Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Chris Bling
2,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The new Roco and the 66

so here are the pictures that you all have been waiting for. i finally got some batteries for my camera, but forgot to take some pics of us riding! so i just improvised and took some in my kitchen. Plus, i got one of or bikes just before the ride.

so if you are wondering how the fork and shock feels, all i can say is WOW! The Roco seems like it gives the bike endless travel, and the 66 is amazingly plush for being brand new. i cant wait to get some more rides on it and break it in. The eta is well worth every penny i spent on the fork. it puts my coilair at the perfect angle to attack the hills and not have to worry about all the bob from a 7 inch fork. plus, the tst function on the Roco, when set to CL, hardly allows anymovemet out of the rear end, thus eliminating any pedal bob! the shock and the fork has pretty much made the bike a new machine and a lot more capable to tackle the cross country trails all the way to the long climbs and then hit the big drops on the way back down.

anyway, ill quit tooting my horn and let you guys just go out and get your own:D

dusty
Bicycle tire Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle part

still cant believe that i have 7 inches of travel up front!

Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim

it even has a nice little covering of trail dust

Bicycle accessory Red Automotive tire Tread Carmine

absolutely the best shock that i have ever ridden

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Window

there is nothing like $12,000 worth of bikes riding on your tail gate.
Aside from the crappy Jamis xlt with the junk Fox fork, we all roll with marzocchi. by buddy with the Big Hit just got the 888 RC2X on tuesday and is absolutely loving it!

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
I guess it isn't a CoilAIR anymore, huh? Haha.

I'd be careful with that rotor/caliper combo. The pads are sweeping over the arms of the rotors. Eventually this will lead to uneven pad wear, and potentially issues with stuttering, howling, etc.

·
Chris Bling
2,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yup

yeah, the brakes that came on the bike were the shimano saints and they already died. so i just threw some hayes on for now while i am waiting to get the other ones back.

a freeride bike was never meant to be air:D i dont know who they are trying to fool:)

dusty

·
HIKE!
1,657 Posts
Man, at this rate....

.... at this rate, you'll have a Turner RFX by spring! You must have caught UpGrade-itis from those Homers you ride with! Once the 07 RFX is available, you should have all new parts to put on it. Save the old stuff from the CoilAir and you can sell it complete.

Cool sled, and pretty danged versatile, eh? I've got an 05 SixPack (Horst) and an 07 CoilAir Supreme now, hard pressed to decide which rides better!

Great to see all that dirt and dust on there.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Looks awesome Dusty.

That piggyback looks really long. Any issues with it contacting the frame upon full compression?

I should have my Roco in by the end of the week. I wonder how well it will work for all mountain/trail riding with my Pike on my 05 Coiler. That 66 looks very lush.

I take it you like that setup better than the Fox setup that came on the bike. Could explain why and compare the Zoke stuff (especially the Roco vs. DHX) to the Fox stuff?

What type of terrain do you ride in?

Thanks!!!!

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
sparrow said:
.... at this rate, you'll have a Turner RFX by spring! You must have caught UpGrade-itis from those Homers you ride with! Once the 07 RFX is available, you should have all new parts to put on it. Save the old stuff from the CoilAir and you can sell it complete.

Cool sled, and pretty danged versatile, eh? I've got an 05 SixPack (Horst) and an 07 CoilAir Supreme now, hard pressed to decide which rides better!

