Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you chaps fitted a 29er with a Rohloff Speedhub and if so, with how much success? I've been thinking about putting one on my Inbred, but have seen no instances of Rohloffed 29ers, which makes me wonder if it's not viable for some reason. If it is possible, what fore and aft tooth ratios are acceptable/practical?

Thanks.

·
Occasionally engaged…
1,772 Posts
Here's mine...

I have a 34 tooth chainring, 16 tooth rear cog -- I live in the Rockies and use it for long, epic rides at altitude and want/need low gears. Works great for me. I also switch the bike over to a single speed for much of the year.

Attachments

·
Registered
496 Posts
Your Ti frame

Hi Pet,

I like the looks of your Ti frame, very much the same frame angles as my spot 29er frame, Maybe next year or 2 I'll invest in a Ti 29er, gotta move some(maybe all!!) of my 26 wheeled stuff, hasn't been ridden since I've gotten the 29er, and prolly won't be going back,
Can you get some pics of your bike, I'm intersted in the BB, chainstay, tire clearance area, Mine has a little clearance, but with no "crimped" areas, like a geared bike would have

Thanx, VernDogger

·
Occasionally engaged…
1,772 Posts
Vernon VernDog said:
Can you get some pics of your bike, I'm intersted in the BB, chainstay, tire clearance area, Mine has a little clearance, but with no "crimped" areas, like a geared bike would have.
I've posted on this bike before:
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=73760
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=96816

There are more pictures in that post, but none of the tire clearance area. There's clearance to run a Nanoraptor/Fast Trak/Ignitor, but not much more. I had James at Black Sheep build the frame specifically to keep the Q-factor low. There could be more clearance without sacrificing the Q-factor I wanted, but I'm happy with the clearance I have.

·
Registered
918 Posts
PeT said:
I've posted on this bike before
Hey PeT-

Why did you run cables instead of a shifter box? I've always run boxes on my Rohloffs, any advantages to using the cables?

I'm considering putting one on my MC when it gets here, but will need to be kinda imaginative, since Matt won't put in mounts for a Speedbone or OEM plate. Hate to use the torque arm, but may have to.

Do you have a Speedbone on the disc mount? Doesn't look like it...RC

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Done a couple of frames for Rohloff now. 26er or 29er, makes no difference, no surprises there.

The Paragon Sliders for Rohloff are a very neat and clean solution, easpcially if you run the cables under the chainstay.

·
Occasionally engaged…
1,772 Posts
2xPneu said:
Why did you run cables instead of a shifter box? I've always run boxes on my Rohloffs, any advantages to using the cables?
Not ever having a shifter box, I can't really speak with authority. However, I liked the idea of the slightly lighter weight and the reported lighter shift action of the cables. Of course the cables are only an option if you're using a V-brake on the rear. I've rearranged the cables a bit from what my pictures show and it's very clean, with many mistaking the set-up as a single speed, somewhat suprising for all the cables coming off the bar...

2xPneu said:
Do you have a Speedbone on the disc mount? Doesn't look like it...RC
No speedbone. The OEM2 axle plate engages a peg thats bolted on to the disc mount. Here's a pretty good picture of it...

Attachments

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
Rohloff? On a 29"er? :)

As Thylacine said, no difference 29 or 26. I've had mine on an NRS, Mount Vision, Hollowpoint, MkIII and Azure as well as the "Speedhub friendly" Van Dessel Buzz Bomb (29") pictured below.

I don't know when or what my 29" full suspension will be, but I can guarantee I know what drivetrain is going on it!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the replies boys

I guess it can be done then :thumbsup:

Thanks especially for the gearing comments, and for some fine looking bike pics. I'll get there eventually. It's my Inbred 29er I've been thinking of converting and Brant's new sliding Rohloff dropout plates have kicked me a step further to going for it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.