Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
1,283 Posts
I know how you feel...mine is done, but I can't have it yet!

don't mean to hijack your thread, but it seemed kind of coincidental...not a belt drive, but a rohloff all the same. who made yours? Is that steel? What finish is on it?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks. I will have to re-lace the back wheel, since I did it wrong.
So far it's pretty heavy, but that was expected.
The BB is used, but it's a Chris King so I'll regrease it and see if it spins more freely, if not i'll buy a new BB.
The Rohloff already has a good bit of drag, and having a tensioned belt will just add to that. If it's too much I'll probably abandon it for a chain for the TD.

·
Slow But Still Pedaling
484 Posts
How's this going so far? Building up a custom myself with a Rohloff right now and debating the belt Q (and the same bike will also have a SON hub so don't want to go too overboard with the drag!).

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
so far no, but I may not have the tension exactly right.
I'll have to read the manual.
Pedaling it in the stand seems like a lot, but I don't remember how it was with just a chain.
I've only ridden it in the parking lot and it was a dream.

Edit
can a mod fix the title please?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
JimInSF said:
Get this on the road yet?
Yup,
I've got about 120 miles of gravel and 60 of single track. No issues, not slipping.
I had some oil leak out the drive side(despite not laying on that side), and it mixed with some of the excess anti seize and gunked up the belt, but that was a quick clean.

·
Slow But Still Pedaling
484 Posts
Project2501 said:
Yup,
I've got about 120 miles of gravel and 60 of single track. No issues, not slipping.
I had some oil leak out the drive side(despite not laying on that side), and it mixed with some of the excess anti seize and gunked up the belt, but that was a quick clean.
Does it feel like the belt is adding extra drag versus the Rohloff with a chain? And any idea where/why it leaked? (Curious if the belt tension is pulling on the bearings hard enough to deform the shell and cause a leak or...)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
JimInSF said:
Does it feel like the belt is adding extra drag versus the Rohloff with a chain? And any idea where/why it leaked? (Curious if the belt tension is pulling on the bearings hard enough to deform the shell and cause a leak or...)
I have not noticed any drag. I'm not fast so it probably wouldn't be noticeable by me anyway.
As far as the leak goes goes, no telling. Mine has always leaked oil.

·
Registered
259 Posts
JimInSF said:
The axle should be bearing the load of all of the tension. The bearings would only bear the load of the bike and rider, right?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.