Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 949 Posts

·
Live Free & Ride
1,574 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
I'm glad to see the slayer back! I loved my first gen slayer and the 2012 gen (3rd? I think). Went to a Kona and love it, but this puts RM back on my radar for my next bike.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Still riding my 2008 slayer sxc70 ! The head angle is too steep and the bike is too short for my taste. The position and the rear suspension are not ideal for climbing. But it's still a great bike.

This new one could make me upgrade my bike to full carbon :D

·
Registered
689 Posts
Having ridden the Maiden, the crossover is obvious--this is a DH bike masked as something you can pedal. Make no mistake, you definitely know your pedaling uphill on this machine, but the moment you point it back down, that's quickly forgotten. It's straight up a monster on the downs. Aside from the plow factor, still retained a good playfulness when things got tight and I managed to clear all the switchbacks without much effort.

If you're looking for a sledgehammer, yeah, this is the ticket.

Oh at 6', the large was perfect.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Having ridden the Maiden, the crossover is obvious--this is a DH bike masked as something you can pedal. Make no mistake, you definitely know your pedaling uphill on this machine, but the moment you point it back down, that's quickly forgotten. It's straight up a monster on the downs. Aside from the plow factor, still retained a good playfulness when things got tight and I managed to clear all the switchbacks without much effort.

If you're looking for a sledgehammer, yeah, this is the ticket.

Oh at 6', the large was perfect.
it pedals up hill slow because of it's angles or the suspension is really open?

·
Registered
143 Posts
I thought it climbed technical terrain amazingly . So much traction . Just keep spinning . It seemed to climb technical terrain better than the sb6

·
Cactus Cuddler
1,818 Posts
I got a chance to ride on a Slayer this last saturday.

My description of the bike is that it is so good, you'll get yourself into trouble by arriving into turns and chunky sections faster than you considered possible, and suspension that is so well sorted you can push really hard before running out of talent. Definitely a bike that lets you ride at a really high level, and usable as sledgehammer. I didn't get to ride it on a trail wholly deserving of that capability, but it was extremely happy with my 235lb of stupid stringing together the worst possible line choice over everywhere I took it.

It happened to be the full bling Fox36/FloatX2/SixC demo unit, and considering how long the demo bikes have been in the wild the dings in the finish everywhere can only be explained by journalists and consumer demo riders finding themselves pushing their own limits and discovering where those are. I certainly did, and collected some cacti impacts as a result.
As it turns out, 800mm bars and impressive cornering grip is a combination for collecting cactus spines from the inside of turns, and carrying ludicrous speed and laying down two-wheel drifts in loose sections means collecting cactus contact from the outside of turns.

Climbing capability is quite good - not sure how much of that is the high end build across the board (got to be a bit), but I know that I'd take the climbing behavior of the Slayer with 2.5 DHF Minions over a carbon Pipeline on 2.8 Rekons, and the Pipeline wasn't a slouch. The size Large didn't really fit me, the 35mm stem didn't help a ton. Still an absolute blast, and if I spent much time at the bike park or running rough enduro stages where I could send it, then I'd get one.
Really makes me curious what Rocky could do if they made a Slayer-type 29er, because that would be my jam.

TL;DR: Try one if you can.
I thought it was amazing, even though I didn't have the right trail or really a use for that bike, it was awesome to see what it can do. I was finding doubles on stuff I wasn't aware was possible to link up, and turning what would be rolled step-downs into boosted drops to flat.

1 - 20 of 949 Posts