Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so where is the terrain that is filled with rock and is really slow and technical. ive found a little in mission trails but i guess bikes arent allowed there so that is out of the question. I love that type of stuff but I just cant seem to find much. any help would be great all

paul

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
45,851 Posts
pablo4429 said:
so where is the terrain that is filled with rock and is really slow and technical. ive found a little in mission trails but i guess bikes arent allowed there so that is out of the question. I love that type of stuff but I just cant seem to find much. any help would be great all

paul
Edit, sorry top secret stuff.

·
I <3 Dirt
724 Posts
MTRP does have a little of what you're looking for - North Fortuna has a short techy section and the Cowles Mtn. singletrack which drops into Santee has some techy stuff. I don't know anything about the other techy trails that are off limits to bikes though ;)

Check out Iron Mtn. It's got some real fun chunky sections. Ellie Lane too and of course sections of Noble have some rocks...

·
Registered
2021 Stumpy Evo S3 SWorks
207 Posts
Iron Mountain

Most definitely, without a doubt, Iron Mountain/Ellie Lane for technical rock chunk. Efficient up/down riding. It is located out near Poway.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Nobel Canyon Has Some Good Rocky Sections.shuttle It From Pine Valley To Laguna.its About A 12 Mile Ride.there Are Two Good Rock Garden Areas About 50 To 75 Yards Long!!!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Try riding Elfin Forest in North County, the initial climb "The Way Up" has some good terrian, also the loops up there provide some additional challenges. It is all rideable but requires some body english. You may also want to ride up to the top of Bernardo Mountain which is the section off of the back of North Lake Hodges. The climb is a lung buster with some small technical sections and lots of climbing. The trail is in much better shape then it was after the fires. The ride down is worth the effort up.

·
I <3 Dirt
724 Posts
Terminator Z said:
Mt. Woodson is pretty tech too.
Woodson is a fun trail with some tight switchbacks and some rocks.

Advice to Pablo on Iron Mtn: This could be the busiest trail in SD county behind Cowles Mtn. If you go weekends I'd recommend early AM or late PM although with the heat it may be busy during those times as well.

The hikers have always been really cool as they are just surprised we actually ride such a rocky trail.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
mealsonwheels said:
Woodson is a fun trail with some tight switchbacks and some rocks.

Advice to Pablo on Iron Mtn: This could be the busiest trail in SD county behind Cowles Mtn. If you go weekends I'd recommend early AM or late PM although with the heat it may be busy during those times as well.

The hikers have always been really cool as they are just surprised we actually ride such a rocky trail.
i used to ride woodsan all the time. its still pretty fun, but a far cry from its old self after the fires. the high speed doubletrack that used to have water bars to luanch off are all gone, now just a loose fireroad. the woodsan singletrack part is still there, a tad worse than before.

from the thousands of posts about noble, maybe that has massive rock gardens??:) it sounds super KNARLY!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Rock/technical in SD (but not TOO tough)

Just came back from a visit to SD and did most of the trails discussed here. My favorites for moderate-to-tough rocky/technical (best last).

5. Anderson Truck Trail - this is really just a long, long climb but erosion has turned parts of what used to be a fire road into a challenging single track in spots. Extremely fun to descend - some super fast, some tricky (at my intermediate skill level). Drop dead views along the way. Racer-boy/BMX types have set up some truly loony jumps (see photo).

4. Sycamore Canyon - found some really fun disneyesque trails in the canyon itself. There must be several parallel trails and I didn't ride them all. Your never really know where you are but you can't get lost. Cool! Great cobble rock gardens where you can conquer your fear of rolly/loose stone!

3. Noble Canyon - some of this was just too tough for me but I was able to do a lot of it. The big draw is up top it feels like the big mountains (it is over 5,000 ft.) so it makes you feel like you're tackling something really impressive. Also worth it to watch REALLY good bikers master scary stuff; it's inspiring!

2. Mission Trails - Yeah, you do have to ride some mostly flat fire roads to get there but North Fortuna was VERY challenging in places: it got me off the bike in many spots! If you want a REALLY steep hill try the fire road up between the Fortunas from the Santee side. The last two hundred yards will kick your A**. The "Wash" trail down in the valley (can't remember name exactly) is super fun. I started in Terrra Santa 2 days and at the Visitors' Center once. I'm such a Dork I stood at the river crossing for five minutes before I spotted the concrete dam across behind the trees. Duh.

1. Cowles Mountain - This terrain is exactly at my skill/fitness level. I can do the whole thing (with some second tries in spots) almost clean, but it is very difficult for me. If I had my legs from 25 years ago I'd clean it easily. The downhill is just exhilarating. I can do just about all of it but some sections scare the p*** out of me - age makes cowards of us all. You will get over your fear of 1-to-2 foot drops (there's a water bar every 100 feet!) or go home crying. Just keep your weight BACK! My favorite trail in SD so far. See photos (These are typical, not toughest sections).

How did I find all this stuff as a tourist? Easy:

http://www.mountainbikebill.com

This guy knows ALL, tells all about San Diego trails. You will not believe how helpful this site is. Go to it!

Attachments

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,010 Posts
ttcherrick said:
1. Cowles Mountain - This terrain is exactly at my skill/fitness level. I can do the whole thing (with some second tries in spots) almost clean, but it is very difficult for me. If I had my legs from 25 years ago I'd clean it easily. The downhill is just exhilarating. I can do just about all of it but some sections scare the p*** out of me - age makes cowards of us all. You will get over your fear of 1-to-2 foot drops (there's a water bar every 100 feet!) or go home crying. Just keep your weight BACK! My favorite trail in SD so far. See photos (These are typical, not toughest sections).

it!
Cowles looks like a lot of fun

·
Registered
2 Posts
I enjoy hiking up the front of cowles mtn but I have never really seen the other trails. The trail on the front side looks awesome to ride down but there are too many people walking there. What is the best trail on cowles mtn?

Cheers

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.