Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Fermented Grain Sampler
clinking clanking clattering collection of collagenous junk
4,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone done this? If so, how'd it go? Stable on the freeway, corners, secure etc?
My old roof rack died over the summer and now that its getting muddy around here the "throw the bike in back" bit is getting kinda sloppy.

There's a good sale going on near me for $65 per bike set up. That's a lot cheaper than getting a complete Yakima or Thule system.

·
Large wheels & one gear
720 Posts
I had a Rocky Mount on my Explorer last year. Two things......First, the tray is big and accomadates larger tires well although my bike would move from side to side a bit. I didn't like that.
Second, the quick release would hit my fork (shock). I would have to position it just right and still kinda have to force it shut. It might be possible to change the skewer out. I havn't looked at it.
Put it this way, I never lost my bike on the freeway or taking cornors. Just didn't like how it swayed a bit. I like my bikes locked down tight.
So, that is my input on it. Hope it helps. Over all I don't think it is tooo bad of a rack. It is a cheaper alternative to the other two (yakima/thule).

·
Fermented Grain Sampler
clinking clanking clattering collection of collagenous junk
4,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input. The swaying bit would be annoying. Did you use the adapter part for disc?

·
Large wheels & one gear
720 Posts
I don't remember there being any adapter. I believe it was already designed for disc...but I could be wrong. The fork fit without any problem onto the skewer. It was just clamping it that was a pain. One thought......different forks may work better or worse with that.

·
Registered
18,552 Posts
I have 2003 Rocky Mounts on a 1997 Outback factory rails and it's okay. I'm not hugely in love with the QR clamping mechanism but it works. Avid mechs clear the tray, but I had to use a hacksaw to modify the tray to clear Shimano discs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.