Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
This place needs an enema
17,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
BRs and I got the heck outta Dodge last week. Left the snow, drove for 6 hours, arrived to find warm temps and mostly dry trails.

First day (Slickrock Swamp) I didn't even bother to bring the camera. Since I hadn't ridden the mtb on dry dirt in months, I figured it was best to focus on remembering which end of the bike was supposed to stay upright. Rode for ~3 hours, played a bit, didn't bleed. 'Nuff said.

Second day we met Krein atop Gooseberry Mesa.

A bit of elevation and a lot of protected northern exposures meant that there was still quite a bit of snow and ice to be found. We enjoyed the riding, but in all honestly were a bit disappointed at what we found there. GBM is loaded with fun features to play on, and very, very few of these were doable because of the ice. We improvised.

At one point I had an awkward little crash and bent my der hanger. I also had the presence of mind to notice that it might, possibly, conceivably have been the most scenic place I've ever had a mechanical in:

Then we collectively lapsed in judgement and stayed out a bit long, with the result that our drivetrains aged a few months in an hour.

Third day we enlisted El Chingon as our guide. He showed us the results of their blood and sweat (no tears--they live in SW Utah for chrissakes, what's to cry about?) in adding several features to the Barrel Trail. Our introduction to the South Shore was humbling, at best. Next time I get back there I hope to have either elevated my riding, or learned to disengage the "That's gonna kill me" reflex in my noggin'. Fun stuff that El C made look easy.

Inspired by El C's nonchalance, we three tentatively tried a few of the moves, leaving others for 'next time'.

After El C called it a day we did a short, fun out and back that we hadn't been on in years.

After a gut bomb of a lunch we headed out for a sunset ride on Broken Mesa. An hour of climbing took a bit longer than normal, thanks partially to a short bout with Montezuma's Revenge on the way up. Once the load was lightened and the cold sweats stopped, I considered pulling the plug because I remembered how much effort was required to finish AND enjoy the ride.

Glad I stuck it out and BRs and Krein patiently waited for me. The low-angle light was reward enough, but the techy climb and throw-everything-at-you-at-once descent are just too damn fun to miss.

Last day was the famous Gould/JEM loop. Since it's more of an xc ride BRs grabbed his 'light bike' (probably still 32lbs) and I swapped lighter wheels and faster tires onto my Behemoth. Krein had his Leviathan with, but opted to stick with the Behemoth. At several intersections BRs and I would come to a sliding, drifting stop, laughing so hard tears were rolling down our cheeks. Haven't had that much fun carving and drifting on an 'xc trail' in years. Reminded me that every trail can be fun, some of them just require you to ride a bit over your normal levels to find it. Only one pic from this loop--too much speed and flow to stop for pics.

Unfortunately, responsibility called and we loaded up and drove 6 hours back to the snow. Looks like it'll be April before I get to ride dirt again...

{sighs}

Thanks to El C for the ride/guide, BRs for the pushing (both mental and physical), and Krein for some good pics.

MC

·
3,049 Posts
Said it before: if you stuck the pick of a giant, hypothetical compass (like you used in geometry) in Springdale and drew a 25 mile circle, you'd have the cool place on earth.

Good stuff Mike, cheers!

·
Team Sanchez
4,369 Posts
Nice Mike. I'm glad you guys enjoyed the rest of your trip. I gotta get out to your neck of the woods this spring! I"ll bring my camelback next time...I promise. Tell Kevin I still owe him a tube!

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
mikesee said:
Unfortunately, responsibility called and we loaded up and drove 6 hours back to the snow. Looks like it'll be April before I get to ride dirt again...

{sighs}
Great scenery and photos of your riding trip. Thanks for sharing them with the bunch. I'm guessing from the gear you were wearing that temps were in the upper 40's to 50's or so during the day. Well worth the 6 hour drive, that's for sure.

I guess you'll have to do a little more cross training in that white fluffly stuff with the sticks on your feet until April.;)

BB

·
uh, or something!
479 Posts
wow. you should enter some of those photos in a contest. most local clubs have contests. maybe Ride or dirtrag. you the man.

·
breathing helium
2,094 Posts
Nice stuff Mike. The weather in Pac NW has been crappola this winter. We've got more snow and ice again. Even my kids said, "It's snowing again!" :(

I can see those long summer days just around the corner. ;)

G

·
Nice!

There are still some places we need to hit up in S. Utah (broken mesa). Thanks for sharing!

We need to enlist the direction of El C too! :)

·
OMR - Old Man Riding
429 Posts
Awesome shots that brings back warm memories of Utah dirt...

Mike,

We've got our own little snow thing going on down here in SoCal. We rode up Mt Wilson on Sat morning (temps in the 30's) froze our a$$es off but much fun coming down Sturtevant Canyon in the snow. Another group went to Noble Canyon in the San Diego area and one guy swears he had frost bite! So those beautiful pictures of Utah dirt really warmed us SoCal guys up!

Thanks,

OMR...:cool:
SoCal

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.