Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Rode an El Cap Yesterday

816 views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  dogalope 
#1 ·
Hopefully going to order one today. My only reservation is the fork. The bike I rode had a White Bros. 80mm fork, and it seemed antiquated, almost elastomeric. It was also the 80mm so the geometry was a little steep. What are my other fork options for this bike?Everything points to Reba. Maybe Maverick. How much of a PITA is it to change the travel on a Reba?
Fox if your out there build a fork!!!!!
If you haven't ridden one of these do yourself a favor and try one. Riding it negated all of my reservations. It was a blast to say the least.
P.

#2 ·
dogalope said:
What are my other fork options for this bike?Everything points to Reba. Maybe Maverick.
White Bros makes 100mm and 130mm travel forks in the BW series. They also just introduced a completely new design (called IMV) that I think is just coming available now. Check the 29er board for many posts on IMV.

I own two 29ers, one with a 80mm Reba and one with a Maverick DUC32. The Maverick is MUCH better, IMO. Much plusher/smoother. Feels a lot like the Fox forks I have ridden in the past.

The big problem with the Mav is cost. You can find Rebas in the $300-350 range, so you are probably talking about half-price or better compared to the DUC.

The Reba is not a bad fork, just not nearly as smooth as the Mav.

Marzhocchi also makes a 29er Marathon. I have no personal experience with this one - you might want to check the 29er board for info.

#3 ·
dogalope said:
Hopefully going to order one today. My only reservation is the fork. The bike I rode had a White Bros. 80mm fork, and it seemed antiquated, almost elastomeric. It was also the 80mm so the geometry was a little steep. What are my other fork options for this bike?Everything points to Reba. Maybe Maverick. How much of a PITA is it to change the travel on a Reba?
If you haven't ridden one of these do yourself a favor and try one. Riding it negated all of my reservations. It was a blast to say the least.
P.
sorry, using someone elses computer, didn't realize I was logged in as him.

#6 ·
BIke N Gear said:
I originally built my El Cap with a Maverick DUC, but I have since replaced it with a custom modified Lefty. It hasn't been ridden much since the switch (too much snow). Been riding my SS rigid Karate Monkey.

If your interested in the DUC, you can PM me.
Thanks for the offer Bike and all of the other insight. I orderd the bike today (Electric Red) w/ an RP3 and a Reba race which is all QBP had available. Its gonna have to work until something better comes along. Looked at the WB site and they are still only showing the BW .8 & 1.0. The Reba is getting enough good press in the 29er forum to make me feel good about it.
Now the waiting begins, the sleepless nights, the daydreaming, the routing of all conversations to mountain biking and hopefully my new bike as if everyone is interested.

#7 ·
I like the DUC on my El Cap

dogalope said:
P.
Seemed stiffer than a QR WB and extremely plush. I also like the lock down feature. A small o-ring broke and it lost air. It was a simple fix. One of the seals is dribbling a little, otherwise it has been problem free. Maverick customer service is tops.

#8 ·
abscar said:
Seemed stiffer than a QR WB and extremely plush. I also like the lock down feature. A small o-ring broke and it lost air. It was a simple fix. One of the seals is dribbling a little, otherwise it has been problem free. Maverick customer service is tops.
Get some Enduro seals to fix the oil leak problem, they make a huge difference.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.