Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally tore down my '03 instinct the other day and noticed a lot of stickyness in the suspension. I figured I just need to replace the bushings, so I took the whole swingarm/pivot assembly apart just to look at it. There was some sort of sticky substance on the main pivot bushing, which I assume was part of the problem. Unfoutunately, I cracked a bunch of the teflon reducers and now I really need to replace the bushings.

I contacted the LBS and they said they can order the bushings for $45. However, they said they would need to ream out the main pivot to make it work. Does anyone know if this is common? I would've thought that the bushings were the same on all the frames. The LBS guy said it had to with the travel difference between the element and the instinct. Does this make sense? I just want to be sure before someone reams out a perfectly good frame.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Talk to Rocky, they will tell you what type of bushings you require before some dumbass at your LBS screw things up. Better to be safe than sorry and end up destroying a good frame and coughing up more dough for a new frame. Frames are not cheap to replace especially for doing minor modifcations to it and your current frame still has warranty. If your LBS said about reaming, Rocky would flip and point the finger of blame on them.

·
ups and downs
15,600 Posts
I'd think that the only reason that the LBS would suggest modifications like that would be because they aren't bothering to stock older parts kits or something. I bet those older kits are still available. Rocky's made some updates to the Element over the past few years so they're likely trying to cram a newer Element bushing kit into your 2003 Instinct frame.

2003 was the last year of the Instinct, they reduced the line to just include the Element in 2004. About that time they replaced some bushings with bearings on the Element frame. Is the LBS talking about changing some of your bushings to bearings?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses guys.

The LBS guy is ordering the bushings directly from rocky (he doesn't regularly stock them). He seems to think that the instinct had a slightly different main pivot than the rest. Maybe I should email rocky and compare that with what he's ordered. Does RM usually respond to individuals?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Rocky. I put in a call to RM customer service and left a message. I'll probably call back later.

I was, however, searching old post and found this one about pivot overhaul.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=40479&highlight=pivot

Sounds like one of the guys actually had a Rocky Rep come and ream out the BB pivot to allow better rotation. This gives me more confidence that the LBS guy probably knows what he's talking about. He does seem to know a lot about all the different kinds of RM bikes.

Still gonna try to get a hold of RM cust. service just to be sure.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No Reaming!

Direct from RM Customer Servc. They said the bushings should be tough to get in and need to be "pressed" in.

I'll have to see what the LBS is talking about when the bushings come in.

Thanks Guys!

·
Registered
554 Posts
I had to sign up to this site just to post a response to this Reaming issue.

Don't for any reason allow anyone to ream anything on your bike. I've replaced bushings, bolts and the teflon parts you're talking about and yes they are hard to press in but they are designed to be that way. If you call Rocky Moutain directly at (604) 527-9993 (ask for customer service / parts) and give them the year and model, they will give you the part numbers you need to make sure your LBS orders the right ones. Each bushing kit is a tiny bit different so modify your frame to accomodate a $20.00 part.

Hope that helps, I'm in the process of rebuilding a 2000 Spice for my buddy and called Rocky for the part numbers for bushings and I have them on this desk as I type this. If also done this for my Slayer and my other buddy's Element.

In the event that you are interested in the rebuild, I'll be posting a thread with some pics (seems there are a few people in here doing the same thing............)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.