Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
No Clue Crew
7,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to find someone who owns or has experience with the Rocky Mountain Flow FS, which I take is the full suspension model of their h/t d/j bike. Anyone?

I'm in the market for my first fs mountain bike. I'm 36 years old, 6'2", 175 pounds. I've raced and ridden BMX since I was a kid and currently own a hardtail bike. As I said, I want to get into the full suspension game.

I want an "all-mountain"-type bike for Arizona trail riding ~5 inches of travel, a bike I can ride on tech xc, do some jumping, some very light freeriding and can still pedal around everywhere.

With my budget, a local shop has suggested the Flow FS and I'm hoping to find some firsthand experience with the bike. Any info is much appreciated.
dion

·
No Clue Crew
7,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure if that's in my price range, which is roughly $1,500. Plus the Flow is evidently built more like a BMX bike, which I like a lot.
d

·
Registered
939 Posts
well, rocky is a great company and makes great bikes. I dont think you can go wrong w/ the flow, i just personally dont know a whole lot about it. sounds good though, i was looking at the flow hardtail as a dirtjumper myself. i say go for it

·
Registered
832 Posts
The Flow FS is a brand new model this year, as such it might be kind of tough finding a lot of opinions on it. That said, Rocky makes great bikes, can't go wrong with one.

How's the fork on the FS? Isn't it a lower end, made in Taiwan, Marzocchi. Does it have SSV dampening, or is it elastomer?

·
No Clue Crew
7,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here are the bike's specs. Overall, don't seem bad for a manufacturer spec:

http://www.bikes.com/bikes/2005/flow/flow-fs.aspx

It's the Marz. DJ fork, which does seem to be the weak link. With that said and given my lack of experience with a FS bike, probably not that big a deal. I can always upgrade in the future if necessary.

I understand it's a new model; was hoping to find someone here that actually owned or had ridden one.
d

·
livin' large
534 Posts
The Flow FS seems to be a slayer frame with a coilover and more freeriding/dirt jumping type parts. That being said I would see if your local shop might swap out the fork at purchase to something a little better (marz fr sl works well in my experience) The Slayer rides great so I can't see the Flow being any different.

·
Born of Fire
331 Posts
canadian-clydesdale said:
The Flow FS seems to be a slayer frame with a coilover and more freeriding/dirt jumping type parts. That being said I would see if your local shop might swap out the fork at purchase to something a little better (marz fr sl works well in my experience) The Slayer rides great so I can't see the Flow being any different.
My local LBS has two in stock. The main frame is beefier than the Slayer as well. It resembles the Reaper hard tail from back in the day.

·
customized
3,123 Posts
It has the same geometry as the Slayer... they have some at a local shop. A side by side comparison shows a much heavier and stronger bike meant for some serious big hits. The front end of the bike is set up to be a lot stronger than the Slayer. The rear end looked nearly the same. I actually stood over both bikes and besides weight and a taller standover on the Flow, they seem nearly the same. The specs show the headtube is taller. I'd say the Flow was 5 pounds heavier than the Slayer 30.

The Flow FS isn't a all mountain bike, it won't feel good at all in the rough. The fork just can't keep up with the high speed stuff. All said though, it might be a good buy for you if your gonna upgrade the fork.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.