Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today, at Italy, Villa Bassa, the belgian Cannondale-Vredestein rider Roel Paulissen won the Worldchampionship MTB Marathon 2008, before Christophe Sauser. :thumbsup: :yesnod:

Being a Belgian C'dale fan, this is truly great news. Last years at the WC MTC Marathon at Verviers, Roel ended 2nd after Sauser. This year, Roel proves again that he is one of top professional MTB'ers of the world.

Let's pray that he can maintain his shape, and even better it, for the Olympic games end of August!

·
Registered
250 Posts
That is great news! I read it was quite a thriller end when both Roel and Christoph sprinted for victory and crashed before the finish line. Christoph was the first one to get on his bike again and crossed the finish line before Roel who was in anger because Christoph would have hindered him in the sprint. Eventually UCI decided that Roel got the gold and Christoph the silver medal.
Kayba

·
Registered
43 Posts
You can't quite tell, it kinda looks like the stem/steerer snapped, doesn't it? And well, when you hit asphalt at speed anything can happen, so that's not a question of bike being fragile or not. Luckily none of the two got injured!

But it did look like Sauser was pushing Roel out before that finish line, no wonder they took away that win from him.

·
Registered
399 Posts
kopaczus said:
You can't quite tell, it kinda looks like the stem/steerer snapped, doesn't it? And well, when you hit asphalt at speed anything can happen, so that's not a question of bike being fragile or not. Luckily none of the two got injured!
Wow. Having just gotten into XC myself and following threads like Andrea's (Eliflap) ultra-light Scalpel, it sure turns me off weight weenie parts. (Assuming he was using non-stock tuned or 3rd party parts.) yes, this was ashpalt, but so what? A rock is no softer.

kopaczus said:
But it did look like Sauser was pushing Roel out before that finish line, no wonder they took away that win from him.
I'm no expert here. (I am completely new to the sport - and incidentally I am a Cannondale fan.) But this looked like a racing incident. Sauser was sprinting to the finish, getting up out the seat and swaying violently. Just like any sprint to the finish. No chance to look behind. He took a tight line, but Roel had his nose there. Roel took his chance, not to mention put himself in a position to be squeezed by being just behind enough. Pure racing incident.

Don't know why it was taken from Sauser.

·
LA CHÈVRE
9,429 Posts
I'm guessing the UCI saw it as Sauser intentionally blocking/boxing Roel against the barriers which is not very sportsman-like. The best place to sprint is just behind the other and Sauser knew very well where Roel was but he made sure Roel had nowhere to go... In road racing, some racers have been, not placed 2nd but completely disqualified for such things but it can be hard to judge, the race officials have the last word though. It must not be as gratifying to get the rainbow jersey under these circumstances... I thought Roel was looking for Sauser to start a fight! :p

·
Registered
399 Posts
Yeah, I hear you. My background is in motorsport, where there is simply a lack of real estate when you get two vehicles near the apex of a turn. So getting your nose clipped when it is at someone's tail on the inside is normal. Make the pass or back off.

But there is no lack of real estate here; I do see the squeeze.

Dan Gerous said:
I'm guessing the UCI saw it as Sauser intentionally blocking/boxing Roel against the barriers which is not very sportsman-like. The best place to sprint is just behind the other and Sauser knew very well where Roel was but he made sure Roel had nowhere to go... In road racing, some racers have been, not placed 2nd but completely disqualified for such things but it can be hard to judge, the race officials have the last word though. It must not be as gratifying to get the rainbow jersey under these circumstances... I thought Roel was looking for Sauser to start a fight! :p

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Dan Gerous said:
What's this? Specialized trying to take over the adjustable seat post market and its team members being unsporting all in a week, unbelievable! What am I saying, they do this rubbish all the time. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
27 Posts
wow, that's a harsh call by the UCI official. Sauser didn't make any sudden direction change and Paulissen positioned himself really poorly for the sprint.

A shame it had to be decided like that though.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.