Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm riding a 16.5" Slayer. 70mm stem, slight setback post and lo-risers (maybe 3/4"). I am 5'6" with 32" inseam. Here's the deal: My seat is quite a bit higher than my bars, as I have long legs, but according to lbs I am on correct frame size. I put the 70mm stem on to prevent endo's, which i had a few when I first bought the bike and had a 100mm stem on it, probably rider error more than anything. One thing I've noticed with other people's set-ups though is that ttheir seats seem quite a bit lower than mine which tells me i probably have longer legs than most (being female this is probably true). I have recently bought a SC chameleon size medium (17") that seems to fit me better, but the bottom bracket is quite a bit lower on it, giving me plenty of standover, more than I have on my Rocky. It also has a longer top tube by about an inch than my rocky. I am wondering if I am on the correct frame size (rocky) and what I can do to help my set-up...steering feels a bit twitchy, climbing is a bit sketchy. any input greatly appreciated. thanks.

·
Group Hug Participant
1,112 Posts
Hey fishercat,
I'm on the same size slayer as well, and only about 2" taller, same inseem. I've stuck with my original stem and seat post. I'd say you're on the right size frame.

To start with, you may want to take notice, in comparing seat height with others, is the style of bike and riding they're doing. Are they more into freeriding or xc? The latter will have a higher seat and vice versa. Lower seat for aggressive riding, ie, hucking, downhill, wheelies, etc. etc. I'd say, when looking at my bike, my seat's pretty much level most of the time, with my bars.

I'm constantly changing my seat height depending on whether I'm climbing or descending. I love how this bike climbs (especially with the ETA). Everything feels solid and compact (in regards to the cockpit of the bike). One thing I'm currently experimenting with is positioning my handle bar. I tilted in forward about 1/4" to move out over the fork a little bit and didn't care for the feel while descending or hucking in general. While climbing seemed better, it made it harder to pull up on the bike. I moved it back (rotated) toward me last night and will see how it feels tonight.

I'm not too keen on proper positioning. For me, it's what's comfortable while getting my groove on. :D Oh yeah, shorter stem (in case you didn't know ;) ) will make the steering feel "more responsive." Also, it'll move your weight towards the rear. This may explain your climbing experience. Maybe try and re-position yourself more towards the center of the bike?

I'd also check with some of the other forums for better info. You'll probably get a better response.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks. what size stem are you running?? I like the 70mm for decending, but am thinking about going with 90mm and a riser bar, maybe 1.5" or so to bring bars up to my saddle height

·
customized
3,123 Posts
fishercat - How wide are your bars? An inch wider bar would remove some of the twitch and give you more leverage on the front end.

Can you describe what you mean by climbing is sketchy?

Louis

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
wider bars, eh?? hadnt thought of that one. may try it out. re climbing, i really need to get out of the saddle on the steeps and therefore lose traction on the rear. i'm thinking a little more forward and up may help a bit.

·
customized
3,123 Posts
The problem is that your front end is so high up that it gets away from you on climbs. Not that I am a great climber, but on my Saber which is a tad big for me with a Z1FR I just lean way down and as foward as I can. If I must then I sit on the nose of my seat to climb. Not always comfy, but it gets me up the hill.

You are on a Fox fork now right? The Fox forks are lower than the Marzocchi stuff which would help a situation like yours.

One thing that will mess with your climbing more is higher riser bars and/or more angle in your stem. A longer stem would help a little. I would experiment with the 90mm. Try not to add any rise at the end of the stem compared to your current one. What is the angle on your stem and how high are your risers now?

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
my saddle is quite a bit higher than my bars actually. 70mm stem 3/4" (i think) rise on the bars..they're the easton monkdy lite lo rise xc bars. pretty sure no angle on the stem. if any, it's 5 degrees.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.