Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i want a new rear shock for my prophet 600 would the rocco or the fox dhx be better for the bike??

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
ktwodownhill said:
i want a new rear shock for my prophet 600 would the rocco or the fox dhx be better for the bike??
i haven't tried and have no idea about performance or durability or overall value for either shocks you just mentioned but clearly it's Fox you should be looking at.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,806 Posts
If you get the rocco, you'll notice more bobbing and a less efficiant ride. The rocco trades pedaling performance back for suspension performance. Very little low-speed compression damping, which makes it absorb bumps better than shocks that have more inherent compression damping. Due to the fact that your prophet is a single pivot, it would not pedal very well with the rocco.

The DHX on the other hand can be tuned to pedal better, and it has a progressiveness adjustment that helps offset some of the other tendancies of single pivot bikes. The DHX would be my choice for this bike out of the two.

·
aka...appBLING72
1,036 Posts
Cane Creek Double Barrel is an option

Have you considered the Cane Creek Double Barrel. It has separate low/High Speed Compression and Low/High Speed Rebound adjustments to tune to just about any frame design. It is pricey, but it is a step above any shock I have ridden. That includes, Fox, Avy, Progressive, and Manitou. Worth checking into.

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
aappling72 said:
Have you considered the Cane Creek Double Barrel. It has separate low/High Speed Compression and Low/High Speed Rebound adjustments to tune to just about any frame design. It is pricey, but it is a step above any shock I have ridden. That includes, Fox, Avy, Progressive, and Manitou. Worth checking into.
Tell him how much you paid for yours, need a camera for the response on his face :D

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,806 Posts
aappling72 said:
It doesn't have a progressiveness adjustment, which is kind of important for single pivot bikes.

·
aka...appBLING72
1,036 Posts
Jayem said:
It doesn't have a progressiveness adjustment, which is kind of important for single pivot bikes.
Yes it does. In a different way. You can dial out pedal feedback via the low speed compression, which never affects the ending stroke. As for big hits, you can dial in the High Speed compresion to ramp up quicker via it's adjuster. You can do the same thing for the rebound side as well. IMO the "Progressiveness" adjustments on most shocks are functional, but not as useful as the adjustments on the Cane Creek, and IMO it doesn't affect the performance for both sides of riding as good,( slower smaller bumps and faster harder hits) as much as the CCDB's adjustments do. Just my two cents.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,806 Posts
aappling72 said:
Yes it does. In a different way. You can dial out pedal feedback via the low speed compression, which never affects the ending stroke. As for big hits, you can dial in the High Speed compresion to ramp up quicker via it's adjuster. You can do the same thing for the rebound side as well. IMO the "Progressiveness" adjustments on most shocks are functional, but not as useful as the adjustments on the Cane Creek, and IMO it doesn't affect the performance for both sides of riding as good,( slower smaller bumps and faster harder hits) as much as the CCDB's adjustments do. Just my two cents.
Increasing high speed compression to keep a shock from bottoming will make it harsh. There's not really any way around this. If you can keep it from bottoming with high speed damping, but it doesn't affect the ride quality, then it doesn't work as they've claimed. Also, you'll bottom out shocks on low speed impacts too (drops, jumps ,etc). Increasing low speed damping to keep this from happening will also make a shock much harsher.

If your sag is correct, and you bottom out (a definite possibility with many single pivot bikes), you need to adjust progressiveness, whether you have this adjustment or not. Doing anything else, increasing the spring rate, increasing the compression damping will decrease the suspension performance.

·
aka...appBLING72
1,036 Posts
Jayem said:
Increasing high speed compression to keep a shock from bottoming will make it harsh. There's not really any way around this. If you can keep it from bottoming with high speed damping, but it doesn't affect the ride quality, then it doesn't work as they've claimed. Also, you'll bottom out shocks on low speed impacts too (drops, jumps ,etc). Increasing low speed damping to keep this from happening will also make a shock much harsher.

If your sag is correct, and you bottom out (a definite possibility with many single pivot bikes), you need to adjust progressiveness, whether you have this adjustment or not. Doing anything else, increasing the spring rate, increasing the compression damping will decrease the suspension performance.
OK, there has been much debate on this shock in another forum, but I will do my best to try and explain. If you look at the dyno curve on most shocks the curve drops off at the end of the stroke, which is why those shocks need a more progressive feel near the end. As for the CCDB, on the dyno, the curve continues to ramp up all the way to the end. Now, I don't claim to be a expert in suspension dyno's so that isn't what I base my opinions on. However, I have ridden it on two bikes for about a month now, and going off drops and riding slow speed stutters, the shock ramps up to the point that it seems like you don't feel it even getting near the bottom or returning to it's proper sag point. I am running about 33% sag on it. I have ridden Avy's as well and they were the only shock that I thought felt that good off of drops, but they didn't have the ability to isolate low/high speed compression and rebound like the CCDB does. The shock hasn't felt harsh at all. If anything it is the most supple feeling shock I have ridden that gives the best of both worlds, fast root infested singletrack, and hitting drops that have less than desireable transitions at speed. ( 5-6 footers and loading docks is about all I've hit yet.) So, I can't explain it any more clearly with my limited knowledge. It just works. That's all I can say.

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
aappling72 said:
OK, there has been much debate on this shock in another forum,So, I can't explain it any more clearly with my limited knowledge. It just works. That's all I can say.
Quit beffor it turns into the other Thread all over again :cool:. It is a awsome shock, people get too involved in what there suspenssion is doing & less on riding, MIS , make it simple ;).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.