Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

921 - 940 of 949 Posts

·
Registered
856 Posts
right, coil only, you can't order just a frame without a shock. it does seem a bit odd that all their pro team riders are running air, i agree. however, they designed it around a coil shock and i'm embracing it, i'm stoked to have one on order and i'm stoked to get away from air shocks and their maintenance and performance limitations relative to coil. i've got a Sprindex coil on order and i reckon that will allow me to customize the spring rate based on changing rider weight, trail type and mood. when i get it i'll post photos here.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Alright, I pulled the trigger on an XL frame! Doing a full Killer custom build on it so I'm pretty excited about it. I used to race DH but I was riding a 140 mm bike since 2 years when I got into enduro. Definatly excited to get back on a bigger travel bike.

Going with the new 38, full XO and Code RSC and WeAreOne wheelset.

·
Registered
856 Posts
that's a few XL riders in here, cool. that's going to be a totally unique bike if you're going full custom with the 38. stoked for you, pictures a must when complete.

anyone here using their ride 4 settings for different trails?

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Well, I still have 2 x 2017-2018 Slayers. So i wont be upgrading to the new slayer anytime soon.... Well actually i'll be honest. I will never upgrade to this new slayer design.

Being a carbon slut I am super offended at any bike manufacturer than doesnt go full carbon for the frame. 2017-2019 slayer was full carbon,,,,,

Now they have put a alloy chain stay in it. If I wanted alloy i would buy an alloy frame!!!!!..... Putting an alloy chanstay on is stupid if you ask me. That is the most broke part of any 4 bar design. It needs to be as strong as possible. Carbon is stronger than alloy. But it costs more. So the alloy chain stay is all about saving money not increasing strength.

That aside new Slayer looks to have stepped up into more freeride/park basher than all day pedaller with excellent dh capabilities. They have focused on descending at the sacrifice of pedallability.

That is the second deal breaker for me. I want light weight pedallability as well as dh charging. Its no longer the do it all bike he previous model was.

That said i do endorse a coil spring. I've coiled my one of my slayers with a push and it is oh for awesome!...... Awesome indeed.

viber_image_2020-02-05_05-41-54.jpg

·
Registered
19 Posts
Why do you have twice the same bike? IMO, I prefer to compromise the uphill for a better downhill. This bike is supposed to be a DH shredder. There is ton of options for uphill/downhill compromise like Altitude, Ripmo, Evil Offering, Norco Optic, etc...

However, I do wish the chainstay was carbon instead of alloy.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Why do you have twice the same bike? IMO, I prefer to compromise the uphill for a better downhill. This bike is supposed to be a DH shredder. There is ton of options for uphill/downhill compromise like Altitude, Ripmo, Evil Offering, Norco Optic, etc...

However, I do wish the chainstay was carbon instead of alloy.
Because I broke the yellow one, bought another replacement, then I also fixed the old one ending up with 2 bikes. I was going to sell 1 but then got sucked into the decadence of 2 biked. Also even in my pedal fest rides I still want to hit the black lines, the pedal built slayer pedals as well as a 5" bike so why not just have indulgent travel on my pedal weapon?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Well, I still have 2 x 2017-2018 Slayers. So i wont be upgrading to the new slayer anytime soon.... Well actually i'll be honest. I will never upgrade to this new slayer design.

Being a carbon slut I am super offended at any bike manufacturer than doesnt go full carbon for the frame. 2017-2019 slayer was full carbon,,,,,

Now they have put a alloy chain stay in it. If I wanted alloy i would buy an alloy frame!!!!!..... Putting an alloy chanstay on is stupid if you ask me. That is the most broke part of any 4 bar design. It needs to be as strong as possible. Carbon is stronger than alloy. But it costs more. So the alloy chain stay is all about saving money not increasing strength.

That aside new Slayer looks to have stepped up into more freeride/park basher than all day pedaller with excellent dh capabilities. They have focused on descending at the sacrifice of pedallability.

That is the second deal breaker for me. I want light weight pedallability as well as dh charging. Its no longer the do it all bike he previous model was.

That said i do endorse a coil spring. I've coiled my one of my slayers with a push and it is oh for awesome!...... Awesome indeed.

Plummet - I couldn't agree with you more! I still have to give the 2020 slayer a ride, but I share the perception that its a DH rig that you push up hills. I LOVE my 2017! It pedals insanely well and its confidence inspiring through the tech and gnar. It allows me to keep up with my short travel XC strava whore buddies and with my DH bashing buddies. Especially on New England terrain.

But I get it, the trend out there is people want a bike that is exceptionally good at something and compromises elsewhere. While the 2017 Slayer some compromises everywhere. I've resorted to letting my physical fitness ice the cake, while the bike is a foundation. It's the Honda Ridgeline of MTB... better yet, the Subaru Baha... and I hope companies continue to make bikes like this (hint hint RMB!).

