romic gets quite a bit plusher over time.

KR

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
Variables

dmz said:
Hey, thanks a lot!!
Do you mind asking your riding weight with gear?

dmz
You'll notice some difference of opinion as to what the correct spring rate should be. There are a few variables that are causing that:

1) Rider position. - 2 riders of the same weight may require different rates due to different weight distribution.

2) Sag - 20%, 25%, 30%, 35%? What sag is everyone running with the recommended springs?

3) Accurate rider weight - Are we sure that the "riding weights" posted are accurate? I tend to doubt it. I'm gonna weigh myself before a ride this weekend.

4) Personal preference - Some riders like a plusher ride and some prefer a stiffer, more xc ride. Spring rates will vary for the same weight riders.

Unless you're getting springs for free......Test ride the one that comes on the bike. The results will allow you to make a good choice for your riding style.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts