Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little bit of advice (or opinion) needed.
I'm building a DH bike for my girlie, we're going for the Canfield Brothers Jedi. Chris offered me a Roco Air WC shock instead of an DHX (among others). Naturally, I wan't to build the bike as light as possible.
Now, since she's on the light side(around 50kg or 110 lbs) I was wondering if air is the way to go?
On her previous bike (Meta 5.5) she rode an RP23 which was hard to tune, since using low pressure to get the correct sag and small bump sensitivity totally screwed the rebound (rebound was very slow).
Roco Air shaves about a pound of weight from it's coil cousin, but my main concern is the small bump sensitivity or initial stiction caused by the air pressure (I think 88 psi is the minimum Marzocchi recommends, and it's for a 66kg person).
Bullcrew here says we go for it, I respect his opinion, but I wan't to hear more. :D
Ti spring for a coil unfortunately isn't an option...yet.
All opinions, experiences and advices are more than welcome. Thanks!

·
Committed
1,775 Posts
The Roco WC air is the smoothest, plushest air shock I have run. It feels way more coil-like than any of Fox's offerings. I would highly recommend it for your application, I think you will be amazed at how nice the shock rides.
The only factor I can think of is the air shock's natural tendency to be more progressive than a coil. On my DHR (a bike with a strong rising rate to begin with) I don't get the last 1/2" +/- of travel with the Roco WC air.
You might just want to call Marzocchi up front and ask them what their thoughts are on the rider weight question. If the lowest air pressure setting does not work for her, you can talk to Ronnie in tech. He will usually tune shocks to your needs.
Overall the Roco is in a class of it’s own compared to the other air shocks on the market.

·
dontcha?
1,433 Posts
1soulrider said:
The Roco WC air is the smoothest, plushest air shock I have run. It feels way more coil-like than any of Fox's offerings. I would highly recommend it for your application, I think you will be amazed at how nice the shock rides.
Totally agree, my mini-dh came w/the dhx air.. the roco wc feels a lot better and more like a coil then any other air shock I've ridden(mostly xc air-shocks)

1soulrider said:
The only factor I can think of is the air shock's natural tendency to be more progressive than a coil. On my DHR (a bike with a strong rising rate to begin with) I don't get the last 1/2" +/- of travel with the Roco WC air.
Yeap, Same w/me I also can't bottom the shock out, as the linkage is very similar to your DHR on my commencal.. On the other hand w/the dhx-air I was bottoming it out very easily..

I'm still tuning my roco-air wc, but I find that I'm running a lot less pressure than recommended to get the feel I want(I'm 220lbs).. so I would def. give marzocchi a call..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.