Great to see all that dirt and dust on there.
can i ask why anybody in there right mind would sell a coiler just to buy a turner:madman:

why is the turner better,coz as far as i see its a less capable bike,and copied of the coiler.

or is it just because the turner has the built in the u,s,a tag.:thumbsup:

·
Chris Bling
2,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
zoke in, fox out

I take it you like that setup better than the Fox setup that came on the bike. Could explain why and compare the Zoke stuff (especially the Roco vs. DHX) to the Fox stuff? What type of terrain do you ride in? Thanks!!!![/QUOTE said:
no problem with the piggy back under full compression, thank heavens

as far as the terrain around here.....what do you want to ride? there everything from nice tame trails to nasty downhills that Josh Bender build. We have rocks and drop and hills and super techy climbs and desents, etc. in short, every type of riding style is represented here in St. George. Heck, the red bull rampage spot it just about 35 to 40 minutes east of us!

as far as comparing fox to marzocchi, there is no comparison. i work at a LBS here in st. george and we have had an 80% failure rate on every fox that we have sold. whether on or off the bike, the fox just does not hold up. one guy has gone through 3 DHX's already on the same bike, and we have had to send his 36 talas into fox 3 times for warranty. We have a few few guys that race for us and ride fox 40's and they have to be overhauled after almost every race because something has gone funky inside. its just not worth the hassel that comes along with it.

guess how many marzocchis we have sent in for warranty? none. zip. zero.

you are comparing weight, there is no comparison, the fox is leaps and bounds lighter, but at what expense? If you have ever taken a marzocchi apart, you can see how simple their design is and why things rarely go wrong. i have had the privelage of changing the oil in multiple zoke forks and am amazed every time with how easy it really is. fox wont even let us crack open the fork to do rountine labor on it (aside from changing a spring or oil). for anything more, you have to send it back to fox and have them do it.

the dhx does not even come close to the roco. the pro pedal works to an extent, but nothing like the tst does on the roco. when you flip the valve over to the CL position, its almost at lock out. no matter how much you turn the propedal on the fox up, you will never get that firm of a ride. its awesome having that much versitility at your fingertips.

all in all, fox has really dropped the ball the past few years and have let their quality control go way down. they used to be the best, but now i think they are sliding further and further back down the totem pole.

hope that helped with the differeces a bit

dusty

·
7am Backcountry ;- )
821 Posts
Wow Fox are really big here in the UK and the Fox 32 and 36 is winning loads of awards and priase in the current mags!

I am quite tempted by the Fox DHX 5.0 for my rear shock it retails at about £300, what price is this Roco?

·
solid gold plated
878 Posts
erm ive seen places selling the roco tst-r for 240, need a spring and bushes for that so add another 40 quid for those too.

·
Chris Bling
2,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ha

capoz77 said:
Wow Fox are really big here in the UK and the Fox 32 and 36 is winning loads of awards and priase in the current mags!

I am quite tempted by the Fox DHX 5.0 for my rear shock it retails at about £300, what price is this Roco?
no doubt they are winning awards. when they work, they are super plush and feel great. its just the weeks and months after that the mags dont monitor. its not if they will blow up, but when.

dusty

·
Chris Bling
2,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
coiler all the way

konut said:
that bike is super cool,and do you get the name dusty from the trails where you are or is that your name.

as regards to the coiler would you consider buying an rfx or are you happy with the coiler
initially, i wanted to get an RFX. i work at a bike shop and was able to ride a lot of the costomers bikes and really narrow it down. I would of got the RFX, but didnt have quite that much money to spend. So that is why i got the coilair. its fairly close to the same frame design of the turner without the price. As far as being happy with the bike, i couldnt ask for more! The ride is incredible and super plush. If i had to do it all over agian, i would stick with the coilair. its beefier and more bottom out resistant than the turners, plus, you get a lot more bike for the money. Weight is not really that much of an issue. one guy at the shop has the rfx and is set up almost exactly like mine. his wieghs 39 pounds and mine weighs 40.5. and his wheelset weighs 3 pounds less than mine too. its a sick bike that gets compliments every day:D i love it

dusty

ps thats my name, and my middle name is duke

·
Chris Bling
2,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
clearance

konut said:
whats the tyre clearence like in the forks and rear if you dont mind as im ordering some within the next week
you have about a half inch of clearance on the front fork. its the best tire that i have ever ridden, hands down. you will love it

dusty

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.