Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple weeks ago with my wife out of town I decided to ride a century. It wasn't easy, but it wasn't hard, either. Well, yesterday being a holiday, and with my wife and I training for a 1000km charity ride through Thailand this November (http://www.tourdethailand.com ; if anyone wants to make a tax-deductible contribution, please pm me!), we thought this would be a good time to break my wife in to century riding.

We rode from our home in DC all the way up to Baltimore's Inner Harbor for lunch at the Cheesecake Factory, and then back home. Round trip was 103 miles. My wife absolutely loved the ride, as did I. But for a 3 mile uphill that couldn't suck enough at about mile 70, it was a fun adventure for us.

So take this as a lesson everyone. If you stay properly hydrated and pace yourself, riding a century isn't that big of a deal. We did it in about 8 hours of saddle time; my solo century was about 6h20m or so a couple weeks ago.

My wife is still so jacked up about her 1st century, and I'm so proud of her. It's a great feeling of accomplishment, and I wish everyone on this board could feel what she feels right now!

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
That is awesome, and not to take away from your accomplishment, but why (WHY!) would anyone ride 51.5 miles to Inner Harbor and then eat at the Cheesecake Factory? :confused: :nono: And how in the heck did you ride 51.5 miles back with that hanging heavy on your gulliver?

I've got a pain in me gullivah, I won't be riding home from school today.
:D

But seriously, that's cool, and I wish I could get my wife to join me on some rides like that, or the one you are planning in Thailand. How cool would that be!

·
Premium Member
2,753 Posts
A couple of years ago, I did back to back centuries. On Saturday, I did 106 miles with 3500' of climbing, 60 of those miles in a fast paced group ride. On Sunday, I did an organized century, 104 miles with 5600' of climbing. about the 95 mile mark on the Sunday ride, my ass had about I could stand, those last 8 miles were tough! .
I did not know what possessed me to do those rides, but I'd do it again, in a minute, if I can ever get the chance.

Good job on your achievement and good luck with your Thailand ride.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bmateo said:
That is awesome, and not to take away from your accomplishment, but why (WHY!) would anyone ride 51.5 miles to Inner Harbor and then eat at the Cheesecake Factory? :confused: :nono: And how in the heck did you ride 51.5 miles back with that hanging heavy on your gulliver?

:D

But seriously, that's cool, and I wish I could get my wife to join me on some rides like that, or the one you are planning in Thailand. How cool would that be!

Yeah, I know. Whod've thunk we'd want the Cheesecake Factory? But when we got there we both saw it, looked at each other, and nodded. I had the cajun chicken fingers and fries, and my wife had a chicken burrito. It hit the spot!

·
Registered
9,439 Posts
Huh, whoodaa thunk that at a place called "cheesecakes" you could get chicken fingers and burritos? riding 50 miles after a burrito I could stomach. 50 miles after a piece or cheesecake (wait, I couldnt contain myself with just 1 piece, probably 3 or 4) I wouldnt have a chance.

Good luck on the 1000km event. Make sure to keep us posted (pics?) :thumbsup:

ecox said:
Yeah, I know. Whod've thunk we'd want the Cheesecake Factory? But when we got there we both saw it, looked at each other, and nodded. I had the cajun chicken fingers and fries, and my wife had a chicken burrito. It hit the spot!

·
I just wanna ride my bike
845 Posts
006_007 said:
wait, I couldnt contain myself with just 1 piece, probably 3 or 4) I wouldnt have a chance.
Hmmm, reminds me of a certain Fort Ebey ride where someone 'couldn't contain themself' and inhaled half a dozen Krispy Kreme donuts in about 5 minutes flat. :p :D

·
Registered
9,439 Posts
you forgot to count the other 4 I scarfed down in the line waiting to order...... and there also was not a 50 mile bike ride after either.......

:p

TheotherH said:
Hmmm, reminds me of a certain Fort Ebey ride where someone 'couldn't contain themself' and inhaled half a dozen Krispy Kreme donuts in about 5 minutes flat. :p :D

·
Chilling out
6,029 Posts
TheotherH said:
Hmmm, reminds me of a certain Fort Ebey ride where someone 'couldn't contain themself' and inhaled half a dozen Krispy Kreme donuts in about 5 minutes flat.
yeah, but all you really have to fight there is the sugar crash.

Once masticated, a doz c-c only take up about 3 cubic centimeters of space.

They just *feel* bigger.

·
Registered
181 Posts
TheotherH said:

We call 'em "Dixie Powerbars" down round these parts. ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts