Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Too many choices. If anyone can be of assistance I would greatly appreciate it.

I am looking for a new FS bike that crosses between a X country and Freeride. I am comining off a sweet Trek 8000 HD with a Fox Talas fork. I want to keep this fork for the new bike a buy the bike with this fork.

I love to climb and want something that will climb and take fairly big hits and smooth out the downhill. I believe they are calling these bikes "ALL MOUNTAIN" these days.

I have narrowed the manufactures down to the ones mentioned above. Based on my research these manufactures seem to be some of the best. I live in Boise, ID and we have limitted shops that carry these manufacturers so "demoing" them is a bit of a challenge.

I am interested in the (Rocky Mountain) ETSX-70, (Ellsworth) ID, (Santa Cruz) Superlight or Blur, and (Ventana) X5 respevtively. Funds are fairly limitted but I am willing to spend some bucks to get a decent bike. I also do not want a tank and would like to keep the weight under 30 lbs. I am 5'10" and 165 if that matters in the selection process.

Can anyone offer input?????

Thanks...I am gonna hang up now and go listen to myself

·
Premium Member
7,237 Posts
slowtwitch said:

Do a search, this has only been answered about 100 times in the past few months. An hour or two scrolling through the what bike to buy board will answer every question you asked and more.

·
LBS Manager
1,918 Posts
Rm Etsx-70

slowtwitch said:

I am looking for a new FS bike that crosses between a X country and Freeride. I am comining off a sweet Trek 8000 HD with a Fox Talas fork. I want to keep this fork for the new bike a buy the bike with this fork.

I love to climb and want something that will climb and take fairly big hits and smooth out the downhill. I believe they are calling these bikes "ALL MOUNTAIN" these days.

I have narrowed the manufactures down to the ones mentioned above. Based on my research these manufactures seem to be some of the best. I live in Boise, ID and we have limitted shops that carry these manufacturers so "demoing" them is a bit of a challenge.

I am interested in the (Rocky Mountain) ETSX-70, (Ellsworth) ID, (Santa Cruz) Superlight or Blur, and (Ventana) X5 respevtively. Funds are fairly limitted but I am willing to spend some bucks to get a decent bike. I also do not want a tank and would like to keep the weight under 30 lbs. I am 5'10" and 165 if that matters in the selection process.

I love my etsx I am 5'8" and ride a 16.5 fram with a 100 ml stem and it fits grate if you like upright geometry. The only other bike in your list I put side by side with it is the ID. Thats just my opinion.

·
I don't do PC
7,401 Posts
slowtwitch said:

You should look at the 5 Spot also, the X5 sounds like the best option from what you listed but will also be the heaviest(I think).

·
Basura Blanca
1,796 Posts
Unless the X-5 geometry is more appealing to you than the El Saltamontes (they're pretty much the same), then with your minimal weight, the Salty would be a better choice. Plenty strong for you, for all-mountain riding, and can easily be built <30#, whereas the X-5 takes more work and more $$ to bring under 30# and still have a beefy bike. Can't comment on your other choices, but I've owned both a Salty and an X-5.
- Joe

·
Registered
87 Posts
I would second the recommendation for the ETSX. There are three options: the 30, the 50, and the 70. I went with the 50 because I got a great year-end deal last fall (and because they didn't have any 70s left). I absolutely love the responsiveness of the frame and the lack of pedal bob. The adjustability is the icing on the cake.

Last year's model didn't come with the adjsutable fork, so I upgraded to a Talas RLC so I have 80mm to 125mm in the front paired with 3.5", 4", or 4.5" in the back. As such, the bike is truly a "do anything" or "all mountain" bike. You can crank it down for pure XC riding or flip to the long travel settings for increashed "plushness" on rougher terrain. I honestly wouldn't trade mine for anything.

For some reason, the RM frames tend to fit people very well or very poorly. For me, it fit like a glove. Your experience may vary, so definitely try before you buy. Also, keep in mind that the frame is hand-made and the quality shows.

I am thrilled with mine and have continued to upgrade it, turning it into what I consider to be the perfect bike. Right now it's full 2004 XTR with an Easton carbon bar, Thomson stem and post, Mavic tubeless rims with XTR disc hubs, Maxxis High Roller 2.1 tires with Stan's No Tubes, ODI lock-on grips, and one of the sweet Rocky Mountain red maple leaf saddles. It's fast and responsive, making my trips down the singletrack pure bliss.

The other bike you might want to consider is the Rocky Mountain Slayer (again there are three models: 30, 50, and 70). It's designed as more of a trail bike, but it's still light enough for XC use. I'd probably stick with the ETSX if I was in your shoes, but I figured I'd throw this out there, too.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Have You Considered the Iron Horse Hollowpoints?

slowtwitch said:

Have you considered any other brand? All of the above you mentioned are excellent choices, but I was in the same position you were in beginning of the year. I was coming from a completely tricked out GF 02 Tassajara HT(XT everything, Avid 7's brakes, RF Cranks, w/ Duke XC 03 fork).

