Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Rollers or Trainers?

1K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Eddie Mudster 
#1 ·
I've never tried a trainer, how do they compare to rollers? I have Performance Rollers with a magnetic resistance unit that I've used for many years, they're wearing out and getting noisy -even with headphones on and the music turned up. I ride a mountain bike with skinny slick tires on them a few times a week. I'm considering buying either a high quality trainer or an aluminum rollers system.

#2 ·
I vote for rollers

I had a set of the Performance rollers with a fluid unit. I then bought a Minoura Magnetic trainer. I rode it twice and went back to the rollers. I didn't care for the feel of the trainer. It felt more like an exercise bike than actual riding. Maybe a higher quality (fluid) one would have been better. Moving around on the bike was easier on the trainer so there was less discomfort in my hands and butt as I got to the end of a long session.

I bought a set of the Cycleops rollers from greenfish sports on Ebay and like them a lot. The smaller drums mean more resistance so I don't use an external resistance unit. The smaller drums do have a different feel - less "real" than the larger ones but nowhere near the "exercise bike" feel of the trainer.

#3 ·
Trainer is the only experience I have, but...

Eddie Mudster said:
I've never tried a trainer, how do they compare to rollers? I have Performance Rollers with a magnetic resistance unit that I've used for many years, they're wearing out and getting noisy -even with headphones on and the music turned up. I ride a mountain bike with skinny slick tires on them a few times a week. I'm considering buying either a high quality trainer or an aluminum rollers system.
I have been using the 1up USA trainer for a year now. My offseason work on that trainer paid huge dividends for me. I was able to get a very wide dynamic response from it and it resisted anything I could throw at it. Best of all, it is indestructable, uses no fluid or magnet, folds up to nothing, has the heaviest flywheel on the market and you cannot beat the warranty. It ships free too. (No I am not a sales rep).

I use it to warm up with prior to races. Much more difficult to do with rollers.

You mentioned noise from your unit. I hear nothing from the 1up. It gets a little warm, but nothing to cause a burn.

Obviously, rollers differ in function, so it really depends on your training goals. It is nice to practice balance etc... on rollers. But I use mine for conditioning and it works.

If you decide on a trainer, I cannot recommend the 1up enough. Check out their website..

www.1upusa.com

Good luck... :p

#4 ·
rollers

I've used both. I prefer the rollers to work on form. I think they're the very best way to perfect a smooth spin. Trainers are great for interval workouts. I stopped using a trainer and started going to spin classes. They're more motivating and make me work harder than if I were at home alone. Most of the classes where I live are taught by current and retired pro racers so they are a great challenge. If you're local spin classes are just a replacement for step aerobics then I'd say go with the trainer. Get a fluid trainer though. They're quieter and provide excellent resistance compared to fans and mags.

#5 ·
Thanks for the info. I don't train for anything, I just use rollers for exercise. It feels good to get in 30 min. rides a few times a week.

After taking a close look at my rollers, only the magnetic unit is a problem. Performance sells a newer style magnetic resistance unit for the Technique rollers, I thought they used to sell a fluid type but they don't have those for sale now.

#6 ·
Trainer

Though I find the rollers interesting and would maybe like to get them as well in the future. I have a Cylce Ops Wind trainer. It's loud as hell, so if you live in an apartment or condo, I would stick to the fluid or magnetic trainers, which are much quieter. However, it's very effective and the simplicity and efficiency of the design allows it to last a long time. Maintenance is super easy as well. If you do switch to any trainer, be sure to get a wheel block for your front wheel.

#8 ·
Rollers give the feel of road biking, spinning and crouched over. Trainers are closer to mtn biking (climbing) slower and harder and allow easier change of riding position. The only balance practice I need is roots and rocks and neither device is helpful for that.

#9 ·
Eddie Mudster said:
Totally depends on what you want to do on them. If you are looking to improve your form and bike handling, nothing beats rollers. But you have to pay attention on them. You can't really zone out and just crank away the time. But with a trainer, you can't fall off, so you can just zone out and crank away on them. Also you can do some sprint and tempo work that is much harder to do on rollers. If you don't want to pay attention and just put on music and spin away mindlessly for an hour or so, trainers are the way to go.

#11 ·
Rollers

I've been using the Performance rollers for 2 years now, way better than a trainer.
You actually have to pay attention with rollers, you get a better spin, and have to balance.
My mountain biking has definately benefitted from riding rollers. But I use a road bike, not a mtn bike with slicks.

I just bought a "front stabilizer" (take off the front wheel and connect the fork to this, makes it like a trainer) so that my wife can use it, so I guess now I have the best of both worlds.

#12 ·
dan(YELL) said:
I just bought a "front stabilizer" (take off the front wheel and connect the fork to this, makes it like a trainer) so that my wife can use it, so I guess now I have the best of both worlds.
I have one of those also, I just couldn't get used to it though. When used with a suspension fork it feels like it puts too much stress and flex on the forks dropouts. And with each crank the back wheel would move left and right on the roller, I felt like a drunken biker (I might not have had it adjusted correctly though).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.