Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Team Sanchez
4,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This past weekend, I was able to give the Rocco a thorough testing in a variety of terrain ranging from slow technical slick rock, to fast rocky singletrack. I threw in a mix of drops to tranny, and flat, as well as some gaps and stepups. Here are my impressions:

Day 1 was spent on the Barrel trail. For anyone who has ridden that trail, they know how fast and technical it is. The ride starts out with a 20 minute climb to the top. This is where I spent my time fiddeling with the TST adjuster. There are 5 clicks of adjustment. Basically the TST is the propedal adjustement. When turned all the way to the +, the shock feels like it is almost completely locked out. Turn the knob 180 degrees to the -, and the shock becomes uber-plush. I am amazed at the range of platform you get from one half turn of this knob. On the stock DHX, the propedal knob to me never created a noticeable difference, but on the Rocco, the difference is night and day. This I loved. Day 2 was spent out on the slickrock of Little Creek Mesa. For this type of slow speed techy riding with quick up's and downs, I set the TST in the middle setting: This created a more forgiving feeling in the rear suspension, without wallowing in it's travel, when climbing up stair steppy sections. Every click of the TST adjuster makes a noticeable difference.

Descending: For the initial descent on the Barrel trail, I opened the TST up all the way, and let er' rip. The rear end of my 07 RFX tracked nicely, and I give the Rocco an advantage over the stock DHX, but, I still feel that the Push'd DHX tracked better than the Rocco. Despite playing with the rebound knob several times, the Rocco still got a bit spikey in the high speed chop, but still significantly better than the stock DHX.

Big hits is where the Rocco really shines. The Rocco feels nice and deep, without that harsh ramp up at the end of the stroke, like the stock DHX. I was running 220 psi in the air chamber on the Rocco. The range is 180-220 psi, and I set it at max, and left it there.

I really think that the Rocco is superior in every way to the stock DHX. The TST adjuster is very nice, and much more convenient than the Propedal adjuster of the DHX. The Rocco tracks better thru the chop, and feels much deeper on the big hits than the DHX.

Two thumbs up.

Attachments

·
Team Sanchez
4,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Squeaky Wheel said:
El Chig,
I rode the Rocco around a bit last year and agree. It's nicer than a stock DHX-C, particularly on big hits where you don't feel the harsh ramp-up that I couldn't eliminate on the DHX-C until I had it PUSH tuned.
Agreed. The Push still reigns supreme, but for a stock shock, I really think the Rocco is the way to go. Now if only we can talk DT into spec'ing the Spots and RFX's with Rocco's, the world would be a better place. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Good review. I think it's interesting how shock preference by most rider's continues to move in a circle from "plushnicity rules all" to "must have platform". Good to see a few shocks out there covering both spectrums.

Although that red ano makes me want to hurl.

·
Amphibious Technologies
3,472 Posts
Dusty Bottoms said:
Good review. I think it's interesting how shock preference by most rider's continues to move in a circle from "plushnicity rules all" to "must have platform". Good to see a few shocks out there covering both spectrums.

Although that red ano makes me want to hurl.
You get both with the pDHX and you don't even have to twist any knobs. :D

Anyway, I think the rocco will look good on Fo's RFX

·
GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
3,844 Posts
Good write up. Why does everyone call it a Rocco and not a Roco? Is that some more "ghey" Turner slang?

I am anxious to hear reviews of the Roco Air (avail. 2/10?). On paper it looks like it could be pretty sweet, and the retail on it I guess is gonna be under 2 Hondas. No one by any chance has ridden one, have they?

ROCO R Air
Linear air spring with fixed negative air
Externally adjustable rebound
Nickel coated body
Designed for Cross Country and All Mountain riding
340 grams

·
shaved yeti
430 Posts
NoahColorado said:
Good write up. Why does everyone call it a Rocco and not a Roco? Is that some more "ghey" Turner slang?
Hilarious pun, considering ROCO stands for Rock Out with your Cock Out. It must mean there are two cocks involved in the Turner Forum... ROCCO.... "ghey"... whatever....

·
I don't do PC
7,401 Posts
I have yet to notice this harshness on big hits with my DHX, didn't they change the valving a bit for '07? If the Pushed DHX is as good as you guys say then I think I would rather have the DHX stock so I can have it Pushed if I want, unless of course the Pushed ROCO is even better when it's available, my head is spinning trying to keep up, I just wish the snow would melt so I can friggin ride my bike on dirt!

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
DAMN! i've been trying to get that exact length for my 07 RFX and have had an order in since October. I put my order in before they had the part # and the 'lost' my order.

Great to see you like it.

Push is making piston kits for them as we speak...

·
%$#$*!
811 Posts
Thanks for the review El C. The TST sounds like the way to go in terms of versatility for the RFX. That's one of the things I wish I had on my pushed van rc. A pushed Roco that retains its TST lever would be sweet!

As far as clearance, how close does the reservoir come to the downtube upon full compression? I'm curious if there are any clearance issues for older model rfx's?

I'm wondering if the Roco air will be any good too. There were high hopes for the rockshox pearls and mc's but that didn't seem to pan out.

·
Team Sanchez
4,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
To be honest with you, I never laid the Rocco side by side to the Push'd DHX, so I can't comment on the clearance. I"m on an XL frame, and clearance was not an issue.

·
Registered
9,473 Posts
beefmagic said:
A pushed Roco that retains its TST lever would be sweet!
El C's impressions are pretty much in line with mine- I've got two roco's now and my shock UGI is pretty much dead.

The Roco RC (same as the WC) pretty much feels like the TST-r, except stuck between the two plushest settings, with micro-adjustability.. It's actually nice to have that ability to really fine-tune the compression damping on a dedicated FR bike. For any bike that sees frequent climbing, the macro-adjustment of the TST-r is the way to go!

According to 'Zocchi, the TST-r guts are retr-fittable into the RC & WC roco's. I may switch the RC on my highline to a TST at some point, if it's not too expensive.

I too am really curious to see what Push has in the works. I hope it doesn't invlove removal of the TST feature... also, the roco is user-rebuildable with an air charge. I wonder if the PUSH treatment will involve a nitogen charge, non user-servicable? I guess we'll have to wait and see. The roco TST seems pretty much perfect as is, but I'm sure PUSH can work some magic on it....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.