Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did about 12 miles today. Not as wet as I thought it would be. A lot of water in the streams and the normally wet areas were soaked, but no probelem getting a good ride in. I did spend a good bit of time clearing blowdown. Did not have a saw with me but was able to clear some of the eye pokers and and spoke breakers. I think I'll take the dogs and my son up there for a walk and clear some of the pain in the butt stuff tomarrow. A couple of the logs just need to have the branchs cut out from under them to let them lay on the trail, now they are waist high. Too high to ride over, too low to get under and too long to get around. A couple like this I was able to remove enough branchs to allow a person to get by. One spot on shelter trail had three big trees across the trail, not easy to get by. They need toi be cleaned up a bit before people strat makeing trails around them. If you ride there bring a folding saw a help a little bit, only takes a few minutes to make some of these rideable.
Chris

· The endless excuses guy
270 Posts
Nice going. I was on Breakheart trail a couple of weekends ago and there was still a bunch of snow on the back-side. I always try to leave the trail a better place when I ride it too. Where about are you from? I live in Richmond (Alton). Good to be back out there without having to dress for winter (lots of layers, studded tires, Camelback hose freezing up). Maybe I'll see you out there someday (provided you bring the yellow lab with the cool shades, otherwise ?????)

270 Posts
Hugh, Burlingame is a gas too. Rode it yesterday. Lots of water and technical stuff that isn't there in warmer weather. Definitely a nice after work loop.

· Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Will ride Big River Thursday Night

I hope to do Big River at 5pm Thursday. Not sure though. Sorry to say Maggie will not be at Acadia again. She passed away last May from cancer. She was a great dog. We had to get another Emma (yellow) and her brother Baby (black) live next door here in Newport. She is into music and red wine.
Chris

Rooster said:
Nice going. I was on Breakheart trail a couple of weekends ago and there was still a bunch of snow on the back-side. I always try to leave the trail a better place when I ride it too. Where about are you from? I live in Richmond (Alton). Good to be back out there without having to dress for winter (lots of layers, studded tires, Camelback hose freezing up). Maybe I'll see you out there someday (provided you bring the yellow lab with the cool shades, otherwise ?????)

Attachments

270 Posts
Sorry

hugh088 said:
I hope to do Big River at 5pm Thursday. Not sure though. Sorry to say Maggie will not be at Acadia again. She passed away last May from cancer. She was a great dog. We had to get another Emma (yellow) and her brother Baby (black) live next door here in Newport. She is into music and red wine.
Chris
Sorry to hear about Maggie. They become part of the family and it hurts like hell to lose any part of that.

How was Big River? Haven't been there since last year (I think?). My riding buddy just got his new Ellsworth Moment yesterday and we're heading out to Miller's Pond in New London CT for its maiden voyage. He wants his 1st ride to be on familiar turf (Miller's is in his back yard). Taking the kiddies to Burlingame campgraound for a ride after work today. They're 4 and 6 years old. Its a blast because the gates are closed (=no cars) and its blast watching them without having to worry about traffic. They're on new Haro Backcontry Z-20's (Stylin').

Might get out to Arcadia on Sunday. No matter, just getting out there is the important thing.

· Registered
4,080 Posts
OK - I'm new to this area; moved to Newport last fall. I'd love to get out on the dirt rather than a road ride tomorrow. How do I get to Acadia and are there maps or signs so I don't get lost?

How far is it from Newport? Thanks!

Hugh - where in Newport are you?

· Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Acadia

It's Exeter RI, about 30min drive. It's a big place with a varity of trails. I suggest you speak to the people at Ten Speed Spokes. They do a ride Sunday Mornings at 7 AM. They meet at the bike shop. You can also contact the NEMBA people. They have a web site and they are good people. I have to run to catch a plane to Brazil for a month.
Chris

How do I get to Acadia and are there maps or signs so I don't get lost?

How far is it from Newport? Thanks!

Hugh - where in Newport are you?[/QUOTE]

270 Posts
Just about all the bike shops I've been in have a really good map of Arcadia with all the main trails listed on it. Its a pretty big place (real big by RI standards), so you need to take that into consideration before you get too far into it. The main trails are blazed, but its still easy to miss a turn and get on the wrong trail. There are fire roads thoughout (generally) so if you bonk out or have a problem, its not to hard to get out. The place is really great for MTB'ing though, something for everyone. If you get the map and look it over a bit, I'll be happy to give you any additional info you might want (I have by no means been on all the trails).

Your profile says USN for a day job.....are you a squid? I finished up my enlistment as a MM2(SW) A-Ganger there on board the mighty warship Aylwin, FF-1081 (long since decommisioned, I think Turkey or Greece has her now).

RI isn't a bad place to live, you just gotta know where to go to have fun.

· Registered
4,080 Posts
Yep - squid here.

Rooster said:
Your profile says USN for a day job.....are you a squid? I finished up my enlistment as a MM2(SW) A-Ganger there on board the mighty warship Aylwin, FF-1081 (long since decommisioned, I think Turkey or Greece has her now).

RI isn't a bad place to live, you just gotta know where to go to have fun.
I'm at the Naval War College right now. Staying on in Newport over at the Reserve Center as CO. So, I'll be here for a total of about 3 years.

Being from ME, this is a great place to be stationed. Of course, flying out of Whidbey Island, WA, I was pretty happy out there, too. Not sure what's next; thinking about Germany if I can get it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.