Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still in the process of building while riding my x-5 (still waiitng on Boone xtr chainrings and 11-15t cogs on dura cassette, finish paying off a 05 talas that will go straiaght ot push, and a few other items) and was wondering if anyone is riding a rolfhoff with their ride? Any thoughts on the ups or downs mixing the two? I have been wanting to try it for sometime now but intitial cost of set up and using Jones h-bars have kept me away. I was going for it at the beginning of the year, but instead put resources to x-5. Now I am conteplating agian about it and figure I would build the wheel with sapims blades and mavic 819...but am changing mind hourly so I thought I throw out the pros and cons of the huhb set up. thnaks

·
Bodhisattva
10,866 Posts
El Beastro originally setup his X5 with a Rolhoff.
Got rid of it after a few weeks.
Extremely heavy.
Lots of drag which allegedly goes away after extended use, but was just too painful over the first few weeks.
Very expensive.

We all agreed that the benefits were far outweighed by the negatives.
Cool things are the ability to fine tune the gearing and shift while the pedals are still.

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
Uh oh, I'm crashing the Ventana forum...

I hope the problems El Beastro experienced were unique to Speedhub installations on X5s, but of course they're not.

His rig with the Rohloff installation was jaw-dropping beautiful, but I was in disbelief when I saw his wheel up on eBay a few days after the first photos were posted.

I've managed to run Speedhubs on an NRS, a Hollowpoint, a 29" hardtail, and on my wife's Marin Mount Vision. My Hollowpoint MkIII is my next victim. A less talked about attractionis that on full suspension rides, you can dial in a advatageous chainring and cog combo to optimize your suspension's attributes. Dave Weagle helped me pick a combo to suit his dw-link, and on my wife's single pivot Mt. Vision, I can direct the chainline straight through the pivot point to keep the pedaling neutral.

I don't know specifically what happened in El Beastro's case, but I've found the hub adds around 1.5 pounds over an LX/XT setup.

The hub is a little noisy when it's new, and the shifting takes a few rides to get used to, but those quickly become non-issues. I've never felt as if the hub has slowed me down, and it runs as quietly as the drivetrains of the other guys and gals I ride with. Of course it shines in the mud and muck.

I've thrown a couple of different visitors on my bikes for full rides, and their feedback is positive with the exception of the change in timing shifts -- but even that concern eases by mid-ride.

Demo one if you can. Every rider is going to have different priorities, so it may not fit your needs.. The good news is I'm seeing a smattering of Speedhubs out on the trails, so it is getting easier to find one and convince the owner to let you get some saddle time.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I absolutely love my Rohloff equipped X-5 and will never go back to deraileurs again. I have been riding tons of snow and mud the last few months where the Rohloff shines and I would argue spins with even less resistance than a mucked up traditional setup. Plus no adjustments and less chain wear (from no side loads) -awesome. My work schedule sucks and the 0 maintenance aspect is a big plus, just hop on and ride!

There is a slight weight penalty with the Rohloff, but I overcame this with some carefully chosen parts -some lighter stuff than some folks would use, but I am only 150 lbs and ride fairly smooth. I am at around 31 lbs on a 17in frame with a Maverick fork, ENO crank, 819's, Schwalbes, and a few trips to the ATM. The Rohloff has also gotten quieter and smoother as is often reported, shifts better now than when it was new........

Anyway, a very enthusiastic vote for a Ventana/Rohloff combo! Give it a chance and ride it for more than a week. A ffirst ride will feel akward due to the shifting and noise in a couple of gears, but after time spent on this thing it is the only way to go IMHO.

·
Registered
95 Posts
There is a slight weight penalty with the Rohloff, but I overcame this with some carefully chosen parts -some lighter stuff than some folks would use, but I am only 150 lbs and ride fairly smooth. I am at around 31 lbs on a 17in frame with a Maverick fork, ENO crank, 819's, Schwalbes, and a few trips to the ATM. The Rohloff has also gotten quieter and smoother as is often reported, shifts better now than when it was new........

I for one would like to see a pic of your bike. It sounds very nice.
Thanks.

·
Registered
49 Posts
JuanGonzalez said:
Which BB dou you use to get the 54 chain line requires by rohloff?
Use a Phil Wood 119mm R+4 or a 116mmR+5 and fine tune with the BB cup location. You get a couple mm of adjustabilty using a typical 73mm wide BB. I run the Ti version and have had no durability problems yet (I am 150lbs). Call Phil if you have questions as they have set up a few Rohloff bikes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.