Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am gathering part info to convert my Salsa Bandito to singlespeed, and I have a couple of questions. Looking at the Rollenlager website it states that their tensioner can handle up to a 20 tooth cog. What are the normal ranges of cogs people run? Do many people run a cog bigger than 20 tooth? I like the build design of the Rollenlager, but if it is common to run bigger than 20 tooth cogs, I don't want to limit myself.

Next, since I am starting with a 9 speed freehub(limited funds), is it better to use multiple spacers, or a conversion kit like the Gusset conversion kit, which has only two tapered block spacers? If you use spacers, what do you use as a lockring?

Any input is greatly appreciated. I am excited about how this build-up can turn out!

·
Registered
553 Posts
Will you ever go bigger than 20? It is hard telling, but you can always go smaller in the front if it is a real problem. I was running 34:20 on pretty hilly terrain.

I started with a 7 speed freehub. I used multiple spacers, and the lock ring from the cassette I busted apart to get the spacers. I did use a small 11 tooth cog as the outer most spacer to help the lockring get a better grip on the whole set up.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info! I don't think my cassette will come apart to use the spacers (SRAM PC-970), but I will keep track of the lockring.

I was thinking of starting with a 32-18 gear ratio, simply because my muscle memory is accustomed to a 32 tooth chainring. I would consider the area I live hilly (San Diego).

·
They turned me loose
384 Posts
PVC works pretty good, just make sure you don't have the shakes when you cut it. It won't tighten right if she's crooked. I put a Rollenlager on my "rig" recently and bought that handy dandy gusset 1'er set with the 16t and 18t cog included. Reckon that fits real nice. Otherwise, spacers and PVC. I had to put some extra washers on the Rolle's spindle so's the chain line was better, needed a longer screw fer it.

·
And He was Not
1,686 Posts
Spacers are Good

I like using multi spacers, It seems you can tune your chainline better. I too had to use a longer bolt and washers from a old set of v- brakes in order to get the Rennen to line up. It was still very easy and one of the bettter designed tensioners out there.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is all great info, thanks! I was itching so bad to get the parts that here is what I ordered:

Gusset Freehub conversion (thought I'd try it first, and if I I run into trouble with the chainline, go with spacers)
Rollenlager (I like the bolt on and go idea versus spring tension)
Blackspire 32T ring (no feeling about this ring, but the price was right)
SRAM 8 speed chain

This will get me started. I new set of disc wheels and disc brakes may be coming soon. My current rims have limited life left and I figure why not have the next set be disc so I can run them on the singlespeed or the full squishy.

I can't wait. I'll post pictures once it is all together.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Poster Nutbag said:
Rollenlager (I like the bolt on and go idea versus spring tension)

...SRAM 8 speed chain
The spring-less thing is the whole point of our part. Glad you like the idea of that.

As for the chain, you might want to consider a slightly fatter option, as multi-speed chains tend to have a lot of lateral flex to help shifting.

IF you are building this for XC and want something light, or just have it laying around, then use the 8-speed chain.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I figured an 8 speed chain would be alright since it is wider than a nine speed. I am building this up for XC, but what would you suggest as a better chain option?

Thanks.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Since I will be running a tensioner, is the need for a half link still likely? Seems that since the Rollenlager is bolted in place, I should be able to find correct chain tension w/o a half link. Or, am I being naive?

The more I talk about it, I am getting anxious for all the parts to arrive, which is terrible considering I just put in the orders yesterday.

·
They turned me loose
384 Posts
I needed the half link to run a 32x18 on my Jamis. It depends on your chainstay. the more chain you can get in contact with the cog the better, but the chainsaty limits how high you can move the Rolle up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.