Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All!
I am looking for someone that can show me the Romero/San Ysidro loop. I want to see if it is a good ride to add to our club ride. I have ridden Romero many times, but never San Ysidro and don't know how to connect it or if it is even a good XC addition to Romero.

Thanks in advance for your help!

WE

·
Pixie Dust Addict
3,365 Posts
My recommendation would be to park at or near the SY trailhead on East Mountain Drive (just east of the San Ysidro Ranch), and do the ride to the Romero trailhead on Mountain Drive first. Then you can climb Romero all the way to East Camino Cielo, turn left, and head west a couple of miles to the San Ysidro trailhead. Another option, once you get near the top of Romero, is to take the side trail off to the left that's at about the 6 mile mark on Romero Canyon Road (at the saddle where you can see up and down the coast) to get to E. Camino Cielo. I'll leave it to others to give you more info on the San Ysidro trail itself.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
awesome thank you! Ok, so when we take San Ysidro, where does that take us? Do we park at the bottom of Romero?

Thanks so much for your help, much appreciated!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just re read the post, so I see to go ahead and park at the bottom of Romero, but where does San Ysidro trail bring you out of at the bottom?

Thanks!

·
Pixie Dust Addict
3,365 Posts
My opinion is that you'd be better off parking at the San Ysidro trailhead on East Mountain drive, pedal East Mountain to Bella Vista to Romero Canyon (about 3 miles or so with some climbing) and then climb up Romero. San Ysidro trail comes out on East Mountain Drive, just to the east of the San Ysidro Ranch. The trailhead for San Ysidro at the top is signed (it's small) so you need to keep a close eye out for it. When the rain stops, I'm planning on doing a ride from downtown SB up Gibraltar, across E. Camino Cielo, and down Romero. I'll try and remember to snap some pictures of the trailhead and a few of the key landmarks if you'd like.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Wish I was there for that ride-have ridden Tunnel twice on trips there and part of Romero one morning. California dreamin'..............................

·
Registered
729 Posts
Hiked Romero yesterday, up the road, to the junction with the trail and down the trail from there. Conditions really good, not very wet at all. A few small wet sections here and there.

Now I'm really itching to ride it but I hear rain on tap for this coming weekend.

·
Registered
729 Posts
The lower section is still fire road, but above the power lines, it has reverted back to singletrack, although a lot less rugged than before it was graded for fire suppression. It's really like fire road w/ low weeds making it into singletrack.

The trail is same as it was, true singletrack.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts