Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read and heard about the AVID Rollamajig for use on the rear derailleur. What does this do, and how does it work? Is it worth picking one up? Hows about installation, is it pretty easy? Thanks to anyone and everyone for help.

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
I think they work great on Shimano derailleurs. They do away with that loop of derailleur housing and cable. SRAM even designed their derailleurs with a psuedo Rollamajig...sort of...so I guess that speaks somewhat to the clean installation a Jig provides for a Shimano derailleur.

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
Yep

archybiker said:
I've read and heard about the AVID Rollamajig for use on the rear derailleur. What does this do, and how does it work? Is it worth picking one up? Hows about installation, is it pretty easy? Thanks to anyone and everyone for help.
Got one on each of my gearie mountain bikes. Works as advertized. Combine this with full length housing, and you'll go years before needed to deal with crusty feeling shifters.

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
I have been told that it does improve shifting in many cases. It is not expensive either, so if your Shimano shifts sluggishly you will not lose much by trying one.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
They work great - have them on both my bikes. BUT be careful when installing them with the cable housing length. I'll elaborate.......

I recently decided to try some new gear cables 'cause they were there at the bike shop "teflon coated". When I remove the roll-a-majig I found that one of the ferules on my AVID Flack Jacket cables had broekn (the ones that have the bit on to go inside the tubing) so I replaced it with another end I had with the same sort fo design. Well I had serious troubles shifting and figured that the cable was a cheap POS and changed back to my old SS cable after the next 2 rides. Still had problems, ,would shift great in granny and pretty good in middle, but utter crap in big.

While playing around trying to see if maybe I'd hit the derailer and bent it I noticed that the derailer didn't seem to be "releasing" completely when I let the tension go to shift to an easier gear (RR derailer), so I thought to myself, could it be that the slight length diff between the Avid end and the one I put on was causing this. So I had some Crazy Glue and glued the piece back onto the Avid ferule installed it and Voila, shifting was back to perfect.

So moral of story is that I had the cable housing at "the" poerfect length and just switching those small pieces which changed the length by less than maybe a 1/4" effected my shifting terribly. Be careful with cable housing length when installing and follow the installation instructions.

·
Fireball in the Night
1,624 Posts

This one is on my SC Tazmon. It's UltraViolet for all you UltraChill fans out there.

Easy to install, but maybe a little more work for you to retrofit.

My best guess is that the aluminum ones from before the plastic ones are a few grams heavier. About 25g. But, really, who cares about static weight there?

~ Rex

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
thanks dot

Thanks dot...was that the plastic one? The whole "net" weight thing made me think it was actually more than 7g's. I guestimated I could lose about 8 g's of housing/cable if I added one. So, 14 minus 8 equals 6 net g's. Very close to the 7 stated. It all makes sense now. :thumbsup: I guess i had one more g of housing/cable than average.

·
Time is not a road.
4,150 Posts
It's amazing! Avid invented a device years ago that now works exactly the same as their new SRAM derailleurs do. This allows you to get good shifing out of your POS Shimano junk! What a solution! SRAM saves the day...again.

:thumbsup: :D

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Its supposed to smooth out the run on the rear derrailleur cable. Its not a real big difference in performance with normal cable/housing care but you probably could go a lot longer without maintenance with one.
What Sram has is actually not a built in rollamagig in any way other than it straightens out the cable run. The whole point of the rollamajig is the wheel so the cable rolls instead of friction sliding, hence the roll part. The lack of cable friction in that turn is supposed to improve shifting. What Sram has is mechanically the same as a shimano derrailleur, except its attached to the derailleur permanently instead of being an external cable run. The cable still needs to make the same loop and friction slide against the outside of that loop. It is in no way the same concept as a rollamajig.

·
Pocket Pool Savant
634 Posts
Tell you what...

archybiker said:
email me your address and I'll mail you mine. I took it off when I upgraded to XT RD. It's red and works fine. It's just sitting there and I paid very little for it.

email=mcseforsale.at.yahoo.dot.com

AJ

·
Fireball in the Night
1,624 Posts
Sideknob said:
Ahhhh, a bit of purple trinketry....gone are the days....
Mine's the same, but silver. My Balance had a black one, which went with the bike when it was stolen.
Photo caption from my original post : It's UltraViolet for all you UltraChill fans out there. It's not purple.

·
Registered
417 Posts
bmadau said:
How many times does it have to be said, the cable that goes around the loop thingy on a SRAM deraileur DOES NOT SLIDE!

BM
But how does their derailleurs work? Cable has to move the parallelogram. I just checked one of my shimano derailleurs and measured the distance between der. body and the bolt. On the smallest cog it was ~2.5 cm (not a very precise measurement). And on the third biggest cog it was about 1.5 cm. Where does excess cable length go? Yes, it has to slide. I used to own some SRAM rear derailleurs but I don't remember correctly how it looks in real but I still think the cable slides in the groove of the thingy.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.