Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
stoneblender
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I met Kyle Anderson two years ago, when he and his brother Chris showed up for a Skills for the Hills clinic at Sugarbush. They were among the first bike lessons that we taught and despite being only 14 and 12, these two were already better jumpers than me. More than anything though, I noticed how nice and respectful the boys were. I don't often describe teen-age boys as gentle true spirits, but Kyle was certainly one.

They kept coming back and we got to know the whole family, in fact they became part of our family and us a part of theirs. When winter rolled around, I hired Kyle as an assistant coach, as he was already a competent leader of kids young and old.

Seeing how good he was with guests, I asked him to stay for the next summer. So in spring of 2009, in preparation for a summer of bike camps, we took a Gravity Logic freeride bike coach certification together. Sam Von Trapp was also in the course, as was the head of the Sunday River bike program, but the instructor, Sarah Leishman, singled out Kyle for her most effusive praise.

Kyle was jumping in his backyard park a week or so after the course and hurt his knee. They had it checked out, and the first doctor said it was just a sprain. When it didn't get better in a few more weeks, the next doctor found a break in a bone, which led to more tests.

The results indicated osteosarcoma, bone cancer. His family started immediate treatment and we all remained hopeful and supportive throughout the last year, but last night Kyle passed.

Almost all of our summer coaches are direct recruits from Kyle and his brother Chris. This is a huge blow to the team, but especially to his family. I've had friends die before, even too young, but this has been an altogether different experience.

I know Kyle would want us to go out and ride to celebrate his life. We are dedicating this weekend's Gravity East race in his honor and there will be a memorial service at Allyn's Lodge after the race on Sunday.

Roll on brother ...

John

·
Vermonter to the Core
435 Posts
Please send my familys wishes....
Jason

·
stoneblender
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Many thanks to all for the positive vibes and good thoughts. I saw his brother Chris today and the whole family will be here this weekend.

John

·
Registered
425 Posts
So very sorry to hear about this - such a young person, and by your description, a really great soul.

What a poignant and sad picture there of his bike.

·
stoneblender
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)

We are dedicating a new terrain park to Kyle today. Please join us, if you are in town. Please come ride too!

Check out the link below for some kind words from Sarah Leishman, a Canadian Pro downhiller who also spent some time with Kyle.

Canadian DH Girls

As Sarah wrote, F^<% cancer. Ride bikes!

John

1 - 11 of 11 Posts