After testing alot of "All-Mountain bikes in January, I took a risk and bought a closeout Hollowpoint Expert 03 from Supergo. It is awesome, XT, drivetrain w/ Fox Float AVA (back), and Fox Float RL 100 up from. 5 inches of pure bump smoothing, non-bob (seated of course) climbing I have experienced. I can easily take 3 to 4 foot drops and climb like a goat and still ride 3 to 4 hours. I bought it for $1300. It should be worth double because of it's components. The 04's are sweet and Supergo has started marking them down. Anyway, do a search on the Hollowpoints to get a fair and balanced reviews. I for one love mine! :)

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
slowtwitch said:

The bikes that you're considering are very different. The ETSX is geared more towards racing and not FR. The Superlight shouldn't be used for FR. The Blur is on the edge of FR, but if you want a Santa Cruz to meet your wants....then the Heckler is a better fit. The X5 is the burliest bike of them all, but I doubt that you'd get it under 30 pounds.

If you're not married to these manufacturers, you may want to consider a Turner 5 Spot. It's designed for trail riding and light FR. It uses a coil or air shock. You can get the bike at around 30 pounds with coil front and rear or as light as 27 pounds (without going stupid light) using air shock and fork.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Agree w- Blue Shorts...

Blue Shorts said:
The bikes that you're considering are very different. The ETSX is geared more towards racing and not FR. The Superlight shouldn't be used for FR. The Blur is on the edge of FR, but if you want a Santa Cruz to meet your wants....then the Heckler is a better fit. The X5 is the burliest bike of them all, but I doubt that you'd get it under 30 pounds.

If you're not married to these manufacturers, you may want to consider a Turner 5 Spot. It's designed for trail riding and light FR. It uses a coil or air shock. You can get the bike at around 30 pounds with coil front and rear or as light as 27 pounds (without going stupid light) using air shock and fork.
The SC Heckler is worth checking out. It fits the XC to FR much better than the other SC choices.

Can't go wrong with either the Turner 5 Spot or Ventana El Salt. There's also the Ventana El Chamuco but like the X5 it's pushing a bit more FR in weight and handling.

If you aren't scared off by the Ellsworth track record of breaking frames, you might want to consider the Moment as well as the ID. The Moment doesn't appear to be as tall as the ID which is a complaint I've heard about the ID.

There's also the Foes FXR and the Yeti 575. Man I wish I could have a garage of bikes...

·
Registered
80 Posts
i agree on the etsx, but i would check out the slayer if you want a ride that is a little more toward the freeride end of things, i chose it over the etsx for a few reasons (including price) but one of the other reasons was that it was a little more on the freeride end of things, it has 5 inches of travel and yet is suprisingly easy to pedal up hills, i have the slayer 30 which happens to have the lowest component spec of all of them, but even with lx components mine weighs just over 30 lbs, and it would be easy to get it under that. i would suggest looking at the slayer 70 or 50 for you

as for another suggestion, i have always liked blurs, and got to ride a friends a little, it is a very nice ride but a little more on the xc side of things for my taste. i think that if you wanted a santa cruz the heckler would be perfect, i have not ridden one yet but have heard very good things...

good luck on your hunt :D

·
orthonormal
5,136 Posts
Blue Shorts said:

Help me out here: A 5-spot frame weighs 7.2 lbs. and a X-5 is 8 lbs. You can build a 5-Spot as light as 27 lbs. but you doubt a X-5 can be built up under 30 lbs. What am I missing?

Must be the Horst link.

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
If your considering an X5

slowtwitch said:

think about 5 spot...

·
Registered
668 Posts
A friend of mine is in the process of looking at new bikes, and it's hard not to recommend the Yeti 575 for at least a test ride. 5.75" of travel, can be built reasonably without superlight parts to 27lbs, and it rides great. It is oriented more toward XC than the Heckler, but it's probably capable of taking a good amount of abuse. All this, and you can get one built for low 2K.

Food for thought...

·
The Ancient One
1,573 Posts
andy f said:
Help me out here: A 5-spot frame weighs 7.2 lbs. and a X-5 is 8 lbs. You can build a 5-Spot as light as 27 lbs. but you doubt a X-5 can be built up under 30 lbs. What am I missing?

Must be the Horst link.
Yes, it's the Horst link. When you have a floating rear link, you don't have to count its weight.

·
orthonormal
5,136 Posts
Steve from JH said:
Yes, it's the Horst link. When you have a floating rear link, you don't have to count its weight.
Did you ever buy yourself a longer travel bike?

I recently traded my Z150 for a TALAS. Feels like I have a new bike.

·
Registered
681 Posts
You kind of have a split list. The Ellsworth ID and the Ventana X5 are similar in one class. Then, the SC Superlight/Blur and RM are in another more cross country class, so these aren't really comparable bikes. If you want some in the center of the two, I would personally recommend the Ellsworth Moment or the Ventana Saltamontes. In my opinion these are the best all-mountain bikes, period. Plus, if you search on eBay they can be had in very good condition for fairly cheap.

·
orthonormal
5,136 Posts
gonzostrike said:
hey andy, what did you do with the Z150?
Traded it for a TALAS RL to a guy from Minnesota. I wanted to sell and buy a Manitou Nixon but the no cash aspect of the trade was appealing.

Gotta save the pennies for a new Ellsworth. I hear they have a lifetime warranty.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts