Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read everything there is to read it seems and I'm just damn tired of my Manipoo Metel shock on my Iron Horse 7Point because it simply can't keep up with my 66RC2X. It's overdamped and lacks any real 'pop' to it probably because the rebound has a range of "slow" to "rebounds some time next week". Plus it has platform, which DW bikes don't need if you only plan on shuttling and downhilling like I do.

So I'm replacing it and here's what I can figure. Let me know what you think especially if you have any ride time on one of the other on a DW bike (Sunday or 7Point)...

Roco = Plush. Retard-tunable if you want to add some oil. Platform-free. Should in theory match the 66 (or 888 coming soon) perfectly. But it's red and red clashes with my olive drab (green) frame. Plus it's a first year model and I'm not sure if I should trust that.

DHX = Plush-ish? Tons of adjusters to mess up and blame for my poor riding. Mostly black or grey and matches my frame better. But the platform I hear, doesn't totally go away even when backed off. Not servicable by DIY-guy but definitely retunable by people like Push (a plus and minus).

·
My arm hurts a little
1,471 Posts
Hot Butter Topping said:
Roco = Plush. Retard-tunable if you want to add some oil. Platform-free. Should in theory match the 66 (or 888 coming soon) perfectly. But it's red and red clashes with my olive drab (green) frame. Plus it's a first year model and I'm not sure if I should trust that.

DHX = Plush-ish? Tons of adjusters to mess up and blame for my poor riding. Mostly black or grey and matches my frame better. But the platform I hear, doesn't totally go away even when backed off. Not servicable by DIY-guy but definitely retunable by people like Push (a plus and minus).
ROCO is going to be the same next year as this. It's the most simple desing on the market for a rear shox (good rear shox). I've rode both DHX and ROCO and I abso love the ROCO super plush matches my 888 perfect. I can peddel over Rock sec. super hard and the rear still tracks, on the DHX it would bounce all over the place. (with no ProPedal) And yes there still is a Propedal when It's fully turned off.

I have rode a 7point with a ROCO and it was SUPER PLUSH I was Oh my!!! Way plusher (is that a word) then my Stinky Supreme. SUPER PLUSH I don't know how it was set up but dam.

With the PUSH shocks I hear they just take the ProPedal out of the shock and turn the Fox into a Getto ROCO. Don't really konw the whole story but that's what I heard.

I feel the ROCO pedals fine not as well as the DHX but it will only matter if your doing 30+ min climbs.

My vote ROCO!!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Hey i have a roco on my 7point7 and love it. Definitely very plush. I wouldn't say it climbs terribly, yes it bobs a little when your hammering, but i don't think it feel uncontrolled. You just have to sit and spin if your doing some long climbs, and you will be happy for how plush the shock is in these situations, it smoothes out the climbs just as much as the descents:).

Can't comment dhx's as i have never ridden one, but have buddy's who love them.

Teague

·
Outcast
8,588 Posts
#1ORBUST said:
With the PUSH shocks I hear they just take the ProPedal out of the shock and turn the Fox into a Getto ROCO. Don't really konw the whole story but that's what I heard.
You don't know ANY of the story regarding the dhx upgrades. There are three services; the first is a basic shock service, the second is a service that replaces seals, etc and puts in a high-tec piston, but keeps the boost valve/propedal assembly. The third is the race system, that completely guts the shock. New piston, and a sophisticated compression assembly that affects mid speed riding. To call it a ghetto roco is an insult; the shock is also shimmed to your riding weight and use. You don't get that from an off the shelf roco. I've been riding the pushed dhx for two months now; it's a fabulous shock.

·
crumb
890 Posts
Id say get the ROCO but if your worried about giving up the better shock becuase it clashes with the color, you have other problems to worry about, and other things you should look into such as interior designing.

·
My arm hurts a little
1,471 Posts
Renegade said:
You don't know ANY of the story regarding the dhx upgrades. There are three services; the first is a basic shock service, the second is a service that replaces seals, etc and puts in a high-tec piston, but keeps the boost valve/propedal assembly. The third is the race system, that completely guts the shock. New piston, and a sophisticated compression assembly that affects mid speed riding. To call it a ghetto roco is an insult; the shock is also shimmed to your riding weight and use. You don't get that from an off the shelf roco. I've been riding the pushed dhx for two months now; it's a fabulous shock.
$hit it dam well better be. for $750.00. Thanks now I know. Still i have felt one Getto ROCO. Sorry for the insult.

·
Outcast
8,588 Posts
#1ORBUST said:
$hit it dam well better be. for $750.00. Thanks now I know. Still i have felt one Getto ROCO. Sorry for the insult.
Were do you get $750 from? The cost of the race system upgrade is $245. If you pay full retail for a dhx to send in to push, that's about $400. My math says $645.

Edit: The majority of the customers push is expecting to order this upgrade are ones who allready own a dhx, which is spec'd on mnay bikes as the OEM shock. Those dhx owners now have the choice of getting stellar quality and a shock built just for them as a choice, instead of investing more money in purchasing a roco, which is off the shelf and not customized, or putting out big dollars for an avy built just for them.
Here's a link to the push shock page; http://www.pushindustries.com/services.php?serv_page=fox coil shocks&title=Fox Coil Shocks

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,009 Posts
Renegade said:
Were do you get $750 from? The cost of the race system upgrade is $245. If you pay full retail for a dhx to send in to push, that's about $400. My math says $645.

Edit: The majority of the customers push is expecting to order this upgrade are ones who allready own a dhx, which is spec'd on mnay bikes as the OEM shock. Those dhx owners now have the choice of getting stellar quality and a shock built just for them as a choice, instead of investing more money in purchasing a roco, which is off the shelf and not customized, or putting out big dollars for an avy built just for them.
Here's a link to the push shock page; http://www.pushindustries.com/services.php?serv_page=fox coil shocks&title=Fox Coil Shocks
is it me??? Doesn't it sound bad to buy a shock for 400 and ythen turn around and send it to push to be made better for 245????

·
My arm hurts a little
1,471 Posts
mtb_biker said:
where are you getting 750 from exactly? Pushing a dhx ranges from 100 - 250 i believe depending upon which system you want to upgrade to.
Well I was talking about a New DHX sent to Push for the $250 Race upgrade. OK comes to $650 + shipping Oh & taxes. So really $720. Sorry!!!

I agree with SMT why do you have to buy a shox and auto send it out. Crazy comes to mind.

Not Dogging PUSH, they are a very good co. Just dam!!

·
Outcast
8,588 Posts
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
is it me??? Doesn't it sound bad to buy a shock for 400 and ythen turn around and send it to push to be made better for 275????
SMT, did you actually read my post? It said that push expects most of their bussiness for this upgrade to come from folks who allready own a dhx. And where do you get $275 from? It's $245.
There seems to be a deficiency in reading comprehension and math skills in this thread.

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,009 Posts
Renegade said:
SMT, did you actually read my post? It said that push expects most of their bussiness for this upgrade to come from folks who allready own a dhx. And where do you get $275 from? It's $245.
There seems to be a deficiency in reading comprehension and math skills in this thread.
I guess you can't read either....my post says 245 (he he he)anyway......Push does an excellent job, but if you like the 888 then the roco is the perfect match

·
Outcast
8,588 Posts
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
I guess you can't read either....my post says 245 (he he he)anyway......Push does an excellent job, but if you like the 888 then the roco is the perfect match
SMT, I read the e-mail notification of your post before you edited it and your previous post,:nono: :nono: :nono: , bad boy!

I'm sure the roco is a fine shock, and I can't comment on it since I've never ridden one [ I wish more mtbr members would only offer opinions on equipment they have actually tried themselves] but I offer you all this: the race system upgrade to the DHX changes the shock a lot. It doesn't resemble a stock DHX in feel at all. For all those folks that say a rocco is the best match for an 888 fork; try a pushed dhx before you rule it out as a good match for an 888.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
In my book money is always an object. I definitely like to do things on the cheap, or at least on the froogle. Afterall, I did buy the 7Point knowing full well that it was cheap (now on sale for $1600 at Performance!) and could be built up into a decent downhiller. I don't skimp on suspension though, hence the 66RC2X before even the first ride (goodbye Drop Off!).

I just read the info about the new 07 Roco and apparently nothing has changed, so I'm in the clear to buy an 06 and not feel like a chump a couple weeks later. The red really does bother me though....and I've worked in interior design before too but now do web design and IT nonsense, before any of you ask me to help you pick curtains....homos. ;)

The PUSH race setup sounds great, and I'm sure it is. It would make a lot more sense to do that if you already had the DHX obviously. It makes ZERO sense though like a few people pointed out, to do it to an aftermarket shock and suddenly you've dropped $700+ on the whole thing. And that's without even getting a Ti spring. Yowzers.

I think my biggest worry about the Roco was that it wouldn't have 'pop' and would sit too deep in the travel all the time. But after reading the NSMB stuff today about the Roco I'm feeling better about it having a nice bit of zing. My 7Point tends to feel like it's riding very tank-ish through stuff not over it, and lofting or riding light over stuff is really difficult sometimes.

Maybe I just suck.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Maybe black magic marker will work on the red bits of the Roco....

I attacked my Maxxis orange stripe tires with one of those "kills frontal lobe worth of brain cells" stinky Magnum markers and now have orange stripe free tires on my hardtail. If you aren't fast and don't go big at least you can look good!

....or maybe some sort of black stickers....

·
Outcast
8,588 Posts
Hot Butter Topping said:
The PUSH race setup sounds great, and I'm sure it is. It would make a lot more sense to do that if you already had the DHX obviously. It makes ZERO sense though like a few people pointed out, to do it to an aftermarket shock and suddenly you've dropped $700+ on the whole thing. And that's without even getting a Ti spring. Yowzers.
$645 dollars. No one here can do math.:madman:
Think of it this way; people spend $600 to have an avy dhs shock built for them. The dhx race system is very similar. This shock is built specifically for you; for the bike, the rider weight and style, etc. That is what you are paying for. It's not for everyone, obviously, but to say it's not worth it is short sighted, IMO.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Listen I don't want to spend $957 on a PUSH'd DHX so stop trying to talk me into it!

;)

I just ordered a Roco from Go-Ride but sadly because they dont' have mounting hardware I have to wait a little while. Bah.

I'm sure Gracia, Peat, or some third rate Canadian lumberjack-looking semi-pro could blow me, and probably most people even with Avy shocks, away so I'll stick to <$400 shocks for now. Actually with that logic I should probably just stay on my Manipoo Metel but you gotta draw the ghetto line somewhere ya know? ;)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.