Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
41 - 60 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Hello I'm Charlie

After 44 years in Rhode Island and Mass. my Wife and I made a move to Arizona three years ago. I still don't know why we waited so long. Arizona is great and getting better every day. I live in Casa Grande, 40 minutes to Phoenix, one hour to Tucson, two hours to Sedona. Small town easy life-style. My work is a equipment mechanic for a Chandler golf course.
Bikes are Yeti Kokopelli and IRD road bike for the Mrs.. A Giant VT-2 , XTC 1 and a 10 year old Bianchi cyclo cross bike I use on the road.
Beer ? Yes I'll have one. Love to kick back after a ride with a Fat Tire Ale. Although when in Tucson a Nimbus Pale Ale is a favorite. A Sedona ride requires a trip to Oak Creek Brewery for whatevers on tap. Moab will find us at Eddie McStiffs for a Canyon Cream Ale.
Favorite Trail. Is there a bad trail in Arizona? Tucson love F.I. and Willow Springs. Phoenix Cactus Cup and McDowell Mountain. Sedona has to be Submarine Rock and Cathedral Rock. Local trail, well last spring some friends decided to start a trail on Casa Grande Mountain we ended up with a five mile loop that I would say right now is my favorite trail.Plus we plan about tweleve more miles of trail.
Although I've riden the Soul Ride twice, arthitic ankles make it impossible to race so I just enjoy the ride and the incredable people I meet. I don't know if I've met any of you but perhaps some day we'll go for a ride, I'll be the guy with the big smile.
See Ya! Life is good! :cool:

·
Registered
264 Posts
I'm Kevin.

I live near Crismon and University. I started riding last May. I haven't ridden very many different trails yet. I ride Pass Mtn the most. I've only ridden Hawes half a dozen times. I work near enough to the SoMo Pima trailhead that I ride there after work fairly often too. Most of the time I ride down Beverly Canyon, up Javelina, and down the fire road. I'm hoping to get in some Sedona, Flag, and Prescott riding later this year.

I have a 2003 Stumpjumper FSR. Just the base model. It's been great, trouble-free, and I think it suits my riding tastes.

I also play ultimate, and I reckon I know who skinny is. Jeff?

Beer? Yes. I'm not picky, but I do have my favorites; Kirin, Pilsner Urquell, Heineken.

This is what Pass Mtn looked like today...

Attachments

·
caninus xerophilous
1,741 Posts
A DogSoldiers Tale.

Checking back into the forum from the Land of the Two Rivers, a.k.a The Cradle of Civilization, a.k.a.Baby Bush's Folley.

My name is Louis,

I reside in Tucson, Catalina to be exact.

I am a Merchant of Chaos according to Brother Elron.

I love MTB'ing and prefer burley epic back country rides. My wife, Sandy, and I enjoy hiking, camping, and scuba diving.

My steed is a heavy duty trailbike named "Punches Doggies".

My bike hauler was a retired Sherpa named Chimi, but he has since retired and I now have to haul my own bike when I can't mooch a ride.

I support SDMB when it comes to trail maintenance and ride with SAMBA on occasion.

Pre-ride burritos and post ride chips and salsa are a favorites.

Blue Agave rules as does post ride icy cold Corona's or *****'s.

I have also been known to hump table legs, a.ka. hucking CJ's little red mini bike.

I have ridden with few folks in this forum from AZ, and I must say they were all great people! PaulB, PedalAZ, JKK, C.J., G1 and the flying Nowacki's to name a few. Looking forward to riding and sharing drivel with with the AZ folks from Passion.

It's good to be back,

Louis

p.s. Is this new forum some sort of anti terroism measure?

·
AZ MTBR
318 Posts
Hey Louis

Welcome back SunDog,
hope to ride with you again.
Later,
JohnnyK

SunDog said:
Checking back into the forum from the Land of the Two Rivers, a.k.a The Cradle of Civilization, a.k.a.Baby Bush's Folley.

My name is Louis,

I reside in Tucson, Catalina to be exact.

I am a Merchant of Chaos according to Brother Elron.

I love MTB'ing and prefer burley epic back country rides. My wife, Sandy, and I enjoy hiking, camping, and scuba diving.

My steed is a heavy duty trailbike named "Punches Doggies".

My bike hauler was a retired Sherpa named Chimi, but he has since retired and I now have to haul my own bike when I can't mooch a ride.

I support SDMB when it comes to trail maintenance and ride with SAMBA on occasion.

Pre-ride burritos and post ride chips and salsa are a favorites.

Blue Agave rules as does post ride icy cold Corona's or *****'s.

I have also been known to hump table legs, a.ka. hucking CJ's little red mini bike.

I have ridden with few folks in this forum from AZ, and I must say they were all great people! PaulB, PedalAZ, JKK, C.J., G1 and the flying Nowacki's to name a few. Looking forward to riding and sharing drivel with with the AZ folks from Passion.

It's good to be back,

Louis

p.s. Is this new forum some sort of anti terroism measure?

·
Occidental Tourist
3,563 Posts
Lazy

I'm avoiding work so here is my bike hauler. It sticks out a bit more than others with the roof rack and my sticker collection on the wind dam....

Attachments

·
Registered
472 Posts
Is there room in here for one more?

Cool thread just wanted to introduce myself.

My name is Cesar I am 24 years old. OK I 'm really 34 years old.

Raced BMX as a kid.(10 to 14)

I dropped bikes completely during High School and College after finding girls and cars.

Picked up MTB'ing in 1992 while stationed in Germany with the Air Force. First bike was a Schwinn Paramount with full XT. Nice first bike!!!! I got hooked after moving to Colorado Springs, CO and riding Palmer Park with a friend. Note: User name is my favorite riding area.

My family and I have lived in AZ twice now and I think it will be home until I hit the LOTTO and move back to my beloved San Diego. Haha. Just moved back here in March 03. I live in Gilbert (Val Vista and Warner). I have a great wife of 8 years and three awesome boys that rule my world. 8, 4, and 2 year olds. We all ride MTB's believe it or not.

I have had upto eight personal bikes at one time. It's a sickness!!!! I am now down to one. 12 step program helped a lot. ;-)

I have riden in three 24 hour events. (Moab and Tucson) I plan to ride 24 hours of McDowell this year (October). I prefer rides like Pass Mtn, South Mtn (National) Mount Elden in Flagg. I like to pay before I can play. ie I gotta climb it before I can bomb it.

I work in the semi-conductor industry. Technical Support Engineer.

My current bike is a non-stock 03 Specialized Enduro S-Works - Easton Carbon Bar and Post, Chris King hubs and headset. XTR cranks and derailleurs, Avid Juicy Sevens and last but not least Stan's tubeless gu in the tires. I've also got an old Specialized Allez road bike that is only used for my rollers. I don't ride the roads!!!! Not that there is anything wrong with it ;-)

My truck of choice is a 92 Toyota 4x4 pickup with a few dents here and there.

I only drink socially or until my wife tells me that I'm making an ass of myself!!! Burrrrrrp. I love to drink good wine. Beer is for the young guys;-)

I listen to any and all music. If it makes my feet tap then I like it.

My favorite color is blue, my favorite number is 10 blah blah blah..........

Anyway, I mostly ride on the weekends with a good group of friends. We mostly ride South (National to marker 18) since it has the most bang for the buck locally.

Hope to see all of you out on the trails. Cya

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just moved in

Hi, My name's Larry. My family just moved here in November, to be closer to the rest of our family (my in-laws). I took my Mongoose Rockadile out on Dessert Classic and was hooked immediately. I was a motocross racer 25 years ago, so I thought this would be similar. The answer is yes and no. It's as fun, but a lot more work.

Anyway, after about 6 weeks on the Mongoose, I developed a painful bruise in a sensitive area, and thought I was done. Of all things, my wonderful wife convinced me to go out and get the Jekyll 800 so I could continue to ride during my brief period of unemployment.

My goal is to race. I figure how fast can the 40-50 beginner division be?

My fear is getting a job, and night riding during the summer.

·
pedaller
2,400 Posts
Let's keep this thread rockin'!

My name is Noel - as in Christmas- not Nole. My ride is a '99 Green Stumpy. I was introduced to MTBing by my now wife about 5 years ago when we were dating. I couldn't understand at the time what this girl's obsession was with "riding a bike". She's been riding since '96. After getting spanked by her every time out on a buddy's borrowed bike I still wasn't getting it. Then I got my first FS bike and we rode Hawes and I was in love.

Well here we are years later having logged thousands of miles in AZ, CA, UT, CO, TX, MN, Mexico & a 10 day bike tour in Ireland for our honeymoon. We both still feel the little hairs on our arms stand up when we're getting ready to go out on a ride and still come home sweaty, exhausted, sore and smiling every time out.

I've met many of you over the last couple of AZSFs and am looking forward to meeting more of you this year.

My motorized ride is a 2001 4Runner.

My favorite place to ride is wherever my tires happen to be at the time - preferably singletrack. My current favorite ride is a nice night ride on South Mountain. Still love riding in Flagstaff, Prescott, Sedona & Tucson too.

We live in South Tempe.

We love beer - don't drink wine. My current fav is Negra Modelo and hers is Honey Brown but we'll take a Corona anytime.

Hope to see you out on the trail.... :cool:

·
Registered
691 Posts
I Don't Know If You Are Afraid You Will Get A Job, Or Afraid You Won't...

Cannonmale said:
Hi, My name's Larry.

My goal is to race. I figure how fast can the 40-50 beginner division be?

My fear is getting a job, and night riding during the summer.
Larry, welcome to the area! I love to run across someone else that is old enough to remember doing anything 25 years ago!

I couldn't help but laugh wondering if a job was gonna be a good thing, or just get in the way of your new interest in trailriding!

I hope you give racing a try, it is LOTS of fun here in Arizona, but the answer to your question about 40-50 Beginners is, DAMN FAST!

John W.

·
Registered
44 Posts
OK, ok. My name is Steve and I think that I'm 36. Moved to Tucson last year and love it. Have lived in Knoxville, Seattle, Albuquerque, Taos, Los Alamos in the past. Yeah Knoxville was an outlier. I'm married to a sometimes roadie and have an 18 month old sweet terror of a son. Gonna buy a trike for him(?) soon! I work as an natural resource/water econ$m#st at UA.

My bikes:
Yeti ARC
Merlin Extralight
Bridgestone MB1 single speed
Sakae (sucky?) aluminum single speed roadie
AMF/huffy high-zoot,single-speed, coaster-braked, half-fendered powder blue commuter. The commuter was built during the AMF Harley Davidson era. Yeah, it's a Hog.
Wife has a S-works hardtail and a Fuji or somesuch roadie.

My four-wheeled rides:
94 Toyota 4x4 truck,
98 Subaru Outback. Hardly ever use them since moving here. Oh yeah. 67 Ranchero too - my first car. I'll give them all up for more bikes thank you very much.

Rides: I'm in a rut. Haven't explored too much. FI and Starr Pass. Stuff around Redington. Ride often, but lack variety. (Hmmm, sounds like marria..).

Bought my first mountain bike in 1985- Trek black and pink job ( thank god for student loans!) BTW, I was one of the early adopters of full suspension (1977 Montgomery Wards coil-sprung rear, double crown fork, go fast genuine simulated plastic gas tank and fenders, rat-trap pedals), but I've since given it up. I think I'll come back to the fold soon with an Intense or Blur.

Beer: Yes. Prefer microbrews, The only beer I positively will not drink is rolling rock. blech. Wine is good.

·
Registered
153 Posts
this is sweet...az is awesome!

it's so cool having an Arizona specific message board. I was a frequent poster on mtbr.com for a couple years before this new board was started and I think this format is really awesome and am glad to be back reading about all the cool riding and riders in AZ.

