Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone use Rocky Mounts? The Noose? I am looking for a new roof rack, heard they were pretty good at a reasonable price. Mounting to the factory rack on a 2002 Grand Cherokee......

·
Am I getting too bulky?
800 Posts
I have a set of the older Lariat trays, the ones with the plastic heads, and they work just fine. They certainly saved me money over what I would have spent on Thule or Yakima trays. Never owned Yakima, but if you're used to Thule trays, the Rocky trays take a little more finesse to use. For one, the skewers are not self centering, so when you go to put the bike up on the roof, you'll need be strong/tall enough to center the skewer with one hand, while mounting/installing the fork ends on the skewer with the other. Not really a big deal, but it does take a bit of finesse. The other consideration is if you're gonna be mounting different bikes on the same tray, adjusting the clamping width of the skewer in not a one handed operation, it takes two hands just like when you adjust the skewer on your bike, and you need to do this while the bike is balanced in the tray so you can get the clamping right. So the only consideration are a couple ease of use issues, but they do work great. One more consideration is that the mounting bolts are not enclosed in the head, so even if the skewer is locked, if somebody has the time they could take the whole tray off the top of the vehicle with the bike still on it. Not sure that's a real concern, because it wouldn't be all that much work to cut a rook rack off a vehicle anyway. Bottom line, If money is not an issue I personally would buy the Thule trays, but if money is a consideration, then there's no real reason not to buy the Rocky Mounts. They do what they're supposed to, plus they come in colors which is cool too.

·
Linoleum Knife
3,323 Posts
xdefx said:
Anyone use Rocky Mounts? The Noose? I am looking for a new roof rack, heard they were pretty good at a reasonable price. Mounting to the factory rack on a 2002 Grand Cherokee......
Yup - I've got the noose (x2)

Like the other poster said - the skewers take a little finesse. If you are running disc brakes you DO need the disc brake adaptor.

I got them after going through a couple sets of Thule trays. They are of much sturdier construction than the Thules.

·
Fermented Grain Sampler
clinking clanking clattering collection of collagenous junk
4,164 Posts
Echo what other posters said.
Just bought some from http://www.bikesmart.com/index.cfm?menu=browse&cid=CAR for $65.
I found that Avid brakes on a Reba SL do fit the normal mount, no need for the disc adapter. My other bike's Fox doesn't fit. Contemplating being cheap and "dremelling" a groove in the tray or springing for the adapter. Jensen has 'em for about $10

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks.....

Bikehigh said:
I have a set of the older Lariat trays, the ones with the plastic heads, and they work just fine. They certainly saved me money over what I would have spent on Thule or Yakima trays. Never owned Yakima, but if you're used to Thule trays, the Rocky trays take a little more finesse to use. For one, the skewers are not self centering, so when you go to put the bike up on the roof, you'll need be strong/tall enough to center the skewer with one hand, while mounting/installing the fork ends on the skewer with the other. Not really a big deal, but it does take a bit of finesse. The other consideration is if you're gonna be mounting different bikes on the same tray, adjusting the clamping width of the skewer in not a one handed operation, it takes two hands just like when you adjust the skewer on your bike, and you need to do this while the bike is balanced in the tray so you can get the clamping right. So the only consideration are a couple ease of use issues, but they do work great. One more consideration is that the mounting bolts are not enclosed in the head, so even if the skewer is locked, if somebody has the time they could take the whole tray off the top of the vehicle with the bike still on it. Not sure that's a real concern, because it wouldn't be all that much work to cut a rook rack off a vehicle anyway. Bottom line, If money is not an issue I personally would buy the Thule trays, but if money is a consideration, then there's no real reason not to buy the Rocky Mounts. They do what they're supposed to, plus they come in colors which is cool too.
Getting my 37 pounder up there and settled in will be fun !! Both of my bikes have 20mm axles, so with the adapter, I am sure the caliper will clear the tray. I just got this vehicle, I used a hitch mount on my old truck, I might end up getting a hitch put on it, (that's going to be a couple hundred) and just using my old yakima hitch mount. But then I can't get the back hatch open since I have a cheap rack that doesn't unlatch and lay down....Decisions, decisions......

1 - 5 of 5 Posts