Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a few pics of my buddy's 2000 Spice, as it was handed to me to overhaul for him. this bike was used as it was intended to be used, not hung up in a basement for viewing pleasures. The original paint scheme was okay but being that my riding pals are all RM enthusiasts he's decided to go with the '99 Element's Chrome Green paint and black fork. So here's some pics and I'll post more as it progesses.

I've done quite few of these before but for anyone doing the same thing, here's a simple tip. Do it right the first time even if it takes elbow grease; and if you can't find an answer out and have a problem, post it here. I just joined and can't believe the conversations in here. There are obviously a ton a people around with a wealth of knowledge and good input.

Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Another tip (I hate to sound like I know everything but I'm passing on things I've learned through my own mistakes............and there has been many)

If you have access to a sandblaster, go that route, it's easier to prime a frame than spend countless hours sanding chips and dings and ending up with virtually bare frame anyway.

Secondly, go to your LBS and grab scrap head set cups, bottom bracket cups and use your old teflon bushing inserts to loosley place in the respective holes. After paint, use a NEW razor blade and cut the paint at the point of contact with the cups and remove them then sand down the edge. This prevents threads from being painted and bushing openings from being filled with paint. If you chose to let the paint in and sand them out after, it's a big job. Quicker to sand the small razor cut and allow the new cups to cover them over. Also, if you try to thread your BB into the shell with paint in it, the paint will crack due to the force and excess paint with no where to go. (and put some bottle cage bolts in place to protect those threads as well)

Again, I've done these both ways and made many notes so I that I do it right from now on. Nothing worse than wasting a whole paint job for a simple matter of prep work.

Also, here's the '99 chrome green element we're going to match.

Attachments

·
Registered
524 Posts
I'm generally not a big fan of green, but I agree. That bike is gonna look absolutely sick, I bet when finished. That's definitely one of the nicer green paints that I've seen. Like Dan said, post some pics of the bike when you're done. Good luck

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Paint is being done by a freind of mine. He's an automotive painter and has done some wild custom stuff, says he can match this color and painting style no problem. Says he's adding a flex additive as well so it it's less likely to chip unless dumped on a rock.

As for the decals; they are factory for the downtube, the "made in Canada" as well as the steer tube. I bought Easton factory stickers from eBay for dirt cheap. The Rocky ones are brand new from a Rocky Rep at the Toronto Bike Show so the maple leaf thing around the Rocky and the Spice are no longer going to be there. I never really liked that particular maple leaf style so I think this will look better when it's done. (I'll be sure to add the Canada flag on the top tube like the original) As for the rest of the stickers, like "Spice"; my other buddy does custom decals so he's done the rest for me. All the stickers are paper thin (not the thick vinyl type) so I'll apply them and clearcoat over top.

It's too bad we have to work for a living. It really interferes with all the fun stuff. I wish I knew about this forum before, I've done a few bikes now and would have liked the input from everyone.

I'm sure there will be more Rocky's for me to do.

Bagpipes

·
Registered
15 Posts
thanks for the info bagpipes!

Was interested as I have a 2000 Vertex Sc which is white with very similar decals. Frame is in great shape expcept for these too.

Always useful if you have a mate in the know to help you paint :)
I too was unsure on the maple leaf of this era, but thought maybe keep it original if poss.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Went to pick up the painted frame today only to find out the for was painted green in error and the main triangle was missing paint around one of the cable guides. But the bigger issue was that the colour was off a few shades. I wasn't overly excited about the look since it wasn't what I expected but once it made it out into the natural light............WOW!

My buddy who owns it gave me the thumbs up too ............. what do you guys think? One pic is without a flash, one with to give you an idea of how it looks in the sun. The added gold pearl was a nice touch I think.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry, helps when you add the pics.................let me know, positive or otherwise, always nice to have honest info.

Attachments

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nope no bend, I lined it up with a lazer level and she's straight as a taught shifter cable. This Spice on the other hand...................pulls a bit to the right.

Any input on the paint? I'll load more pics with the decals once the clear coat has been sprayed over top.

Attachments

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just going through some old threads and realized I never responded to this one with the finished bike ............... here it is however it has many kms on it since the rebuild.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.