I also post on www.freeridewest.com (cause I am radical...yes I said radical) , it is a forum that a friend in Florida started a few years back...it is basically arizona (freeridewest.com) and Florida (freeridesouth.com) people posting on it.

I grew up in central NY...and was a cycling junkie since about 11 or 12. My dad was a roadie and long distance runner so I was always riding my bike or runnin'...and as soon as I knew what a mountain bike was I was hooked. I started racing at about 15 and was done racing by about 20. Went to College for Graphic Design, Drinking and drugs and soon became out of shape and soft like aged fruit. Finshed school and moved to AZ and started riding again...took my old trek carbon fiber race bike and made it into a singlespeed and that quickly re-kindled my love for two wheels.

I am now 26 and part owner of Cactus Bike. I am doing what I love: guiding, riding and survivng. I LOVE showing people this awesome state. In my spare time I ride as much as I can, camp, go 4 wheelin, work on trails, design websites, take pics of my buddies doin stupid stuff and travel (well I used to before I became a small business owner). I have a redline Monocog SS, A Brodie Devo all-mountain bike, a FOES Mono DH Bike, a couple pre-war cruisers and tons of old (mostly useless) parts lying around my home and shop. I love bikes and have about 4 more I want to build. For some reason I think I need a bike for every style of riding I enjoy...I am a bit of a ****. Although I do like climbing on bikes that are designed to be ridden down.

I have a 6 year old Black lab/ chow who I hang out with alot. She's pretty cool.

I enjoy all types of beer...watered down domestic canned beer tastes really good after a long ride IMHO but my weekness is probably Kilt Lifter. My current GF works at 4 peaks so that has been working out really well so far. I think we really have something ;) juz kidding...shes really the sweetest person I have met.

You don't really care what kinda car I drive...do you?

Can't wait to ride with ya'll at the Fling!

Peace

Michael (aka Monk)
www.cactusbike.com
480.940.RIDE (7433)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Can I play

Name's Stuart. 44 yrs old. Previously posted under "Cleavis Pin", but discarded that since it was stupid and nobody knew what it meant, including me. New handle is more desert-specific, I think, especially since I used to keep chuckwallas as pets as a kid. (when I was a kid, not the lizards).

Born and raised in Yuma, AZ. U of A Class of 1981. Have lived in Willcox, Casa Grande, Ahwatukee, and have been in South Tempe since 1995.

Married, two kids. Son is 12 and a tennis junkie. Neither my wife nor I play tennis, so I don't know how that happened. Daughter is 11 and soccer/basketball player. Kids sports sure keep your riding schedule compartmentalized.

2001 Superlight
2003 Gunnar Rockhound
1999 Trek 2300 road bike.

Looking forward to warmer weather. I just bought Paul B's book, so I want to try some new stuff. Normally, I ride S. Mtn, since its so close and I usually have a dang time limit. Wife rides too, actually faster'n me.

·
Kathleen in AZ
5,181 Posts
Chuck the Walla said:
Name's Stuart. 44 yrs old. Previously posted under "Cleavis Pin", but discarded that since it was stupid and nobody knew what it meant, including me. New handle is more desert-specific, I think, especially since I used to keep chuckwallas as pets as a kid. (when I was a kid, not the lizards).

Born and raised in Yuma, AZ. U of A Class of 1981. Have lived in Willcox, Casa Grande, Ahwatukee, and have been in South Tempe since 1995.

Married, two kids. Son is 12 and a tennis junkie. Neither my wife nor I play tennis, so I don't know how that happened. Daughter is 11 and soccer/basketball player. Kids sports sure keep your riding schedule compartmentalized.

2001 Superlight
2003 Gunnar Rockhound
1999 Trek 2300 road bike.

Looking forward to warmer weather. I just bought Paul B's book, so I want to try some new stuff. Normally, I ride S. Mtn, since its so close and I usually have a dang time limit. Wife rides too, actually faster'n me.
I like the new handle, Stuart! See you around our backyard, S.Mtn....

