Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
rack admirer
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a Boston area rider going to Rome, NY labor day weekend because my wife will be attending a wedding shower. I would like to avoid this event and head out for a day of MTB. I am looking for area classics and starting here. Ideally something within 90 minutes' drive and something navigable by a first timer with adequate maps and skills. 3-4 hours on the trail. I am not looking for a rail trail.
I appreciate any knowledge, experience and opinion that you wish to share.
Thanks a million
Mike

·
Rollin' a fatty
5,863 Posts
Check out with the Oneida Mountain Bike Riders on Facebook for their rides, they ride Colgate on Thursdays starting from Good Nature Brewing and a weekly group ride on Saturdays. The Saturday ride location is disclosed on their FB group on Thursday morning.

Close to Rome there is Mount Hope and probably the trails at Hamilton College or New Hartford Town Park but at 90 min you can find trials on every direction, use Trailforks or MTB Project.

·
Wanna ride bikes?
9,797 Posts
Subscribed.

I'm sure I'm not as knowledgeable as these guys ^, only been there once, but while passing through Old Forge last year I found the trails a little under whelming and not technical enough to be super fun. We used Trail Forks and followed the most challenging tails, pretty meh IMO. Not good enough to repeat.

Next time I pass through (in a couple weeks) I'll try something else hoping for some more elevation and technical riding.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Another DH flow trail just opened up last week on the Maple Ridge section, Dirt Safari. Rode it on Saturday and it is awesome; big berms, singles, doubles, table tops. You can ride it fast and get big air or ride it slower and roll over stuff like I do. There's also a new climbing trail to get you to the top of Dirt Safari and we are working on another new climbing trail on the Max Back part of the ski hill.

·
Wanna ride bikes?
9,797 Posts
Subscribed.

I'm sure I'm not as knowledgeable as these guys ^, only been there once, but while passing through Old Forge last year I found the trails a little under whelming and not technical enough to be super fun. We used Trail Forks and followed the most challenging tails, pretty meh IMO. Not good enough to repeat.

Next time I pass through (in a couple weeks) I'll try something else hoping for some more elevation and technical riding.
OK, I take back every negative thing I said. Those guys (McCauley MT.) have done a lot of trail work in the last year. There are 2-3 excellent new flow trails, and more in the works. Together with what was already there it's a great place to stop and ride. Good fun stuff!!

I met one of the guys that's doing the work at the Wilmington bike fest. Super nice guy and a skilled rider.

I'll be back next year. Can't wait to see what else they do!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.