Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Is flexy
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So...I ordered a new transition gran mal frame and took a chance by going with the zoke roco rear shock instead of the dhx 5.0. the problem is that I hear it is a great shock but I know little about it. Transition suggested a 550lb spring but I've heard of other people who run the dhx on this frame and are my weight running a 350-400lb spring so 550 sounded high for the roco. I know the roco doesn't have a pedal platform like the dhx but would I need a 150-200lb heavier spring to compensate for that? anyone running this shock on a dh bike and what spring weight do you run. any info would be helpful before I order a spring.

·
Just Grin and HUCK it...
855 Posts
I previously had a dhx-c 5.0 and now sport a zoke roco on my RFX and used the same spring rate on both. A heavier spring will not compensate for the lack of pro-pedal. That's in the valving, not the spring. A heavier spring on the roco will only make it ride more harsh and possibly lessen the travel of the shock. You sure don't want to suppress the smoothness of the roco. The thing is like butta.:thumbsup:

I would say to go with the spring weight that best works for your weight. If the Transition folks recommended a 550#, I would go with that.

FYI - I am about 200lbs w/gear and I'm running a 600# spring on my roco.

·
Registered
9,470 Posts
I think it will depend on which settings you use on the Gran Mal- aren't there a bunch of different holes you can use? And it will also depend on the shock length and stroke. Again I think on the Gran Mal you have options depending on how you want the bike set up.

A general rule of thumb I have always used is this:

travel / shock stroke = ratio. ratio x rider weight = correct spring

So for instance on my highline,
7.25 / 2.5 = 2.9 2.9x170=493lbs.

The highline is really progressive so I've been happy with a 450lb spring, not bottoming on the biggest drops I've hit (8' to tranny or so). If the gran Mal is more linear than you might need to go up 50-100lbs. I woudl get in touch with EbXtreme, he's about your height and rides a Gran Mal, I think he runs a 600lb spring but many have commented his bike is set up very stiff in back.

Good call on the roco, I love mine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.