Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Very Nice, love the Cove bikes and the rocky,s are sweet nice touch with the crank colours and Vern dog frame decal is very cool! I think on this thread we should be asking What is VernDogs Hieght for $200. That seatpost is clearly built for giants. CHEERS TONY

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
re: Max seatpost height..

Being 6 feet with a 34 inch inseam, sorta give gives me long legs, All the frames are 19.5 to 20" seat tube lenght, with a 23 + top tube, also the stem is a low 5 degree x 130mm lenght, set up for fast xc riding.

Another reason why I decided on a 29R bike last summer.
A friend of mine rides an older Trek 820 bike which has a 24" seat tube along with about 7" of seatpost showing, At the time, it was the only bike he could fit on, everything else was just way to tiny..

VernDog

·
Registered
788 Posts
Y'all got nothing!

Picked this frame/fork/post up off the classifieds a year ago for a song and dance. It wasn't even a dance, really, I was just kinda standing there nodding my head. How could you all have slept on this one?

I have definitely put a few more paint chips on it since I picked it up, but it has been worth it. At a decade old the bike is still magical.

Andrew

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
red/yellow rocky

I'm guessing the year of your bike to be 1995~1997, as I remember seeing quite a few of these on the xc o cup race scene, very nice bike, remember the hub spec was dt swiss, very loud hubs.

There was one of these on ebay about 6 weeks ago, was considering it but I think it was a 22" frame, just a little to big for me.

Vern

·
Registered
788 Posts
1997 is the correct year. If you were racing Ocup back then maybe you remember Ryan Dey destroying junior ex on one of them for the first few races, then switched to a Vertex after that. I remember someone telling me he got hit by a car or something. (Coincidentally, one of those Vertecies is up for grabs on the CC classifieds right now)

I saw an 18.5" Altitude (not the T.O., green/gold and no maple leaf fade) go for two and change on ebay the other day. I do not think I could bear to part with this frame though. I have many of the original parts that I am slowly trying to amass (cranks, red RF headset, Syncros ti post, XTR v's.....) so it will be a fun long term project.

This was a time period where it seems Rocky could do no wrong.......their bikes had great parts at wickedly competitive prices and as far as looks go they destroyed every other brand. I still have some of their catalogs from that era and they are filled with serious eye candy.

Rocky still makes some very nice and nice looking bikes but their pricing and branding are not what they once were.

Andrew

P.S. Remember the first RM6? Yeah, I also try not to.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
How many friggin' Andrews do we have in here?!?!??!?!?!???! :eekster:

Anyways, Vern, looks like they came out alright. :cool: Glad I could help. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
re: RM6

I remember that bike, I had a used one Irode/slugged around for a while, playing around with the northshore/freeride alittle bit, rode it than sold it, buddy broke it "literally".

I agree with you on the rocky's form the early days up until procycle which now owns the name, Not what they used to be, granted they are still making some good stuff, just not there like it was 5 years ago.

The thin air is the last rocky I have owned, It was a very fast and light xc machine, Last o cup (provincials 2001 at Mansfield) I bent the frame up really good, which was the end of that frame.

I have 1998 vertix to, which is mostly all original, need to find some spd 747 pedals and sun zero degree lite rims. will post a pic, soon as I figure how to "crop/downsize" the pics

VernDog

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.