Tell me more about what you like about having the coil shock? I have been tempted to buy one myself to help reduce maintenance, but have you noticed big improvements on punchy climbs or gnarly descends?

That said, I still don't agree with your carbon statement... It's Force to Break vs. Energy to Break. Carbon might take more force, but less energy. Aluminum is more durable and I am sure that putting aluminum chainstays on was a compromise they had to make in order to maintain durability in a 4-bar design. Maybe not durable enough...#Pinkbike... sorry, too soon?!?!

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
My Covid project is done. Went through the entire bike replaced half & it's dialed and ready for the North Shore !!! Gimme some drops!

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
What spring rate (and your weight) you guys are using for the 2020 slayer?

I'm 210 lbs and I'm debating ordering a 475 or 500.

Thx for your input

·
Cleavage Of The Tetons
5,968 Posts
Might have to start a new thread, but does anyone know the e-e and stroke lengths for the new (‘20) Slayer, both 27.5 and 29”?
Is it somewhere on the Rocky site I am not seeing?
Interested in an X2 Air, seeing if it’s feasible.

·
Registered
108 Posts
For those on the 2017 Slayer and with the RS Super Deluxe RC3 did anyone do the MegNeg upgrade?

My understanding... which could be completely false... is that the 2017 Slayer is a relatively progressive curve meaning the MegNeg might not be worth it.

Thoughts?

Circa $300 for full rebuild and MegNeg installed vs not a lot more to go Marz Bomber CS and coil.

·
Registered
108 Posts
For those on the 2017 Slayer and with the RS Super Deluxe RC3 did anyone do the MegNeg upgrade?

My understanding... which could be completely false... is that the 2017 Slayer is a relatively progressive curve meaning the MegNeg might not be worth it.

Thoughts?

Circa $300 for full rebuild and MegNeg installed vs not a lot more to go Marz Bomber CS and coil.
No one with the MegNeg "upgrade" have any commentary?

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
No one with the MegNeg "upgrade" have any commentary?
I have no experience but megneg doesn't makes sense to me on our frames for the reasons you stated. We already have great beginning stroke sensitivity even with air, and excellent mid/end stroke support. To my understanding megneg is for people that want beginning stroke sensitivity without blowing through mid and end stroke. I've certainly owned bikes that would benefit from megneg. My 17 slayer isn't one of them.

·
Registered
108 Posts
That's what I've read.

What I don't understand is that the MegNeg is supposed to make the air shock more like coil. Lots of Slayers out there running coil.

So is the claim of Megneg being more like coil oonly for certain frames with linear suspension curves?

Personally I'm finding the stock 3 token config on the Slayers RS RC3 that came on the 50 version seems to "get stuck" in it's mid travel. I'm finding on rock gardens or heavy chatter that after the first few bumps I feel as though I'm out of suspension. Rebound any higher and it starts bucking me around.

I've always favoured coil but clearly a weight penalty and cost so just trying to explore options.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
That's what I've read.

What I don't understand is that the MegNeg is supposed to make the air shock more like coil. Lots of Slayers out there running coil.

So is the claim of Megneg being more like coil oonly for certain frames with linear suspension curves?

Personally I'm finding the stock 3 token config on the Slayers RS RC3 that came on the 50 version seems to "get stuck" in it's mid travel. I'm finding on rock gardens or heavy chatter that after the first few bumps I feel as though I'm out of suspension. Rebound any higher and it starts bucking me around.

I've always favoured coil but clearly a weight penalty and cost so just trying to explore options.
The coil like megneg thing is all about increasing breakaway beginning stroke with a large neg chamber. Neg chambers counter the positive air chamber(main air spring) allowing for lighter breakaway. When you have a huge neg chamber you need more air in the positive chamber or you'll sag too deep. The result of more air in the positive with a big neg chamber is sensitive breakaway for the beginning stroke (coil like) , but a big ramp up mid/end stroke because of the increase positive pressure.

If you feel that you're out of travel mid stroke that's just from the leverage ratio ramping things up. Megneg will make this worse. I often feel like I'm on a 150 bike until I ride really hard in choppy terrain, or drop the bike out of the air to a poor lander. That's just the nature of progressive leverage ratios with air shocks. A coil will give up travel a lot easier than air letting you dip into the end stroke in places air won't. I run a fully open positive chamber to combat ramp up. IMO, or frames don't need any positive chamber volume spacers. Between the natural ramp up of air, and our leverage ratios, shrinking the pos chamber isn't needed like some linear and regressive frames. If you have volume spacers installed try removing all of them. You might find you'll be happy with the super deluxe with an open pos chamber.

921 - 940 of 949 Posts