·
Registered
504 Posts
Outside of this place most people call me Greg.
Used to post quite a bit in the old forum but pretty much am a lurker as of late.
Live in Ahwatukee, just off the trail head at 27th. street. It is good to have South Mt. in the backyard!
While I appreciate just about any type of riding my favorite times are the ones spent on more technical trails, the kind that are measure in time not distance. Most of my riding time is spent on South Mt., dispite riding there for 10 years the mountain's trails are still some of my favs.
Grew up riding BMX on a daily basis, took about a 10 year break from biking to persue a layed back life in Hawaii where I was at the beach daily.
I'm now really old (39), fat, slow and generally very obnoxious. I wish I could ride more but the damn career thing seems to always get in the way.
I've participated in all but the last Spring Fling, honeymoon had priority this year.
Current bikes are a Turner 5 Spot built up for heavy trail riding, an Ellsworth Joker more for freeride type riding and an Ultegra equipped Specialized road bike.
I think the I've almost got the riding thing figured out...push one pedal down...the other comes up...one pedal down repeat as necessary. Now if I could just find the National trailhead??????

·
Registered
55 Posts
3 months late .... but there we are

My names Edward, 27, born in the UK lived in USA for 8 years now. Living in Tucson with 1 1/2 year old and my amazing wife, about to start another degree in the fall

I'd been using my schwinn for years to commute to college and then work, but 6 months ago someone thought they needed it more than I did so I became somewhat bikeless.

Brother-in-law. and Father-in-law have been xc riding (and more) for a long time now and so I rented my first full suspension and got the bug. Still only 2 months into it and haven't bought my first bike yet, but I'm really close and my 'bike fund' has grown thanks to birthday presents recently.

As for BYOB I miss that room temp. bitters but really enjoy the microbrews available near campus.

Only ridden fantasy island a few times so far, but plan on riding 50 year trail next time I climb on a bike.

·
Ouch, I am hot!
4,765 Posts
My Name is Harcourt Fenton Mudd aka Titus

Welcome to 2004:

2004 is poised to be another exciting year for both Titus Cycles and our customers. We've been building custom bicycles since 1991 and every year we get even more excited than the last to show you our latest and greatest creations. The 2004 model year promises to be one of the most exciting yet. One of the biggest developments is the introduction of new shock technologies throughout our full suspension line. Titus bikes have always been recognized as the most efficient pedaling full suspension bikes in the world and now the shock technology takes us to a whole new level. We've worked hand in hand with the engineers from Fox, Manitou, and Progressive suspension to custom tune and develop their shocks to work in perfect harmony with our cutting edge suspension designs. In fact, these shock technologies have enabled us to add an all-new Titus bike to the line that promises to give you more of everything. The new Super-Moto offers up to 7" of plush rear wheel travel and more adjustability than any bike that has ever come before it, plus a level of pedaling efficiency that rivals the best XC designs available.

On the pavement front, we continue to develop our high performance road bikes by finding new ways to shave weight while increasing the ride quality and performance from every bike in the line. Finally, there's even more excitement surrounding our ground breaking composite technologies developed in conjunction with our friends at VyaTek sports. We continue to tweak our Exogrid and Isogrid designs, attaining a ride that defines perfection.

So, If you're looking for a new bike this year, it is a very exciting time to be a Titus customer. Visit the rest of the site to see which Titus bike fulfills all your cycling wants and dreams.

Call us at 800.85.TITUS. We will build your dream.
Chris Cocalis - President and Founder, Titus Cycles
in bicycle frame

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
i moved to prescott 7 months ago from socal.im married almost ten years have for boys 4,4,8,18 and a 3 month old black lab ive only riden this area i have had a lot of different types of bikes.the last year all i ride is fixed i have a lugged steel road fixie with mustach bars,a custom fixed cross bike with mustach bars & front brake only,a surly 1x1 fixed on 2.5 weirwolfs mustach bars front brake only this is my all mountain trail bike,also a 1x8 franken bike with mustach bars set up for my rollers.i love riding fixed and i really like mustache bars

41 - 60 of 86 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.