Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this under the Ross year id thread, but I think it's too buried...

Does anyone know the various models of rollercam brakes offered by Suntour over the years? I just picked up a set (came with a bike, actually) and was wondering if these were anything special. The arms have holes through them and the cams say "XC Power" on them, in addition to Cunningham Design and Suntour.

Based on other items on the bike (XC Sport hubs and friction shifters), it appears to be a 1986 model. Below are some photos. Obviously, I haven't cleaned them up yet. These will go on the Paramountain.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Nice brakes--they're cold-forged as well.

By the look of the picture the are not set up correctly. To achieve the most performance out of rollercam brakes, the rollers should be starting to roll onto the steeper part of the cam plate just about the time the pads contact the rim. This will give you the increased leverage rollercams are known for. Watch the cam when as you squeeze the lever. If it feels stiff and you can see the rollers aren't quite making it onto the steeper stage of the cam, try re-adjusting the pads inward (you'll also need to take up the slack in the cable if you do this).

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
filegiant said:
Nice brakes--they're cold-forged as well.

By the look of the picture the are not set up correctly. To achieve the most performance out of rollercam brakes, the rollers should be starting to roll onto the steeper part of the cam plate just about the time the pads contact the rim. This will give you the increased leverage rollercams are known for. Watch the cam when as you squeeze the lever. If it feels stiff and you can see the rollers aren't quite making it onto the steeper stage of the cam, try re-adjusting the pads inward (you'll also need to take up the slack in the cable if you do this).
Thanks - I haven't moved them to the Paramountain yet - they're still on the Ross that they came on, which will be parted out. I have never set up rollercams, however, so this should help!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.