Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

901 - 920 of 949 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys!

After an unusual warranty issue with my Rocky Mountain Slayer, I have ended up with a spare XL front triangle in black. It's for 2017-2019. I'm hoping to either find someone who wants to buy it off me or has a rear triangle and rocker link they would like to sell so I can complete the frame! Let me know if you or a friend might be interested.

Thanks!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Hey all,

Probably pulling the trigger on a 2020 Slayer soon. A few questions....

Any idea why the Carbon 50 comes in a hair lighter than the Carbon 70? SLX on the 50 should be heavier than the XT build, so I can't figure it out...

Also, being that the bike is only 1/2 carbon, and $1000 difference from the alloy, wondering if just going Alloy makes sense. i've owned heavy bikes before so I know what to expect, anyone riding the 2020 Alloy? what do you think?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Any idea why the Carbon 50 comes in a hair lighter than the Carbon 70? SLX on the 50 should be heavier than the XT build, so I can't figure it out...

Also, being that the bike is only 1/2 carbon, and $1000 difference from the alloy, wondering if just going Alloy makes sense. i've owned heavy bikes before so I know what to expect, anyone riding the 2020 Alloy? what do you think?
I wouldn't give too much thought to the weight difference on the website personally.

IMO Rocky's alloy bikes are ugly and their carbon bikes are gorgeous. So I'd push for carbon based on that alone :).

I personally would never get the 70 over the 50. I really don't see $1600 of value between the two. You still need to take both model's pads and rotors and put them in the garbage before you ride. You get the same hubs. The rims really aren't actually an upgrade. Likewise handlebars. Sure the brakes and brake levers are better on the 70, but once you put the proper rotors and pads on it's hard to tell the difference except there's no free stroke adjustment on the SLX (which does almost nothing on shimano systems anyway except allowing you to get slightly better bleeds) and you don't get the fancy dimples on the levers of the SLX. You can swap to an XT shifter at some point for minimal cost. Personally I'd go straight to XTR (on both models) because the shiftier is the biggest difference in the actual feel of the system. The actual big difference is the fork.... but I don't see that being worth the cash to upgrade. I can't think of a single person who actually spent time dialing in the Yari who wanted to upgrade it to the charger 2 system after giving the Yari a proper service and seal upgrade (which runs less than the 300 dollar charger system). Even if you DO want a lyrik ultimate, the upgrade cost runs less than 1600 bucks.

So if you want a 70, do yourself a favor and spend the extra 1600 bucks (or less) doing the upgrades that actually matter :)

·
Registered
336 Posts
I wouldn't give too much thought to the weight difference on the website personally.

IMO Rocky's alloy bikes are ugly and their carbon bikes are gorgeous. So I'd push for carbon based on that alone :).

I personally would never get the 70 over the 50. I really don't see $1600 of value between the two. You still need to take both model's pads and rotors and put them in the garbage before you ride. You get the same hubs. The rims really aren't actually an upgrade. Likewise handlebars. Sure the brakes and brake levers are better on the 70, but once you put the proper rotors and pads on it's hard to tell the difference except there's no free stroke adjustment on the SLX (which does almost nothing on shimano systems anyway except allowing you to get slightly better bleeds) and you don't get the fancy dimples on the levers of the SLX. You can swap to an XT shifter at some point for minimal cost. Personally I'd go straight to XTR (on both models) because the shiftier is the biggest difference in the actual feel of the system. The actual big difference is the fork.... but I don't see that being worth the cash to upgrade. I can't think of a single person who actually spent time dialing in the Yari who wanted to upgrade it to the charger 2 system after giving the Yari a proper service and seal upgrade (which runs less than the 300 dollar charger system). Even if you DO want a lyrik ultimate, the upgrade cost runs less than 1600 bucks.

So if you want a 70, do yourself a favor and spend the extra 1600 bucks (or less) doing the upgrades that actually matter :)
haha! you read my mind! I grabbed the Carbon 50 for pretty much all the same things you just listed! I should have it next week. Stoked! But from what I can see the Carbon 50 comes with the Lyrik Select instead of the Yari which is on the 30, but yeah, I saw absolutely no need to get the 70! I have a set of Carbon We Are One hoops I'm going to lace up so I'll ride the WTB's until they break.

·
Registered
336 Posts
And hey...so i guess I won't be getting metal brake pads with fin with the Carbon 50? That's kind of annoying, I saw the cheap rotors in parts list, but it didn't say anything about the brake pads. I see J04C's with the fin for $20. I guess I'll grab some.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Sorry, I use the Yari and Lyrik Select interchangeably because for a while there was a charger damper OEM only yari as well. I guess they're different now and I should update my terminology.

And I don't think the 70 comes with finned pads either, although I haven't seen a 70 in the flesh to date.

