Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
slap happy
417 Posts
i've been using a cheapy domain 302 u-turn, and it's been great. like someone else posted, there's no fine tuning but it's truly a reliable fork.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
knowing what the wholesale is, they must be OE or older non-2011's cause if they aren't they're taking a significant loss with each sale.

·
Registered
451 Posts
istandalone said:
i've been using a cheapy domain 302 u-turn, and it's been great. like someone else posted, there's no fine tuning but it's truly a reliable fork.
You can easily turn it into a 318 if you want, just order the motion control damper and drop it in the right side if you want some compression control. I think the cost is around $40 for the cartridge.

·
slap happy
417 Posts
ride_nw said:
You can easily turn it into a 318 if you want, just order the motion control damper and drop it in the right side if you want some compression control. I think the cost is around $40 for the cartridge.
i was reading up on doing that just now. me thinks that ill be upgrading it before the really nice riding weather gets here. prolly will upgrade to a stiffer spring also.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
after spending a little time on a dc domain and 2010 boxxer team back to back, the domain feels much better, much better small bump compliance, very very plush, very good bottom out resistance when its needed, the domain i was on was tf'd for a 14 stone rider, im 10stone kitted up, and yet it felt much much better then a boxxer tf'd for 10stone.

the boxxer had that dry stale feeling all the 2010's have, where as the 2011 domains were as plush as my 07 888.

·
Its got what plants crave
5,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't know if there were any improvements for 2010/2011, but my 08 Domain 318 feels incredible, especially for what's supposed to be a low end fork. I did blow up the rebound damper, but Rockshox was on the ball and had it fixed and back to me within a week, including shipping time. It had a leaking rebound knob due to a poor quality crush washer, and I guess it blew out all the fluid. I've probably got a year or more on the rebuild and it's great. I really didn't expect as much fork for the money as I got. If the Totem and Lyrik are supposed to feel even better, they must be really damn good forks.

·
slap happy
417 Posts
cool, thanks for the link. that's all i need though, right? no other seals or gaskets that i'll need to replace upon opening the fork?

tool is the greatest band of all time, but their newer stuff isn't up to snuff. nothing can compair to opiate and undertow.
the reverend maynard is a wise one. i've met him (once) and it was one of the most intense experiences in my life. they played at the war memorial in utica ny and we (my crew and me) ran into him out back behind the facility.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
You will need the top knob as well. Other than that, download the service manual from Rockshox site so you know the oil levels, get a 24mm socket to screw in new damper. Super easy swap, just be careful sliding in to not damage o-rings that are on the unit. I like to rub some shock oil on them first.

http://www.ride-this.com/index.php/rock-shox-mocois-knob-kit-07-domlyktotbox-alum.html?source=googleps

Jealous you were able to meet Maynard. Just recently watched his Blood into Wine documentary and am thinking of taking the girlfriend down to check out/get some of his creations. She bought me one of the few you can get shipped for xmas so think she could be convinced to take a road trip.
I like the new albums but you are right, they are different. I think it is natural to have your energies shift as you mature and try not to compare as much as look at the merits of each on their own, they all have their value though they may not resonate the same in you. Unless we are talking Metallica, they just plain sold out and went to turd city.

·
slap happy
417 Posts
don't even get me started on metallica. granted, they're one of the bands that got me listening to metal, but they sold out and went commercial.....which sucks because they were once great.
i may have met him once, but was in a chemical induced haze when it happened. you on the other hand have something that will last a lifetime :)

thanks for the link. i'll probably convert this 302 over to 318 as soon as spring comes.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.