Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Which Should I Buy!! Rocky Mountain ETSX-50 vs Iron horse Hollowpoint - HELP

Well this may seem odd to some I am trying to decide between these two frames. I ride a lot XC, I currently ride a hardtail, which has been fine on all the trails I ride, but I really want to try full suspension. Heres the situation, the Rocky Mountain is going to cost more than the Mkiii, and I not sure if it is worth the extra money. The ETSX-50 is a 2002, completely rebuilt last off season, the mkiii is a 2006 and was also rebuilt in the offseason. I have read a ton of reviews that people love the mkiii, due to its low pedal feedback, and great climbing. On the other hand, the ETSX is a Rocky Mountain. They are both complete bike with similar levels of components and the price difference is $250.

Here are pictures of both them, I am mainly looking for a comparison of the two and opinions. Thanksl

North Face Kichatna
Fork - Fox Vanilla R 100
Shock - Manitou QR
Brakes - Shimano SLX
Crank - Fire X
Derailuer - SRAM X5 Rear, Deore Front
Wheel Set - WTB Speed Wheels

Rocky Mountain ETSX-50
Fork - Marzocchi Bomber (Dual Air)
Shock - Fox Float RL
Brakes - Shimano Deore
Crank - Race Face
Derailuer - Shimano XT
Wheel Set - Vuelta Light

·
Registered
213 Posts
Rocky mountain

Hi

We are talking about used bikes. Therefore I would choose the one with a history of longevity.

I know the Ironhorse Mkiii frame had problems with the rear triangle breaking.

I remember that I did consider the ETSX-50 at one time and I still think of it as a good bike. You might want to check reviews in MTBR.

I only posted to tell you about historical problems with the Mkiii frame.
sorry that I am not more help.
Poser

·
Registered
499 Posts
That version of the Iron Horse has not had any real issues. I had mine for 5 years of hard use before I moved on. I would take the Iron Horse out of those 2 (since warranties are void since both bikes are used and one company is dead).

I would look at other frames as well since deals ($500-$1000 or so) can be had for new with warranty frames with better geometry and shocks.

·
Bicyclochondriac.
14,452 Posts
I'm confused:confused:

You say you are looking at a 2006 MKIII, but the top picture and description is for a different bike.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You have not mentioned how much the bikes will cost. Unless it is SUPER cheap, I'd pass on both.
They both ended up being 400, I picked up the Rocky Mountain on wed. I am happy with it so far, it needs the oil and seals changed in the fork but otherwise feels great. Was that what ya meant by super cheap?

·
Registered
69 Posts
My GF has the ETSX50, 2008 model though with the carbon rear swing-arm. It is a great bike and climbs incredibly well. I out-climbed other riders on some ugly rocky terrain during a race. I also think the Rocky Mountain brand is something special. Wondeful machine. congratulations. You made the right choice..:thumbsup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts