Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

941 - 958 of 958 Posts

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Probs worth more than bike just those upgrades
If you look up the page you will see i have 2 Slayers.....

Also i'll have these slayers for a few years. So you wont be upgrading any time soon. Plus... who cares. Logical sense doesn't play a factor when doing emotional bike fruit purchasing.

·
Registered
111 Posts
The Spirit Guide that came on the 17-19 Slayer and I'm sure other RM bikes... Any idea what it is when needed to replace? Cheers

·
Registered
24 Posts
If you look up the page you will see i have 2 Slayers.....

Also i'll have these slayers for a few years. So you wont be upgrading any time soon. Plus... who cares. Logical sense doesn't play a factor when doing emotional bike fruit purchasing.
Totally agree, Plummet! I have 1.5 slayers and won't be upgrading any time soon. When the time comes, don't think I will go to the new slayer either... too big... too plush... but the new altitude intrigues me. Need to give it a ride to see if it can handle my everyday riding here on the east coast.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I picked up an XL S29 A50 last June and it is easily the best bike I've owned. Coming from a Canfield Riot (LOVED the riot), but also being 6'4, I finally get what people mean when they talk about being "in" or "part of" the bike, rather than just sitting on top of it. It's such a confidence inspiring bike, but also surprising how well it pedals. I've never weighed it (XL, aluminum, 29" wheeled bike...ha ha), but I was PRing climbs (and descents) all season last year.

I'm a big dude(pushing 300lb kitted up) and am running a 650lb spring, but will be ordering a heavier, custom coil before this coming season. Also picking up a ZEB Ultimate (and will immediately swap the decals with Totem decals). Also moving to a 223mm rotor in the front.

I should probably upgrade wheels as well (those stock wheels are garbage and I'm tightening spokes almost every ride), but not quite yet.

Absolutely love this thing and can't wait for spring!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Hey all..... perhaps stupid question - but i can't find it anywhere.

For the 2017-19 Slayers - what's the chainline measurement? Is it 52mm? Might need to replace the Aeffect cranks that came on the bike and with all the bloody standards of offset chainrings, 3mm vs 6mm vs whether the crank does it, driving me nuts.

Cheers

·
Cleavage Of The Tetons
6,026 Posts
Do you know if it is boost or not?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Usually boost vs. non-boost cranksets are defined by the offset of the chainring. A non-boost chainring has 6 mm offset, a boost chainring 3 mm. The axle and crank and all that should be the same.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Usually boost vs. non-boost cranksets are defined by the offset of the chainring. A non-boost chainring has 6 mm offset, a boost chainring 3 mm. The axle and crank and all that should be the same.
I think it's easier to go by chain line. All +/- 1mm, but 49mm for 142mm rear (Non-boost) and 52mm for 148mm rear (boost). It will say this on the box/you can look up the serial numbers. There's also a growing number of 55mm chain line cranksets for super boost rear, but across all of them Q factor (spindle length) will remain the same for acoustic non-fat bikes, 172mm +/- 2mm. Thankfully it's an industry standard which is actually a standard.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey all..... perhaps stupid question - but i can't find it anywhere.

For the 2017-19 Slayers - what's the chainline measurement? Is it 52mm? Might need to replace the Aeffect cranks that came on the bike and with all the bloody standards of offset chainrings, 3mm vs 6mm vs whether the crank does it, driving me nuts.

Cheers
I'm running 52mm chain line with 172mm Q factor cranks on my Slayer with no issues. Take all the spacers off the BB shell and it fits.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I think it's easier to go by chain line. All +/- 1mm, but 49mm for 142mm rear (Non-boost) and 52mm for 148mm rear (boost). It will say this on the box/you can look up the serial numbers. There's also a growing number of 55mm chain line cranksets for super boost rear, but across all of them Q factor (spindle length) will remain the same for acoustic non-fat bikes, 172mm +/- 2mm. Thankfully it's an industry standard which is actually a standard.
I looked at the Rocky Mountain Website and couldn´t find official information on chain line and which spacer to use.
I am running a SRAM PS92 bottom bracket with a 2 mm spacer on rthe right side. But the chainring runs a bit too far on the right side when you look down the spirit guide.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I looked at the Rocky Mountain Website and couldn´t find official information on chain line and which spacer to use.
I am running a SRAM PS92 bottom bracket with a 2 mm spacer on rthe right side. But the chainring runs a bit too far on the right side when you look down the spirit guide.
Sounds like if you remove the 2mm spacer you'll be good to go. The spirit guide should also have a little adjustability too.

·
Registered
19 Posts
It´s all the way to the right. SRAM says the spacer has to be put onto the right hand side. I am a little hesistant to take it off.

941 - 958 of 958 Posts