Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
No Clue Crew
7,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That is, after I figured out that Pima Wash is NOT Javalina. Not sure how I got the directions screwed up, but spent half an hour hub deep in sand. I'm not always the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I should have noted the lack of tire tracks.

Anyway, once I figured out where I was going, I had a blast. Not as tech as National obviously, but more fun than DC. Good times.

Now, what's the most direct route to get back to the Ramadas from the end of Javalina when it dumps out in the parking lot? I ended up taking Beverly Canyon and then some combination of East/West loops to get back, but felt like there should be a more direct route. I've never been in that area before.
d

G

·
Blatant said:
That is, after I figured out that Pima Wash is NOT Javalina. Not sure how I got the directions screwed up, but spent half an hour hub deep in sand. I'm not always the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I should have noted the lack of tire tracks.

Anyway, once I figured out where I was going, I had a blast. Not as tech as National obviously, but more fun than DC. Good times.

Now, what's the most direct route to get back to the Ramadas from the end of Javalina when it dumps out in the parking lot? I ended up taking Beverly Canyon and then some combination of East/West loops to get back, but felt like there should be a more direct route. I've never been in that area before.
d
Javelina is a great trail:thumbsup:

Beverly is the most direct route back to Pima from 46th St.

·
No Clue Crew
7,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Doesn't Beverly peter out somewhere back in there or did I get turned around? Appeared you HAVE to take some combo of East or West loops to get back. I'll pay better attention tomorrow; think I'm going to go ride it again.

Man, Javalina is super-flowy. Couple spots to get small air, high-speed. Good times for sure.
d

G

·
Blatant said:
Doesn't Beverly peter out somewhere back in there or did I get turned around? Appeared you HAVE to take some combo of East or West loops to get back. I'll pay better attention tomorrow; think I'm going to go ride it again.

Man, Javalina is super-flowy. Couple spots to get small air, high-speed. Good times for sure.
d
From 46th, go up and over to where those apartments are.

Follow that trail to the 2nd wash crossing on the left, maybe 200 yrds or so.

This will line you up with that big ugly hill with the really really rocky climb up to under the power lines tower.

From under the tower, veer left and keep going up. Drop in the other side, stay right and then climb that last little hill to where the stone wall is.

From there you should see and be able to drop over to Pima.

·
No Clue Crew
7,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. That's basically what I did. That ugly climb in the heat up to the power lines sucked the life out of me.
d

·
Saucy Size
4,482 Posts
Unfortunately, you've overdrawn your account by the time you reach the bottom of Javelina. I think you end up about 200' lower than you started at Pima Canyon. One option I'll do is to do the little climb out of Beverly Canyon go to the end of the apartments, turn left into the wash, and pick up the trail behind the apartments. Very fun, relatively flat and swoopy. That takes you back to the golf course. Then you have to turn right and hump it up the switchback to the ridge between the apartments and the golf course -- you'll know it once you're on it. It's a higher climb than just hitting Beverly Canyon straight on, but IMO it's actually more pedalable. From the top of that ridge, you can either follow the ridge to the bottom or take one of the social trails :)o) off to the north -- either way, you end up on East Loop. Then follow the loop around the golf course and ta-da! You're back at Pima Canyon.

p.

·
EXORCIZE
2,242 Posts
I don't know if I can describe it correctly, but the route I use to avoid the power line climb (I thought that was BC!) follows the most eastward portions of Pima loops. The critical turn is easy to miss coming from this direction - you have to stay eastward until you descend slightly toward a dark-colored residential condo building so that you literally ride right next to it. Somewhere near there, there's a bunch of rocks on top of a drainage spillout - go over the rocks and continue on trail. You follow the loop clockwise and pass through a short intermediate section before having a couple options that lead left (south) and back to the Ramadas.

Not the most direct route, and I haven't described it well, but its fast and flowy, and avoids the power line area.

Edit: I think I was trying to describe what Paul B did describe. And yes, more "pedalable" - especially on a SS.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Blatant said:
Thanks. That's basically what I did. That ugly climb in the heat up to the power lines sucked the life out of me.
d
There is another way that is less direct,but less steep and messy. In the end it might actually be faster.
I'm not sure this is the best description, but...
- go up beverly canyon from the lot.
- at the wash 666 mentioned make the hard left to the right side of the rocks. ride this up and after a could quick ups and downs you'll see the golf course on the left
- There are a few options to get back to the lot from there.

Give this a shot if you don't like the messy stuff under the powerlines.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts