Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

821 - 839 of 839 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
first mtb I've owned in about 20 years. Haro Escape 19.5" aluminum frame,shimano hubs, specialized rockhopper tires.I've put about 75 miles on it since buying it from the local used bike guy on CL about 2 months ago.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Haro Extreme X1 over the years

2005,closest to the original specification,but things already changed
Haro 2005 the Begining.jpg
2005,few months later
Haro 2005.jpg
Haro 2006.jpg
2008,spring
Haro 2008 proljeće.jpg
2008,autumn
Haro 2008 jesen.jpg
Haro 2011.jpg
Haro 2015.jpg

Funduro since 2005 :cool:

·
Registered
495 Posts
Updated my ride a bit more. Went 10 speed XT Rear Der, SLX Shifter, SLX brakes, Truvativ Noir Carbon Cranks, Bontrager RXL Carbon Bars. scorpion2.jpg

·
Registered
248 Posts
16298383_10154422908007956_9209694814010293987_n.jpg

Here's my Haro!!

It's a Subvert HT5 27.5+ bike! So far, It's been a fun ride. Much more nimble than a traditional fat bike, I love how much cushion the "plus" ride gives it- almost like full suspension!!

Things I've done so far:
1: Tubeless conversion!! The bike comes with pretty cheap tubes that were HEAVY!!! Throwing in some stems and sealant saved me over a POUND PER WHEEL!!! And of course, I don't have to worry about pinch flats anymore :)

2: Saddle- I was definitely not a fan of the stock saddle. Luckily, I kept the Specialized Toupe from my old bike. Much more comfortable, and saved more weight.. hahaha!!!

3: Dropper post- It's has internally routed cables, so I installed a KS-Lev dropper. The bike has a TON of room in the cockpit, so it's nice being able to really use that real-estate with the seat down!

4: Handlebars- It comes with a fairly heavy Ritchey bar. I installed a Raceface SixC carbon bar. I originally did this for weight and a little more width, but have also noticed that I can feel more feedback from the front end, which was desperately needed with the big tires.

Issues so far-

1: The HT5 is the mid-level Subvert. While it doesn't have entry level stuff like the HT3, it still used lots of in-house branded stuff. One item was the Pivit rear hub laced up with the WTB rims. On my very first ride, I was doing some park bench hop-ups, and had to put some pressure through the cranks on some agressive climb-up. There was a sudden "BANG", and then I couldn't freewheel any longer. Disassembly revealed that I broke two out of three Pawls, and cracked the freehub body!!! Haro warrantied the hub, and let me pay a small charge to upgrade to a Shimano XT Hub.

2: The HT5 comes with an FSA Comet crankset. This was an item I was already looking to upgrade because of chainring compatibility. On my old bike, I had started running an Absolute Black ring, and think a plus bike could really benefit from that technology. NOBODY makes a replacement chainring for the FSA cranks. On my third long distance ride, I ran into an issue 10 miles from the car. The Crank bolt on the non-drive side started working loose. Normally not a problem, but it takes a 10mm hex wrench to tighten it up!! I was able to limp it about halfway back before it fell off completely, then I did some "scooting" and one footed pedaling to go the rest of the way. Reading online, this is a common problem, and one that FSA has addressed by including thread-locker with their new cranksets!! This is the first time I've felt the need to put lock-tite on a crankbolt, but I assure you that's going to happen when the new bolt shows up.

Other than those two issues, the bike so far has been a terrific ride, and I plan on building a set of 29" wheels to swap out for long distance stuff!!!!

·
Registered
178 Posts
IMG_1363.jpg
This is my 98 Haro MX3, bought on CL for $275. The AL Y-bike and DH Judy XL was too much for me to pass up.
After the rear shock came apart, I installed a Fox air shock and the plush was so huge I had to do more upgrades- that meant disc. Built Sun-Ringle EQ31 on Fastace 4-bearing hubs, found a Saint integrated shifter setup, changed the gear to 2x9 with a XT crank off my '04 Stumpy. While I was at it, the Joplin dropper without remote had to happen. Not like it gets moved around a lot.
Riding this thing is a hoot. The 2.1 Slant Six tires are nicely pushed out by the wide rims, the disc brakes (180-180) have plenty of power, and she's super plush, point and shoot. I get used to the shifters immediately.
This one goes to Copper Harbor, MI for the flow trails.

·
Just Joshin' ya!
1,980 Posts
Its a Haro V3. The V series was a 26 inch hardtail mountain bike. Yours looks to be around 2000.

·
Registered
495 Posts
How are the gears working? How much does it weigh now?
Works great. 22.5-23lbs if I remember correctly. It's crazy light compared to my full suspension bike. This bike is going to find a new home in Houston, TX come Christmas time. A friend of mine is wanting to get into mountain biking.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
263 Posts
I just bring my HARO ALLY back to life with some new old update like.
1x10 sram xo
Cassette
Chain
Derailleur
Shifter

Carbon ,handlebar,seat-post
New Front 34 chainring. Chinese
New maxis. 2.4 front. 2.25 rear
WTB wheels i23 tubeless compatible. (Next project) tubeless install
Ergon grips
Avid disc 160

And really is super quiet, and run like a chap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
263 Posts
Just and update in my HARO ALLY I reach my goal for a frame 20. Weight under 9.6k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

821 - 839 of 839 Posts