·
Registered
336 Posts
more photos mate. i'm about to order this exact bike, but in gray. i've also got a WAO wheelset and Oneup bars and Anvl stem that will replace stock stuff. have you been riding this yet?
I got to ride it yesterday for the first time! I hit some local free ride lines and this bike is wicked fast! I was way ahead of the pace on a trail that I've ridden many times. Hit a pretty big PR on the second run. You'll feel so comfortable down steeps and gnar that it's hard to believe. And it pedals way better than other bikes I've had of this nature, such as a Transition Patrol or Sentinel (I've owned both). Currently, I also have an Ibis Ripmo and I found myself getting back to the top with about the same amount of energy as I would put forth on my Ripmo, but just a little behind the pace of what the Ripmo normally climbs at (which is pretty fast).

·
Registered
856 Posts
that's pretty fair praise to compare it against those bikes, all of which are good climbers, especially the Ibis.

i've read about 5 reviews and had emails with 2 of the reviewers and it's amazing how they say the bike is so versatile and nimble. this and claims of good climbing are making me pull the trigger. i've always been attracted to the Sentinel and love Trannys (still have a Patrol for sale, had a Smuggler, wife rides a Scout) but i don't always want 64° HA and they say it's not nimble at lower speeds.

the reviews say the new S29 is all these things, including the descending you would expect. we've got tight, rough trails with lots of small to medium sniper jumps that are hard to carry speed into without a bigger bike or elite riding chops. sometimes a guys gotta look to the bike to provide that edge when the terrain is gnarly.

i look at the build (i'm a Shimano fan), the geo, the adjustability, the price and the reviews and i think this is the bike.

·
Registered
336 Posts
that's pretty fair praise to compare it against those bikes, all of which are good climbers, especially the Ibis.

i've read about 5 reviews and had emails with 2 of the reviewers and it's amazing how they say the bike is so versatile and nimble. this and claims of good climbing are making me pull the trigger. i've always been attracted to the Sentinel and love Trannys (still have a Patrol for sale, had a Smuggler, wife rides a Scout) but i don't always want 64° HA and they say it's not nimble at lower speeds.

the reviews say the new S29 is all these things, including the descending you would expect. we've got tight, rough trails with lots of small to medium sniper jumps that are hard to carry speed into without a bigger bike or elite riding chops. sometimes a guys gotta look to the bike to provide that edge when the terrain is gnarly.

i look at the build (i'm a Shimano fan), the geo, the adjustability, the price and the reviews and i think this is the bike.
You won't be let down... this bike is the real deal.. I'm off work due to Coronavirus, so I'll be practicing social isolation on the trails over the next couple of weeks, I'll report back with further information!

·
Registered
19 Posts
There is not alot of reviews of this bike online. All I can find is the useless bike magazine one and the drama around the pinkbike test... Anyone out there with a good demo of the bike? Why is it so heavy, is it noticeable? Downhill performance, how does it perform compare to the new Enduro, Wreckoning, megatower? Same with uphill?

All I can find is piss poor review writing useless things as: "The Slayer slay! Reign in blood!!"

Please if you have a real experience with this bike, tell how it stacks up against other long travel 29er.

Cheers

·
Registered
336 Posts
There is not alot of reviews of this bike online. All I can find is the useless bike magazine one and the drama around the pinkbike test... Anyone out there with a good demo of the bike? Why is it so heavy, is it noticeable? Downhill performance, how does it perform compare to the new Enduro, Wreckoning, megatower? Same with uphill?

All I can find is piss poor review writing useless things as: "The Slayer slay! Reign in blood!!"

Please if you have a real experience with this bike, tell how it stacks up against other long travel 29er.

Cheers
I have one, I posted some stuff above, I can't compare it to the bikes you are asking about at the moment. I'm looking forward to spending more time on it. Weather and a pandemic at the moment are not cooperating. It really does not feel that heavy, I've pedaled it around some trails that I normally would ride on my carbon Ripmo just for a test and I did not find myself overly fatigued. It was fine. If I were out for an all day endurance ride maybe it would have caught up to me. This was about a 2 hour ride. The STA puts you in a great climbing position.

On the downs, it really takes off with little effort. You will need to keep some weight on the front of the bike, especially in berms and turns and adapt to the timing coming out of them. I had a Transition Sentinel and it's similar to that bike in that sense, but it's way more stable on the steeps and gnarly stuff, rock gardens,etc. Jumps fine, and feels lively. I think it's going to be my most ridden bike and that usually means it's my funnest bike.

·
Registered
856 Posts
there are a few in depth reviews that get into the detail you are seeking, but of course, more real world experiences are desirable. i'd let you know personally, but i can't order one until one of my bikes sells and with the current situation it's not looking good.

Vitalmtb, reviewer is a professional trainer and coach and a very hard charger. his review is worthwhile. the Singletracks review was also very good. enduro mtb has the latest which compares it against about 15 other bikes.

when i say good, i mean i think they are thorough and critical, not that they think the bike is great. at this point there's still mostly first ride reviews and as you pointed out, the monkeys at Bikemag that like to say things like 'free ride is back baby!' instead of focusing on details and comparisons.

i've had emails between a couple of these reviewers and the points they seem to all agree on is that it is surprisingly well rounded, trail friendly and climbs well, in addition to incredible descending with some adjustability due to the ride 4. every single review mentions maneuverability and playfulness which came as a surprise to me. Joel from Vital said it was less a park sled than the Enduro and some other long travel 29ers he's ridden including his personal Geometron.

as far as why it's heavy, RM addresses that themselves. it's a highly reinforced frame, coil sprung, with DD casing tires. did you expect that to be a featherweight? if you want a 30 pound bike, the BC edition Instinct can be had for that weight.

also spoke with Jesse Melamed and he said his EWS Instinct was only a pound lighter set up to race than his Slayer, which they are going to ride this year if it ever happens.

for my needs, i've heard enough, i'm pulling the trigger as soon as i can. C50 wagon wheeler.

·
Registered
19 Posts
there are a few in depth reviews that get into the detail you are seeking, but of course, more real world experiences are desirable. i'd let you know personally, but i can't order one until one of my bikes sells and with the current situation it's not looking good.

Vitalmtb, reviewer is a professional trainer and coach and a very hard charger. his review is worthwhile. the Singletracks review was also very good. enduro mtb has the latest which compares it against about 15 other bikes.

when i say good, i mean i think they are thorough and critical, not that they think the bike is great. at this point there's still mostly first ride reviews and as you pointed out, the monkeys at Bikemag that like to say things like 'free ride is back baby!' instead of focusing on details and comparisons.

i've had emails between a couple of these reviewers and the points they seem to all agree on is that it is surprisingly well rounded, trail friendly and climbs well, in addition to incredible descending with some adjustability due to the ride 4. every single review mentions maneuverability and playfulness which came as a surprise to me. Joel from Vital said it was less a park sled than the Enduro and some other long travel 29ers he's ridden including his personal Geometron.

as far as why it's heavy, RM addresses that themselves. it's a highly reinforced frame, coil sprung, with DD casing tires. did you expect that to be a featherweight? if you want a 30 pound bike, the BC edition Instinct can be had for that weight.

also spoke with Jesse Melamed and he said his EWS Instinct was only a pound lighter set up to race than his Slayer, which they are going to ride this year if it ever happens.

for my needs, i've heard enough, i'm pulling the trigger as soon as i can. C50 wagon wheeler.
Thanks for pointing out Singletrack review! Seems like an interesting bike for me. I was waiting for the new Evil Wreckoning but I'm having serious issue with my current Evil Offering.

I used to ride a sentinel, loved the bike geo but rear suspension was poor on my opinion.

As mentionned earlier, the frame weight is really heavy. I'm not a weight weenie but I find a bit weird that the carbon frame @ 4200cad$ is the same weight as a alloy sentinel. But then again, I'm 6'2" 205lbs, so I prefer a stiff heavy bike instead of a light flexy bike.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Thanks for pointing out Singletrack review! Seems like an interesting bike for me. I was waiting for the new Evil Wreckoning but I'm having serious issue with my current Evil Offering.

I used to ride a sentinel, loved the bike geo but rear suspension was poor on my opinion.

As mentionned earlier, the frame weight is really heavy. I'm not a weight weenie but I find a bit weird that the carbon frame @ 4200cad$ is the same weight as a alloy sentinel. But then again, I'm 6'2" 205lbs, so I prefer a stiff heavy bike instead of a light flexy bike.
The swingarm is alloy, so it's not exactly all carbon. However, I think the carbon is just laid up heavier, but honestly I don't feel a major difference. I'll confirm that it pedals much better than my alloy Sentinel and feels more nimble. I liked the Sentinel for some things but it felt like pedaling a couch sofa at times. The Slayer is not like that.

·
29ers Forever
2021 Rocky Mountain Altitude A70
3,418 Posts

If you like stiff bikes, the Slayer is about as stiff as climbable bikes go. I rode a carbon 29er at a demo day last year and my dad bought an alloy 27.5 in the Winter. It's light on its wheels, but its a slow climber and once you pick it up you can really feel the weight of it.
If you want a lightweight but capable bike, the Instinct BC and Altitude are more in that direction, but if you want a bike that can bash anything and ride lighter than its weight, the Slayer is the one for you.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Is it possible to buy a Slayer frame with a Fox X2 instead of the DHX2? Every Rocky rider seems to ride the X2 and I wouldn't mind the weight saving and extra tunability of the air shock.

901 - 920 of 949 Posts