Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Marin Headlands 2, Santa Cruz Stigmata, Marin DSX2
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
what do you think about it? Is the RM a good bike/frame.
Does anybody have one and how do you like it?
I'd like to see pictures of your Vertex 29 and spec.
Are RM 29 as good as other big name like Giant,Niner....?
thanks

·
Registered
35 Posts
I purchased a 2010 vertex 29er in September and I very much enjoy mine! the 20.5" frame as built by RM weighed in at around 29 pounds with beefy platforms pedals.

I would have purchased the SE if I could have afforded it, but I'm very happy with the build up from Rocky. I've made a few changes for fit and comfort (setback seat post, grips, handlebar, XT pedals) and swapped my tires out for winter mud (came with nanoraptors, put on some conti mountain kings).

I don't know how it compares with Giant or Niner...

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you,
and what do you think as far as frame quality? How is the paint job,welding....
I'm just trying to make my final decision before getting a RM frame in few months when 2012 stuff will be out.
Why did you go with RM?
thanks
ciao

·
Registered
35 Posts
I may not be the best to comment, considering that before my RM I hadn't purchased a new mountain bike since the early 90's.

I can say this: technology, frame geometry and equipment are vastly superior when compared with my last mountain bike!

I find the frame to be very stiff and snappy. The finish is a nice flat black (matte) and the welds look solid. I've put about 500 miles on my bicycle since I purchased it in the fall and I've had no problems. I'm riding some fairly rooty, rocky terrain and I don't leave much on the mountain when I ride. It climbs easily and the wide flat bars contribute to its quick responsiveness.

How did I choose RM? Well, I was looking for a quality entry-level build that would be worth upgrading if I desired. I thought about single speed and was considering a niner or surly, but as a did more research I decided I wanted a geared up ride. I looked closely at Kona, Specialized, and even the Performance Bikes line. I started looking at RM because their frames are handmade here in North America and I heard some buzz about their foray into 29er geometry. I was really attracted to the North American product and ended up purchasing the vertex after I saw good deal on a 2010 model. I bought it before I had a chance to ride it... but I was given a 30-day trial period to return it. After my first 5 miles of single-track I knew I'd be keeping it. It just feels good to me.

I'm 6'2", 195 pounds and I bought the 20.5" frame.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I moved from a 1998 RM Element to a 2010 Vertex 29 SE and wouldn't take it back for a second.

The only issue I had was chain suck/skipping issues in the granny chainring. The ring turned out to be pretty soft aluminum and I had worn it out after just a few rides. I can be a pretty aggressive granny-gear climber. I replaced it with a steel granny ring and it is now smooth sailing!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thank guys for your reviews .
I know , it sounds crazy but the Vertex 29 frames are all gone!! I talked to RM product manager and he told me that they are out. This is why I said 2012 RM frame.
Like you guys said I really like the north America style from RM and I think their bikes are top quality.
Pictures please!!
thank you

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.