Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's been some talk here about how to spend indoor training time without going insane from boredom ... well, I recieved a set of rollers for Christmas, and now having logged a couple hours on them I'm starting to spend my time with 'roller games' (and an mp3 player, of course) ...

... warm up: at a spin I try to stay in exact locations on the roller - close to the left edge, then cross to the right edge, etc. Put a little marker on your roller to get the exact spot.
... mid ride: I target rpm & heart rate, and also do single-legs (this is difficult balance on rollers for me!)
... mid ride: interval sitting sprints. I wish I could stand pedal, but my Rocky Mtn ESTX head angle is just too slack and I'm sure I'd pop right off the front of the roller. Also worried about bustin' the bearings
... cool down: how slow can you go. Just riding in a low gear and low ratio to bring the heart rate. I can maintain 40rpm / 13 kph (sorry, Canadian, don't know what that is in miles, maybe a little less than 10)
... cool down: balance stops. Just as it sounds - brake the rollers to a stop, pause for a couple seconds, then start up - tricky, since you can't turn the bars or you'll slip off.

Kinda fun, almost.

BTW, for everyone riding trainers, I'm loving the move to rollers. The real riding feeling can't be beat, and the improvement on balance and spin motion is terrific. Really teaches a soft touch on the bars in sprints. WAY less boring than my mag-trainer. (but still boring - I mean, hey, you're riding inside not moving! How can that not be boring?)

If anyone has any other suggestions on how to pass time on rollers, I'm interested ...

·
Registered
212 Posts
rollers are wicked, aren't they? i'll never forget my first ride on them, though....i thought "how the hell am i ever gonna do this without dying first??"......but i got past it and it only took a few times to get comfortable with them. when you get real slick on them, you can try things like taking off your shirt while you ride, riding w/out hands, etc. i wouldn't try these stunts without being around a wall or a doorway though. But you're totally right, rollers are a blast. I consider them more of a balance practice than physical training, but they're great. ideally, you would have both rollers and a trainer because they kind of serve different purposes. I'm hoping to get a trainer next winter so I can use that for really hammering out sprints, and just use the rollers for balance training. Keep rolling!!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Resistance

I totally agree that they're mostly about balance and spin stroke quality, especially with my 4" drums. Having said that, I just ordered the mag resistance unit for them, which I hope will allow me to do interval sprints. My mag unit is starting to crap out, and I'd prefer not to buy a whole new unit this year (already the mag doesn't give enough resistance for standing sprints).

·
On your left!!!!!
330 Posts
Yes rollers are great for games and fun.I spent countless hours on my roller five or six years ago.Now I do my I.L.T. on my rollers no handed. You will turn a perfect circle in no time or crash.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts