Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I swear I've been trying to learn this forever, and it's one thing that escapes me. The how-to vid in the sticky was removed. Anyone got any tips?? TIA...

·
Registered
513 Posts
I always practiced on a gradual incline, hop on the back wheel once and drop down, and practiced rolling back as far as I could. After I was ok at that I would sping the cranks around once and got comfortable spinning out both ways. Turns out my switch spin is actually easier. At first I would lean either way I wanted and grab the rear brake sharply and let go and mash my leading pedal down and it just clicked. The biggest part for me was staying upright while going backwards and that you will need practice. Spend like 15 or 20 minutes every ride only practicing that. Do a little at the first part of the ride and a little more at the end so it doesn't really feel like practice...good luck, hope this helped...

·
Registered
916 Posts
practice is def the main answer, like stated above. It sounds like JGill described an abubacca, by hopping on the back wheel. Some guys do a hop on both wheels when they reach the top of an incline, that helps to balance the rider out. I heard it referred to as a b!tch hop which is a bad habit and doesn't look as clean in a line. Spinning the cranks backwards helps get you in the fakie motion. To help correct your fakie direction as you are cranking backwards you can crank deeper on the side you need to correct to. Then it's a matter of cranking forward and turning your bars and shoulders in the direction you wanna turn. Hope this helps

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can do the whole abubaca just fine...learned that one back in my 20" days. I've just struggled with turning around when I'm riding fakie (can ride fakie fine)...just the dang turning!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I read somewhere to lean to the opposite side that your backing up to, in other words, leaning into the direction you want to spin. I need to try this...hopefully, it will help

·
Registered
513 Posts
jibkid said:
I read somewhere to lean to the opposite side that your backing up to, in other words, leaning into the direction you want to spin. I need to try this...hopefully, it will help
I lean to the right when I'm rolling fakie and spin the bike to the left. Sometimes you can even spin 360 out on your back wheel if you lean right...of course you are back to rolling fakie though...

·
Registered
886 Posts
If you are right foot forward: turn the handle bars 45 degrees to the right and when your bike has rotated 90 degrees either put your finger on the back brake or apply peddal pressure. This will stop your back wheel from rolling so you will just rotate on an axis. Then just turn your wheel back and roll away.

and the opposite for lff

·
MidnightBroomstickCowboy
461 Posts
I learned how to pull them back in the mid 90s and the common practice I'd take was to develop skills in riding backwards first. Practice till you comfortably travel at least 20 feet w/o wobble. Once you got that down, the roll-out should depend on which foot is positioned forward. I flipped to the left with my right foot forward leaving the weight balanced. Going into the roll-out I'd lean slightly to the left about 5 inches and turn my bars to the right causing my front wheel to move left. Then I'd tap the back brake till I was 3/4 through the rotation and release will turning my bars back to original position. If your brakeless, keep pressure on the forward pedal instead and follow the same routine.
And Practice Practice Practice- took me a good week with a few hours ea. day to dial it. Good luck.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Is it a huge problem that I lead right foot forward and I attempt to roll out to the right as well? Turning the wheel to the right and trying to roll out going left doesn't seem to work for me.

·
Registered
513 Posts
If it works, it works. Try just the opposite then. Give each way some time back to back and see what feels better. I mainly focus on riding the fakie out as far and as straight up as I can then lean quickly and mash my leading foot down and lean hard the opposite way. As we've all stated, just practice...try it both ways too...

·
MidnightBroomstickCowboy
461 Posts
ll 3nZo ll said:
Is it a huge problem that I lead right foot forward and I attempt to roll out to the right as well? Turning the wheel to the right and trying to roll out going left doesn't seem to work for me.
A problem you might face is your right foot grazing the back of the front tire as you turn left. Also, you're weight might lean to the right significantly more causing tilt during rotation but that's not to say it couldn't work.

·
Registered
144 Posts
DJskeet said:
Which way do you spin?
Well I just started street riding so I haven't gotten spins down yet. I wanted to get my fakie down first. But I would spin to the left.

Everything with me is al screwed up ha. When I endo I kick the rear around to the right and I spin to the left.

When I am rolling out of fakie trying to roll out to the right just seems to fall into place. Maybe thats why I can't roll out?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.