Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After speaking with the co-pilot this morning it looks like we will be packing up on Sunday Night at the "24 hr in the canyon" and eating/sleeping then making the drive to Gallup on Monday morning.

Active recovery and riding the various trails during the afternoons around town till Friday morning making the drive to the venue for "24hrs in the Enchanted Forest" and setting up my pit..

I know we have a few peeps that have signed up and I look forward to meeting ya..

·
I am Walt
6,393 Posts
After speaking with the co-pilot this morning it looks like we will be packing up on Sunday Night at the "24 hr in the canyon" and eating/sleeping then making the drive to Gallup on Monday morning.

Active recovery and riding the various trails during the afternoons around town till Friday morning making the drive to the venue for "24hrs in the Enchanted Forest" and setting up my pit..

I know we have a few peeps that have signed up and I look forward to meeting ya..
Solo SS here...again! Will be on a black LES SS, probably pitted over on the far end of the parking/camping area, before that wooden bridge left-hand turn. Look forward to meeting you!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had no idea what this race was until my wife got invited to be on a quad female team last week. Unfortunately I probably won't be able to race but I'll use it as an excuse to ride the motorcycle from Phoenix to Gallup. If you see a guy on a dark grey Ducati Multistrada, that's me.

·
I am Walt
6,393 Posts
I had no idea what this race was until my wife got invited to be on a quad female team last week. Unfortunately I probably won't be able to race but I'll use it as an excuse to ride the motorcycle from Phoenix to Gallup. If you see a guy on a dark grey Ducati Multistrada, that's me.
LOL...it's a good one. Relatively close to Phoenix, and great trails in the cool pines!

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
I will be there. My first solo 24 hour attempt.

Black Epic with Orange Fork and Early Bird Kit. Will have my little A-Frame trailer with me and I headed for the same area Walt is.

Tire Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle wheel Bicycle wheel rim

Clothing Wheel Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel Sports equipment

·
Registered
450 Posts
Looks like I'm in for 24 hours of "fun" on the SS. I'll be on a Lynskey Ridgeline and wearing a black kit. Not sure where I'll be camped since I'll likely arrive late-ish on Friday after that long drive from Oregon. See you guys there!

·
I am Walt
6,393 Posts
Looks like I'm in for 24 hours of "fun" on the SS. I'll be on a Lynskey Ridgeline and wearing a black kit. Not sure where I'll be camped since I'll likely arrive late-ish on Friday after that long drive from Oregon. See you guys there!
Nice! And now I don't feel so bad about having to drive up on Friday. See you out there...I'll be on a black LES SS with orange hubs; haven't decided on my jerseys yet!

·
Registered
24 Posts
What do you guys know about the course? My wife is unsure whether to take her hardtail or full squish. I told her to take the HT since she's on a team and not suffering 24 straight hours on it.

·
Registered
450 Posts
What do you guys know about the course? My wife is unsure whether to take her hardtail or full squish. I told her to take the HT since she's on a team and not suffering 24 straight hours on it.
I've done it twice on a Ti HT SS. You really don't need FS...I've suffered a lot more on other 24 hour courses than Enchanted Forest. I'd say it comes down to what the two bike choices are, e.g. weight, tires, etc. Basically, what bike will be faster overall in the 13 mile lap and how many laps your wife will do?

If it's helpful I can send you a link to my Strava activity from last year to get an idea of elevation.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Good point about the bike differences. I've considered the same but she's more worried about having suspension. Procaliber 9.8 vs Trek Fuel EX 8. Race car vs Tank. :)

Yes please send me a link in PM if you can.

·
I am Walt
6,393 Posts
Agree re the HT, particularly on a team. There are some rocky/chunky parts on the final long downhill, but nothing too bad. And if her FS bike is a tank, don't bother.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
I raced this on fast teams on both HT and FS. My HT was Santa Cruz Highball and my FS was Specialized Epic. The Epic was faster, but both bikes were sub 24lbs. Where the epic was faster was on some sections of big Quaking aspen climb as there are some rocky bits and then on the main descent where the FS allowed me to be a bit faster over the rocks. However if I was looking at 23lbs HT vs 30lbs FS I would go HT all the way. Especially for a team race.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Good racing with you.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
How did everyone do?? I met alot of cool people out there but was sick for most of the week before and ended up with a hell of a respiratory infection, did 79 miles . when the sun went down my sinus infection locked down and I just could not get enough air. Rather than make it worse I dropped. 8th in class (40-49) 27th solo male.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
2nd class (40-49) and 4th solo male. 16 laps. Pretty good for first 24hr solo. I nearly feel a part at sundown and end of my 7th lap, but pulled together and had solid race after that.

·
I am Walt
6,393 Posts
How did everyone do?? I met alot of cool people out there but was sick for most of the week before and ended up with a hell of a respiratory infection, did 79 miles . when the sun went down my sinus infection locked down and I just could not get enough air. Rather than make it worse I dropped. 8th in class (40-49) 27th solo male.
Sorry I didn't get a chance to meet you! I did 15 laps as solo SS, which was good for 3rd (and would have won the 50+ cat by two laps...LOL). One lap better than last year, and alot faster, overall, though I thought the course was rockier this year, and felt really beat up by the end of it. Carbon HT was a tough choice for soloing it this year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Way to go fellas!!!!

Yeah toward the bottom where the downhill tighened up was rough when you were on the gas, I felt bad for the Hardtail guys, I rode a few laps with a single speed guy named Ian I believe, dude was a beast.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.