Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How does one go about making a decision on a Roco shock between the TST version and the WC? Isn't the only difference the way the compression damping is handled? Can someone explain how the shocks will ride and what differences the two models will have? FWIW I'm looking at the air versions of each shock. Thanks for any help. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
The only difference between the two is the compression valve.

I've had the coil versions of both on the same bike. What bike are you looking to put this on? How's it going to be ridden? The TST does not have the small bump sensitivity of the WC, even when the TST lever is wide open. It also feels slightly less controlled on larger hits. On the flip side, it pedals better. Trade off. If you've got any more questions, feel free.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's going on an '06 Specialized SWorks Enduro. I am looking at the 8.75X2.75 version which is 1/4" longer stroke with same eye to eye as the stock DHXA. I have seen pics of the coil version of this shock on the same frame with the low BB shuttle and the resi barely clears and I will be checking for any linkage interference at theoretical bottom out.

Anyhoo...I will be running a 36 TALAS RC2 on the front and using the bike for general trail riding (3 chainrings, 4-5' drops max, generally rough terrain). Colorado Rockies riding, Fruita, Moab, etc...but nothing extreme. My main concerns are better rebound control (stock DHXA won't adjust high enough for my 240lb ride wt) and rough terrain performance. I need the wheel to track the ground as smoothly as possible in a controlled fashion (think magic carpet ride). Pedaling efficiency would be nice but I've always been on Horst Link bikes and have never really had an issue with zero platform performance. When I've had a platform shock I just add enough to match the stiction of the front fork to make both ends of the bike feel the same. Also I'm kind of a set it and forget it guy.

As a side note, does anyone know why PUSH isn't modifying the Roco Air shocks? Aren't they the same as the coil versions which they do work on?

Thanks again for any help!

·
Registered
919 Posts
titusquasi said:
It's going on an '06 Specialized SWorks Enduro. I am looking at the 8.75X2.75 version which is 1/4" longer stroke with same eye to eye as the stock DHXA. I have seen pics of the coil version of this shock on the same frame with the low BB shuttle and the resi barely clears and I will be checking for any linkage interference at theoretical bottom out.

Anyhoo...I will be running a 36 TALAS RC2 on the front and using the bike for general trail riding (3 chainrings, 4-5' drops max, generally rough terrain). Colorado Rockies riding, Fruita, Moab, etc...but nothing extreme. My main concerns are better rebound control (stock DHXA won't adjust high enough for my 240lb ride wt) and rough terrain performance. I need the wheel to track the ground as smoothly as possible in a controlled fashion (think magic carpet ride). Pedaling efficiency would be nice but I've always been on Horst Link bikes and have never really had an issue with zero platform performance. When I've had a platform shock I just add enough to match the stiction of the front fork to make both ends of the bike feel the same. Also I'm kind of a set it and forget it guy.

As a side note, does anyone know why PUSH isn't modifying the Roco Air shocks? Aren't they the same as the coil versions which they do work on?

Thanks again for any help!
I'm running a roco tst coil because I wanted a "non platform" shock. It's well built and easy to service (change oil,add/remove shims etc). It matches very well with the 36 VAN coil up front.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts